News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database  (Read 10103 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« on: December 04, 2012, 03:52:23 pm »
Update By: RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by ROMhacking.net's RHDNBot.

The following Hacks have been submitted and approved to the database (in submitted order oldest to newest):

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/)

MathUser2929

• View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: New Hacks Added to the Database
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 04:00:27 pm »
Those are some good hacks. All but one are my submissions.

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 04:55:14 pm »
You know predictable Plint Michigan. Looking through the list of games, what do you think I would look for?

"*Sigh* More Sonic hacks replacing Sonic with another character. It's still the same game. Who cares? Oh? The one with Robotnik has new gameplay? Cool, but not for me. Sonic 2 XL? Hmmm, sounds interesting. ...AN INFLATION HACK!?! EWWW!!! What else do we have here. ...Rockman Claw!? Let's see, new graphics, new enemy mechanics, NEW MUSIC!?! Downloading!!!"

After playing Rockman Claw for a bit, it's pretty good. The gameplay is new but still pretty reasonable. I noticed that Elecman is actually easier in this hack than he was in the original game. His lightning only shoots up and forward instead of up/forward/down, and it's more balanced in power. I can see that this hack is trying to be new without trying to be ridiculously hard.

The music seems to be from other NES games, but alot of it sounds more like theme songs than level music. The only one besides the Ninja Gaiden Game Over theme that I could pick out was Bomb Man's theme from RoboWarrior/Blaster Master Boy.

Malias

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 07:10:59 pm »
"*Sigh* More Sonic hacks replacing Sonic with another character. It's still the same game. Who cares?

To be fair, the sonic character hacks aren't just simple sprite swaps.  They actually do modify the gameplay to match the character.
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 08:37:33 pm »
To be fair, the sonic character hacks aren't just simple sprite swaps.  They actually do modify the gameplay to match the character.

True, but the levels are still all the same.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 08:58:12 pm »
Some people like playing the original version with enhancements. Like the Knuckles in Sonic 2 game you get when locking Sonic & Knuckles onto Sonic 2.

Some people want a whole new game so if that's what you want then the character hacks aren't for you.

Blasteroid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 12:44:49 am »
i'm confused as to which roms i need. the readme files have no useful patching information. can someone please help and provide a bit more information?

Sally Acorn in Sonic the Hedgehog (Improvement)(Sonic the Hedgehog)(GEN)
Mighty the Armadillo in Sonic the Hedgehog (Improvement)(Sonic the Hedgehog)(GEN)
^^ needs sonic in bin format, but what is the filename and crc?

Shadow the Hedgehog in Sonic the Hedgehog (Improvement)(Sonic the Hedgehog)(GEN)
^^ needs sonic 1.0 in bin format, what is the filename and crc?

Vector the Crocodile in Sonic the Hedgehog (Improvement)(Sonic the Hedgehog)(GEN)
^^ release page says "The hack is based on a ROM in BIN format". which rom?

Metal Sonic in Sonic the Hedgehog (Improvement)(Sonic the Hedgehog)(GEN)
^^ release page doesn't state what rom is needed. same with readme.

Doctor Robotnik’s Creature Capture (Complete)(Sonic the Hedgehog)(GEN)
^^ release page doesn't state what rom, is this a sonic 1 hack? what filename and crc?

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 XL (Spoof)(Sonic the Hedgehog 2)(GEN)
^^ again, does not mention what rom is required for patching

i hope i'm not out of line by stating how rather confusing and useless the included readme files are. 1-2 sentences about what rom is required and its crc should be a rule for hack releases.

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 01:10:03 am »
This SHA1 worked perfectly:
6ddb7de1e17e7f6cdb88927bd906352030daa194 *Sonic The Hedgehog.bin
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 01:40:07 am »
The Creature capture page states very well what game the hack is based off of. Most hackers use verified good dumps for their hacks so use that ROM. The one with a ! in the file name.

jka12002

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 01:52:57 am »
Im still waiting for the day someone creates one where the first 4 Sonic games are combined into one. (1 2 3 and K)

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 08:37:34 am »
If anyone verifies what ROMs the hacks are for (if the entry doesn't contain that information), please by all means add it to the description so this same conversation isn't repeated the next time somebody tries them out.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 09:26:02 am »
They are for the ROM's with [!] in the title. There is only one of those per game per version as that [!] means they are verified good dumps. Why would a hacker use a bad dump to make their hack? It should be common sense which ROM to use.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 02:26:50 pm by MathUser2929 »

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 01:38:19 pm »
Honestly, I didn't know what [!] meant until now. I always assumed it was something bad, to be honest.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 02:54:37 pm »
Case in point.

In addition to that, there are different formats. There are both bin and smd format ROMs on Genesis. Furthermore, what's known as a 'good' dump sometimes changes. Dumps are not always perfect or found to be in error later. So, people may not know what [!] means, they may not know what a verified good dump is. They may have no idea what type of ROM they have. etc. It's definitely not common sense for everybody out there.

What's better than common sense is specifically stating what ROM the patch is intended for. :)

When it's not stated, people are forever having trouble and/or asking about patching said hack.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 03:13:02 pm »
I'm sure in the early days of dumping the verified good dumps changed but not so much at this point and time. Especially on the widely distributed games. I imagine pirate carts which are newly dumped might need a few dumps before there is a verified good dump. But at this point I'm sure the Sonic dumps are good. So just stick with the ROMs with [!] in the title if you want to use the patch submissions.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:25:36 pm by MathUser2929 »

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 03:39:47 pm »
You heard it here first folks. There's absolutely no reason to document what ROM a patch was intended for. :'(

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 03:57:27 pm »
If it really bothers you still then add a crc field to the patch submission forms and reject submissions that leave it blank. Also go back and find the CRC for all 62 Genesis hacks that have been submitted so far so all pages will be uniform. Or find a way to contact the original authors and have them do it for you. Don't forget the translations however many there are. Don't impose CRC requirements on one person.

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 01:30:26 pm »
I played the All New Punch-out a bit. The sprites are pretty good in some areas, but kind of bad in others. I notice Heike Kagero has missing pixels on him during the fight. Now, I think I know the reason for this is because of pallet constraints. The creature did not have enough colors to work with, so they made some of his pixels invisible as sort of a trick. The idea is that the mat is pink, as are what his missing pixels supposed to be, so basically it uses the mat to color the missing pixels instead of adding a second pallet. ...Which is fine when Heike overlaps the mat, but it looks weird when he's not.

jka12002

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 05:42:17 pm »
Its not the same without Gabby Jay's famous "Yay!"  :laugh:

Plint Michigan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 05:57:29 pm »
Its not the same without Gabby Jay's famous "Yay!"  :laugh:

I know. I say that every time I fight him.