News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Memory map software  (Read 2050 times)

henke37

• View Profile
Memory map software
« on: October 31, 2012, 06:57:39 pm »
Do any of you guys happen to have a good program for working with memory maps?

I am looking for something that both allows you to review the hardware memory map as well document as how specific software (like games) use the memory.

Preferably something advanced enough to understand banked memory, mirrors and other fun things found in real consoles.

InfamousKnight

• View Profile
Re: Memory map software
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 11:17:56 am »
As close as this comes you would use a hex editor. Making a program that figures out what you care about is really hard. Its probably impossible.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 11:55:50 am »
I have seen people bash IDA into something quite nice here although it is nowhere close to what you describe. Emulators often have something half nice here (a very basic variation would probably be GBA and DS emulators where they will allow you to know what mode you are running in at a given point in time and going further some of the stack/"register"/flag/matrix viewers). Hex editors with memory viewing options are quite nice as well and I saw a presentation a while back where some people did colour mapping to it and figured out where maps, fog of war and such like were to make cheats.

I suspect what you asked for will be held up by the halting problem or some minor variation upon that. Branch prediction and read ahead or Just In Time compilers/stepping though might get you somewhere, but it would be very involved and if calculated pointers, proper memory management and whatever else get involved for more than a handful of occasions then I would give up there and then.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2012, 12:10:23 pm »
No, I don't see the halting problem being relevant here. It is not supposed to guess things for me. Just let me enter the data and keep track of it so that it can show the data in easy to read charts and such.

FAST6191

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 12:31:44 pm »
Ah that might change a bit.

Right now I am trying to push my mind away from a disassembler that allows variable names in lieu of straight addresses and serious commenting (similar to the NEF format for the DS). I am not sure a general purpose program would be that easy to code still for similar reasons to there not really being an all purpose text insertion program (console/related console specific might be doable though). Are you ultimately aiming to making something I might mistake for a drive fragmentation/partition map at a distance (but with a nice text driven/tree driven option as well)? http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/613/ might be an example of a game series specific similar program to what I am thinking (it has something I might some day accuse of being heuristics) and some of the GBA pokemon tools do similar things.

If I wanted such a program I would probably try my hand at a big boy database (probably nonrelational but could go either way), I certainly do not know of any program remotely like that right now though as far as being a general purpose tool goes.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 03:38:51 pm »
Yes, I am looking for something that supports one item being located in a region claimed by a larger item. I am looking for a tool that can work with data like this.