News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Pokemon Yellow NES Translation Project  (Read 160663 times)

Lugia2009

• Yes that was a banana. No one expects the banana
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Yellow NES Translation Project
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 12:02:53 pm »
I looked at the Max Potion!--------- problem and it's because I forgot to put a "0D" at the end of Max Potion!. The 0D in the text system tells the game that that piece of text is finished.

And I looked at the problem for the Pokemon graphics, and it's because the sprites are going into the text part of the PPU. So I just need to do a little more reorganizing with that.

And for the graphics appearing in the dialogue box, I still need to do some looking to fix that.

December 13, 2012, 11:18:23 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Now, some rather strange things going on with some trainers. Some text would get garbled when they send out their first Pokémon. For some, it would be the text that has yet to be translated, that text being the Trainer's class, but for the others I have encountered, the text is completely garbled with graphics, even covering "sent out" and then even a majority the name of the sent out.

That, I'm really not sure what is causing it. It may be because of the size of the pokemon sprites.
Which trainers did you fight when this happened?

I did some reorganizing of the battle PPU and fixed the problem with the Pokemon sprites, and with some of the text.
Here's a new patch:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/23698591/NJ046%20-%20Pokemon%20Yellow%2012-13-12.rar
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 11:18:23 pm by Lugia2009 »

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 03:08:13 am »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:05:39 am by Chpexo »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2012, 06:58:49 am »
I made a title screen hack for you:

Here's the patch. Patch it to a translated ROM.

Wow, nice.

Aerezoloh

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2012, 08:03:07 am »
Now, some rather strange things going on with some trainers. Some text would get garbled when they send out their first Pokémon. For some, it would be the text that has yet to be translated, that text being the Trainer's class, but for the others I have encountered, the text is completely garbled with graphics, even covering "sent out" and then even a majority the name of the sent out.
Which trainers did you fight when this happened?

A Swimmer, right before Misty in Cerulean Gym.

A hiker on Route 25.

Two trainers, a Junior Trainer ♂, and a Bug Catcher on Route 6.

Two trainers on the St. Anne, one of those being a firebreather.

Save for the Junior Trainer, I have screens of the trainers in question.

If needed, I'll start over and hunt down that junior trainer and screen the offender. Hopefully these should be of assistance.

Update : Played a bit more up to the Rock Tunnel, clearing trainers in Route 11 to check for more graphic glitches, there were none. However, on Route 9, I did manage to find a trainer with a name that gets garbled when he sends out a Beedrill.

Also while playing, I have come across some unusual bugs, relating to two certain moves. A move which I believe is Bite, due to its typing and Power would sometimes give the message where a Pokémon is hurt due to poisoning, but no animation shows, nor any damage occurs. Repeatedly using the move for a chance for it to happen again gives a message where it is already hurt, and which would also be worth pointing out for later, that it would write over the first two letters of the player's Pokémon's name. I have encountered this while a Machop was using a move which also caused this oddity.

Take note I was using the move "Bite" on a different opposing Pokémon at the time to show the oddity.

And here's the other move which also does this bug.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:25:29 am by Aerezoloh »

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 01:43:42 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:05:21 am by Chpexo »

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 01:55:25 pm »
Don't they use widechars though?  It's really worth it moving to 1-byte ASCII.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 03:05:45 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:05:06 am by Chpexo »

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2012, 04:54:49 pm »
I made a title screen hack for you:

Good job! :thumbsup: I like it, thanks. :)

Can you change the text speed? It's awfully slow.

I think so too, I'll see if I can change it.

I also wonder why you created a new bank of English characters. Nanjing ROMs already have a English character set and sometimes even utilize it.

At first I didn't realize that the game's text system was already set up to accept English text. I was going to change it back, but decided not to since it's going to be translated anyway.

I have another idea for the Chinese text bank though. I'm going to use it to create the move names to save space and try to avoid risking any bugs appearing. Plus it'll save space having 4 English characters for every Chinese character.

Some of the graphics are messed up because the text takes up way more space than it should and overflows.

The text is stored as in the memmory:

O h !  A  w i l d  R a t t a t a  a p p e a r e d.

Opposed to:

Oh! A wild Rattata appeared.

