News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: A problem with using Lunar Magic...  (Read 1774 times)

NIntendo

• View Profile
A problem with using Lunar Magic...
« on: October 24, 2012, 05:32:03 pm »
Hello, Ya'll I'm having this problem with Lunar Magic, which I run in WINE (Windows on Linux basically) and I'm not sure if it's a mis-configuration in WINE or what but when I try to open Super Mario World it doesn't show the level window properly.

Instead the window display for the level is bunched up in the left hand corner of the main window which I think is due to configuring WINE to emulate an 800X600 desktop environment....

Even downloaded the program again doesn't solve this and it works just fine on my other desktop computer (Ubuntu box)

Has anyone else had this problem when running Lunar Magic in WINE ? I've even tried uninstalling and reinstalling WINE which doesn't seem to work. So either it's the way I configured the desktop environment or something has gone terrible wrong with my WINE program... What do you think ?

Karatorian

• "Gotta get get ... 6502"
    • View Profile
    • Studio Karatorian
Re: A problem with using Lunar Magic...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 04:54:54 pm »
I've had problems running Lunar Magic in Wine that sound like the same one. I don't remember versions and stuff though and I never did get it to work. Since you've got it working on your other computer, there's hope. (And if you do, please post the fix here, I'm curious.) I suggest you compare the working setup with the non-working one. Are they running the same version of Wine? 'dpkg -l wine' should tell you what version of Wine you have installed on any deb based system (which Ubuntu is).

Then I suggest backing up your '.wine' directory on the non-working box and copying the '.wine' directory from the working version. If that fixes it, you'll know it's a config problem. If not, it's something else. Is there any particular reason you're using 800 by 600? That's kinda on the low end these days. Reinstalling generally won't fix configuration problems, because unless you use the '--purge' option when removing packages, the config files are kept (in case you reinstall). Even with '--purge', user configs (like your '.wine' directory) aren't removed as the package system generally leaves user directories alone (with good reason).

Do you have Windows installed on either box? I ask because Wine can use native Windows DLLs and other components if they're available. Configuration is a little complicated, and which components (Wine vs Windows) work better for a given situation is pretty variable. This variable is often the culprit when one Wine installation seems to work fine and and another doesn't.

Also, check out wine-tricks and see if anyone's got suggested tricks for Lunar Magic. Often installing the right bits and pieces to get something working can be complicated an wine-tricks automates that. If some DLL or something is missing on the new install, but somehow (perhaps from another program) got installed on the old one, that could make the difference.

Wishing you the best of luck, 'cause I'd like to get Lunar Magic working on my setup too. Also, in the future it may be helpful to mention Wine or Linux in the thread title. There are actually a fair number of us Linux users here, but unless they read the post, one has no way of knowing you've got a Linux specific question.
Current ProjectsFinal Fantasy EngineSMB Special for NESStudio Karatorian
@loop: lda (src),y — sta (dst),y — iny — bne @loop — inc src+1 — inc dst+1 — dex — bne @loop

FuSoYa

• View Profile
    • FuSoYa's Niche
Re: A problem with using Lunar Magic...
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 01:16:36 am »
It's a bug in older versions of Wine (MDI windows not maximized the way they should).  They fixed it about 4 years ago.