News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys Speaks English!  (Read 11882 times)

RHDNBot

Translations: Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys Speaks English!
« on: October 04, 2012, 02:34:07 pm »

Update By: Burnt Lasagna

Finally, after many failed attempts, with three different directors, and 8 years of waiting; the Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys English dub patch is now ready for your TurboGrafx-CD!

This patch only changes the Japanese voices of the original game into English. The text will remain the same.

It is recommended that you use this patch along side Nightwolve’s in game text translation, in order to get the most out of the game.

Please visit the related URL or the RHDN project page for more information.

Have fun!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.pcenginefx.com/forums/index.php?topic=13136.0)

travel27

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys Speaks English!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 08:17:28 pm »
Saw Ys and hope it would be Ys 5, did a double take and...I guess this will do...Alas, off I go to finish the gem that is Energy Breaker!

Special T

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 09:24:10 am »
Thanks for putting this together!

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 03:05:05 pm »
Man this was a major royal pain to get patched up correctly, I'll just leave it at that.  However the result is golden.  The voice acting is right-on-par with other TGCD voice acted games I've heard.  I mean that in a nostalgic-good-way.  If that was the goal, it turned out beautifully.  Either way, it's really sweet to have Ys IV for TGCD actually fully in English both textually and audibly now.   :thumbsup:  Kudos to all involved.

Now we just need Ys V and the entire mainline series will finally be in English.  (That's assuming we officially get Foliage Ocean in Celceta of course.)

Validus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 02:52:00 am »
AMAZING! thank u brotha man

too bad you couldnt get Nightwolves permission to merge the patches. Is there a youtube video to demo the actors voices>? (like it really matters, anything in english beats japanese, unless you play Chaos Wars).

Again THANK YOU! This is a blessing, the game is now finally 100% translated after so many years. Im glad I never finished it, I can now truly enjoy it to the max.

Can you provide a youtube link of an english cutscene plz?

danke

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 06:20:26 am »
There's a link on the project page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQxusqqY5Kw

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 09:04:20 am »
too bad you couldnt get Nightwolves permission to merge the patches.
I talked with him about it, but he wanted to wait till he had the time to make his own Unified-O-Mega patcher, that sits in it's own executable. This patcher would also include an updated text patch that has spelling/grammar mistakes corrected, such as Romn to Romun. Sadly that is a release for another day.

For now you will have to put up with two patches and my sloppy Joe batch file.
However the result is golden.  The voice acting is right-on-par with other TGCD voice acted games I've heard.  I mean that in a nostalgic-good-way.  If that was the goal, it turned out beautifully.  Either way, it's really sweet to have Ys IV for TGCD actually fully in English both textually and audibly now.   :thumbsup:  Kudos to all involved.
Thanks! Someone said a similar comment on the trailer for the dub, here is what I responded with.
Thanks, that's what I was shooting for!

I felt Ys IV needed a more relaxed, 90’s, jubilant approach with its voices, such as the old Working Designs dubs. I didn’t want it to sound to “serious” nor have the actors worry over sounding over “authentic”. Instead, focus on making something that everyone can enjoy working on. Doing this not only makes the dub more pleasant to work with but I also believe it can mirror that same enjoyment onto the final product as well.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:11:15 am by Burnt Lasagna »

fireball

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 05:54:08 pm »
Yeah, why not.  :thumbsup: Though I actually prefer subs cause I'm not a native english speaker to begin with I think this is great work.

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 12:00:17 pm »
Though I actually prefer subs cause I'm not a native english speaker
Since this a TurboGrafx-CD game, adding in subtitles would have been incredibly difficult, if not impossible.
Dubbing the Japanese ADPCM was the only practical way to get the cut-scenes in English.

I prefer a good dub (sometimes even bad ones) over subtitles anyways.

Real_Character

• Restricted Access
  • A 16-bit character in a 2-bit world.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2012, 06:01:26 pm »
All I have to say is  :woot!:   The dubbing sounds about as good as one of those working designs games.

Burnt Lasagna

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 09:39:18 am »
Yeah, but that's pretty much all it needed to be ;)

I thought Ys IV was a perfect game for such a project, not because it has a stellar script or anything, but because it's story and overall feel is very relaxed and a tad cheesy.
When you look at it that way, I believe amateur voice talent fits this game like a glove and gives it a certain level of... sincerity.

I also believe Working Designs had this same charm, and it even worked sometime in their favor :D