In Chinese the extra space is essential for displaying the complex characters, however in English it is downright wasteful.

I agree, I'm trying to see if I can change it, no luck yet.

Also Poke'mon? Pokémon.

I can change one of the useless English characters to add the é.

A Swimmer, right before Misty in Cerulean Gym.

A hiker on Route 25.

Two trainers, a Junior Trainer ♂, and a Bug Catcher on Route 6.

Two trainers on the St. Anne, one of those being a firebreather.

Save for the Junior Trainer, I have screens of the trainers in question.

Alright, I'll look into it.

Also while playing, I have come across some unusual bugs, relating to two certain moves. A move which I believe is Bite, due to its typing and Power would sometimes give the message where a Pokémon is hurt due to poisoning, but no animation shows, nor any damage occurs. Repeatedly using the move for a chance for it to happen again gives a message where it is already hurt, and which would also be worth pointing out for later, that it would write over the first two letters of the player's Pokémon's name. I have encountered this while a Machop was using a move which also caused this oddity.

Take note I was using the move "Bite" on a different opposing Pokémon at the time to show the oddity.

Alright, I'll check this out.

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2012, 07:22:47 pm »
O h
That indicates it's using wide characters.  A wide char is 2bytes long vs the 1 byte used for ascii, and depending on the type of system they used the upper byte will either be 0x00 or an indicator like 0x81 etc.

How you'd fix this is highly dependant on how the chinese characters are stored; ie. what the high byte would be set to.  Typically if the chinese always has a high byte outside the printable range you can get away with testing if the char falls within the ASCII range (0x20 through 0x7E inclusive) and advance only a single byte at a time through your text.  Otherwise it gets more complicated and would be dependant on their system.

I'm guessing right now they're just reading chars in a short at a time, right?  You'd have to trace all the routines that will read text and either change them accordingly or link them to another routine that can do it for them.  It's usually not a huge ordeal, at least compared to things like VWF.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2012, 07:48:23 pm »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:01:03 am by Chpexo »

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2012, 07:59:35 pm »
All the wonderful differences that set this apart from the gameboy game are dissapearing. Are you guys sure we want the gameboy game, only in color and a wider screen? I think you should of stuck with the original title screen myself.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2012, 07:09:42 am »
I'm very fond of Lei Dian Huang Bi Ka Qiu Chuan Shuo. I listed it as a surprise among the top 100 NES/Famicom games editorial I spent far too long on last year. http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2011/10/19/top-100-nesfamicom-games-list-39-30/

I'm been aiming on another project - to map every area and create a global world map as it appears in the game. I'll upload what I've started if that's okay with you guys.

Aerezoloh

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2012, 02:30:28 am »
Been playing a bit more in what time I have, clearing out the routes and other areas of trainers.

Found some more text garbling goodness as shown here.

Also playing, I came across some very unusual oddities, although extremely minor. Some trainers when they approach you, animate rather strangely. Instances being floating backwards to the player character in several locations, one sprite wonking out in Rock Tunnel when he walks down to you, and even one sprite jiving up and down while walking left to approach you for a battle.

Also, while hunting down some more trainers, managed to come across a move that causes a fake poisoned message, same as the previous two moves I have seen.

Also, one last thing. Deciding to check the Pokémon Deposited and came across how Charmander's last two letters break out the message box. Would it be possible to move the Level numbers up one tile and the names  two tiles back?

pikahax

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 05:32:14 pm »
Maybe we could fix the text glitches by having an extended header and set the sub mapper to 5 (MMC5).
You can even use it to take advantage of additional sound channels.
For once the save wasn't loading. I was a dummy for disabling the PRG-NVRAM.
By default, the PRG-NVRAM for battery backed saves is 8 KB.

Dizzy9

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 05:30:54 am »

Do this, I say.
I mean, resize white box by 2 and move by one pattern to the left. Then move all objects inside white box by 1 pattern to the left.
Resize green name boxes by 2. And, finally, move "L **number** " one pattern up and pokemon's name two pattern left.
This way you can gain 4 patterns for pokemon name. Should be enough.

Maybe we could fix the text glitches by having an extended header and set the sub mapper to 5 (MMC5).
How adding a sub mapper alone can fix text glitches?

