News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Momotarou strings  (Read 6985 times)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
Momotarou strings
« on: October 30, 2012, 02:32:23 am »
So, there's this town where everyone speaks in puns.

One shop sells a bunch of dummy items.
snark translated them as a bunch of dummy names.
(also ごーるど as "goals", to distinguish because we used Gold as the currency in this game (I think Ryo was the unit in Japanese text).
)
But clearly these are meant to be puns of Dragon Quest 1 and 2 items.
Any other opinions?

よくそう (やくそう)
どくましそう (どくけししそう)
せんすい (せいすい)
カメラのつばさ (キメラのつばさ) (the only one that can be directly translated as it's pun on non-Japanese words, Camera Wing)
うちのかぎ
ものおきのかぎ
2じのしずか (にじのしずか)

As to the keys, I see they are House and Storage Room but don't seem to directly parody the DQ1/2 keys: 銀の鍵、金の鍵、牢屋の鍵、水門の鍵.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
Re: Momotarou strings
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 05:25:25 am »
I guess the parody is that they are keys to kind of mundane locations (house, storage) as opposed to something with more grandeur. Also, I think the last one should be しずく(雫) in both instances.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 10:38:28 am »
Yeah, that last item should've been niji no shizuku (2-hour Drop and Rainbow Drop).

I was thinking about that "goals" part again...
Since the joke is that this store is offering items from a different game for sale but also that you can't buy them because you don't have the right currency...
since Gold is being used as our "real" currency in this game, my first though would be to price these items in Gil,
but then I thought maybe, taking a bit of a liberty, pricing these items in rupees might not be a bad idea. I know it's a real Asian currency rather than a real European currency (like DQ is supposed to be set), so it's not a perfect substitute, but it does fit of course in being, again, a real currency (like Momotarou is supposed to be in Japan) and being well-known from a different game that did exist when this game was released.

Reminds me of the first time I played FF7 and I got to the Gold Saucer.
"oh, it's 5 GP to use the save point. I don't know why there's a toll on this save point, but whatever. ... um, why's the game telling me I don't have enough, I got a few grand. Sits around awhile confused. Oh... THIS game uses Gil as the currency and GP must be something else. Whereas GP was the currency in previous localizations. :P "
And that's probably why I'd want to make the "wrong currency" thing more clear, I guess.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:43:56 am by KingMike »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 02:32:28 am »
Okay, what's the joke here?

So, I go to this place called Token Money Exchange (りょうがえのといちグループ). Effectively it's a vault to store money in case you die. You can deposit in groups of 1000. When you deposit 30k, it's suddenly a bargain bazaar?
「おきゃくはん おきゃくはん!!
 じつは このみせに とっておきの
 ほりだしものが ありまんねん!!」[WAIT]
And you can exchange 10k of your deposited funds for a Magic Wand, an MP recovery item.
That just doesn't make sense, it's so random (the maximum is 50k, but this offer is only made when the total deposited = 30 (thousands).
But it is what the Japanese game does, so it's not a patch problem.

The last couple graphics that are untranslated are this place, and a sauna (a sign says お風呂!, which I can guess means Cleansing! or some such. But maybe I should just leave it. Well, there's also man and woman signs, but being a Japanese setting, maybe better left alone. And they're also blue and pink respectively, which should give another hint to their meaning.)

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 04:37:44 am »
りょうがえの Money Exchange
といち "interest of 10% in 10 days" (comes from 十日に一割)
グループ Group

Judging from the person's Kansai-ben, it probably is hinting at some kind of behind-the-scenes/black market. The name also implies this, because by today's laws in Japan, an interest rate of 10% in 10 days is highly illegal; the "Group" suffix also implies that it's a whole organization, not just one person, so maybe it's referring to the Yakuza.

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 08:34:12 am »
Don't know if you needed this or not, but here's a translation for the dialogue in your post:

「おきゃくはん おきゃくはん!!
 じつは このみせに とっておきの
 ほりだしものが ありまんねん!!」[WAIT]

Mister! Mister!
Check it out! We got some
real choice goods here, see?
A real steal!

HTH
Sign THIS!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 12:57:40 pm »
りょうがえの Money Exchange
といち "interest of 10% in 10 days" (comes from 十日に一割)
グループ Group

Judging from the person's Kansai-ben, it probably is hinting at some kind of behind-the-scenes/black market. The name also implies this, because by today's laws in Japan, an interest rate of 10% in 10 days is highly illegal; the "Group" suffix also implies that it's a whole organization, not just one person, so maybe it's referring to the Yakuza.

Interesting. That also explains why this place doesn't have a sign outside the door, unlike other services available throughout the game.
But I'm not sure how to put it in English.
"Very Interesting Money Traders" maybe a good pun?

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 07:19:47 pm »
Playing off an alternate meaning of といち…

Top Rate Loans :P

(Surprisingly, a phrase with only 4 hits on Google. I don’t think I’m being particularly clever, but I guess a lot of people would catch that one before they released it into the wild.)
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 04:31:10 am »
You can also render 十一 as "loan shark".

HTH
Sign THIS!

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 12:35:59 pm »
I thought of that, but this kind of is the reverse situation. You'd be loaning THEM money PLUS paying the interest.
(as in, what loan shark pays their customer interest? :D )

I don't suppose anyone would be interested in translating the story that I hope I transcribed correctly from the manual (from a 600dpi scan of my own copy)?
Looks like kind of a lot of information there.
(the manual is a written as a single-sheet newspaper. I think it says more on the reverse side at the end, but the reverse side looks to be the actual gameplay information, whereas this section covers most of the front side.)
If it actually does continue... I guess I'd need to transcribe the rest (which I was hoping I could just pick up enough of it to get by).)
I know the first paragraph is the usual "thank you for buying our game" sort of message.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 01:40:28 pm by KingMike »