Lugia2009

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 08:10:52 am »
Do this, I say.
I mean, resize white box by 2 and move by one pattern to the left. Then move all objects inside white box by 1 pattern to the left.
Resize green name boxes by 2. And, finally, move "L **number** " one pattern up and pokemon's name two pattern left.
This way you can gain 4 patterns for pokemon name. Should be enough.

I could do that, it shouldn't be too hard.

Been playing a bit more in what time I have, clearing out the routes and other areas of trainers.

Thanks for posting up pics of which trainers have been causing the problems.
Sorry I haven't gotten to look into the problem yet. Hopefully today I'll have a chance to look into it.

I edited the titlescreen to be more like the original. However becuase of space, I can't include the pikachus around the border

That's okay, It looks awesome. Thanks for making it. :)

I'm very fond of Lei Dian Huang Bi Ka Qiu Chuan Shuo. I listed it as a surprise among the top 100 NES/Famicom games editorial I spent far too long on last year. http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/2011/10/19/top-100-nesfamicom-games-list-39-30/

It's one of my favorite NES games too, I would probably like it even more than the original Pokemon Yellow once it's done being translated.

I'm been aiming on another project - to map every area and create a global world map as it appears in the game. I'll upload what I've started if that's okay with you guys.

That's okay with me, looking forward to it. :)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 08:21:02 am »
So what's the point of this if you are making changes to make the game exactly like the gameboy version? Is color really that big a draw? With the border you aren't even getting a bigger playing field. The music won't exactly be the same but will that keep you playing? Does the emulator the gameboy game is playing on really make a difference?

Also remember to make missingno #0 and order him that way on the pokedex. Thanks.

locolol

• That penguin sure looks pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2012, 08:29:01 am »
You're doing a great job there Lugia2009, keep up the good work  :thumbsup:

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 08:31:16 am »
So what's the point of this if you are making changes to make the game exactly like the gameboy version? Is color really that big a draw? With the border you aren't even getting a bigger playing field. The music won't exactly be the same but will that keep you playing? Does the emulator the gameboy game is playing on really make a difference?

I agree with this. It'd be nice to make it look similar to the originals, but not so much that it'd be the same as playing the game on a GBC emulator. I like how, in the screenshots I've seen, it uses the sprites from the GBA games. Also, I like seeing a giant Pikachu coming at me. <3

Also remember to make missingno #0 and order him that way on the pokedex. Thanks.

This too. XD
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Aerezoloh

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2012, 06:06:23 am »
It's one of my favorite NES games too, I would probably like it even more than the original Pokemon Yellow once it's done being translated.

This is the only Pokémon port I actually liked and found time to invest due to how well made it is compared to the other ports I have come across by other Chinese companies. It does become something of a challenging grindfest when Pokémon get much higher in levels though. This is really noticeable when Pokémon start reaching around the mid 30's, the required amount of experience increases significantly to the point it would take a good amount of time just to get an extra level, and even higher level opponents feel like they aren't even giving enough experience. My level 37 Slowbro needs 10,935 EXP just to hit the next level. Compared to one of the real main Pokémon games, where any monster at that same level needs only 4,219 EXP (or more or less, depending on the monster's growth rate) for that next level, that's over twice the needed amount for the next level. The experience growth is vastly different compared to the official games. You can imagine that raising mons in this port, will become even more of a project because of how much higher the requirements rise after each level. This is one of the gripes with this port that I have.

---

Finally managed to get a desired sixth Pokémon into my current party, but when one of them got a status condition, I decided to switch out with another, then I came across this bug, the levels displayed that would be showing a status, are messed up. This appears to happen when you have the player has a full party.

Also, came across another bunch of trainers that have Pokémon that make text garbles, both big and small when sent out, while I was out clearing trainers out in areas I haven't been to yet. It would appear these certain Pokémon are causing the garbles from what I can see, as shown with some screens here.

I came across this while battling a Rocket, and also thought this would be worth bringing to your attention in case of any possible relation. The move that was being used by the opponent that unveiled this oddity.

Also worthy of note : As I was traversing the Pokémon Tower, the last two top floors of it had different music not fitting to it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 01:39:23 am by Aerezoloh »