News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROM Translation [GB] Makaimura Gaiden The Demon Darkness  (Read 18041 times)

bailli

• View Profile
Re: ROM Translation [GB] Makaimura Gaiden The Demon Darkness
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 03:54:30 pm »
Short status update:
I imported successfully the current script including DTE encoding. Using DTE I only need roughly 500 byte more than the original script leaving almost 3 KiB for text formatting (meaning should not be a problem at all). My hack already supports lowercase letters but the script is still all uppercase. I plan to convert it later (probably more or less "last").

There are still no line breaks and prompts to continue the text output placed inside the text. I am still unsure whether I should place these by hand or adapt my insertion script.

No progress about resizing the tile map screens...

On a side note: @Hiei- Is there a reason you did leave "グオ" inside string 118 or did it just slip past you?

Also: Volunteers step forward for the last four text blocks :D
Dialogue 158 should be something along the line "Firebrand got the power of astral projection." (according to the youtube commentary)
The last three strings all mention the spectre's fingernail if I "compared" correctly ;)

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 04:45:24 pm »
I didn't do it myself because I'm not a english native speaker but if it can help you (you'll have to deal with bad grammar and typos, though). I tried to keep the same wording the game use for the new powers and such.

---
YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO CROSS OVER THAT RIVER WITH SUCH WEAK FINGERNAILS.

---
YOU DON'T SEEM TO HAVE THE PROOF (or "SYMBOL/EVIDENCE", "akashi") OF THE WARRIOR, THE SPECTRE FINGERNAIL...
HURRY UP AND GO SEE KING MOROCK.

---
FIREBRAND ("Red Arremer") OBTAINED THE HOMING FIRE.

---
NOW, FIREBRAND ("Red Arremer") CAN USE THE *insert word here*. (I searched a bit on google and it seems to be "幽体離脱". The definition given seems to fit with what you said. The english term given in the japanese definition is "Astral Body", so "Astral Projection" seems to be a good term for this.

---
YOU SEEM TO HAVE OBTAINED THE SPECTRE FINGERNAIL ("Shinigami no Tsume").
THEY (most probably, "the enemies") ARE TOUGH.
GOOD LUCK!

About n°118, yeah, it's something I forgot to delete.

About the lines break, if you can, I advice you to do a little program which will automatically insert "line-breaks" depending of the number of characters per line. Same for the "page break" (the wait until a button is pressed), with a rule to avoid cutting words in two.

A little example, let's say the limit is 16 characters per line.

SENTENCE CREATED (16 characters)

FOR TESTING PURP (16 characters)

OSE. (3 characters)

An easy rule to avoid the word "PURPOSE" here to be cut would be to check if there is a space before insert a line break. If yes, replacing the "space" with a "line break". If there is no space after the count of 16 characters, going back to the previous "space" with a "line-break", then count 16 characters again, etc... If there are less than 16 characters => do nothing.

And for the "page break", you just need to replace each two line-break with a page-break.

So it would output :

SENTENCE CREATED[line-break]
FOR TESTING[page-break]
PURPOSE

I'm not a programmer at all but I would do something like that if I was one and if I would require to do such a script formatting
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 03:36:21 am by Hiei- »

bailli

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2012, 10:26:51 am »
There seems to be one "bug" preventing a beta version with (I hope) all ingame text translated (I might do title screen/credits later).

Some of my generic "script?" commands inside the script are pointers. For example if you choose "yes" to exchange vials for malestroms, the "yes" branch starts with a command to check whether you have enough vials, but not the maximum malestroms and jumps to a different part in the textbank according to this...

Changes since last time: The Level/Tool/Magic box is larger, as is the "Magic" box. All items and screens should be translated. I wrote a small tool to insert line breaks in the game script...

EDIT: Anyone interested in helping beta test (the beta version should be ready next weekend at the latest) may send me an email.
Also: The original English NES translation is not the best English IMHO (even though I am not a native speaker). So I am thinking about improving the script while converting it to lower case.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 01:39:17 pm by bailli »

rockinsquat

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2012, 10:47:38 am »
Hello, I am definitely in for beta testing ! how should I give my personal mail to you ?
Cheers

Raph

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2012, 02:42:55 am »
I wanna beta test too! Do you want me to PM you?

rockinsquat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2012, 02:13:16 pm »
By the way, any news of the bugs you were referring to ?

Cheers

R

There seems to be one "bug" preventing a beta version with (I hope) all ingame text translated (I might do title screen/credits later).

Some of my generic "script?" commands inside the script are pointers. For example if you choose "yes" to exchange vials for malestroms, the "yes" branch starts with a command to check whether you have enough vials, but not the maximum malestroms and jumps to a different part in the textbank according to this...

Changes since last time: The Level/Tool/Magic box is larger, as is the "Magic" box. All items and screens should be translated. I wrote a small tool to insert line breaks in the game script...

EDIT: Anyone interested in helping beta test (the beta version should be ready next weekend at the latest) may send me an email.
Also: The original English NES translation is not the best English IMHO (even though I am not a native speaker). So I am thinking about improving the script while converting it to lower case.

bailli

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2012, 09:09:40 am »
Hi,

sorry for my long absence. RL and Christmas was a bit stressing.
I sent out two beta tests some time ago and played through the game myself. I did not encounter any critical bugs, only some minor cosmetic problems and some untranslated parts.
Mainly the "Legend of the Red Blaze" told be Lethe and the ending text (these are the two text blocks that could not be matched up by Hiei-). These texts are presented as a scrolling fullscreen text and need some (asm) work to get properly translated. Also the boss presentation after this text is not translated yet.

The cosmetic aspects are more or less all cleared up. The two mentioned text blocks and the boss presentation are the parts that are still missing. I plan to continue to work on this starting next year and the next round of beta testing will wait till then.

There is also a bug in the char overview screen that I do not understand (the tornado magic is not displayed when equipped), maybe later some more experienced debugger can have a look at this issue later...

EDIT:

Here is my final Japanese text dump: http://pastebin.com/His8NhLi
And this (hopefully) my final translated and adjusted text dump (this does not include the two fullscreen text mentioned above!): http://pastebin.com/HB3eFK3d
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:08:03 am by bailli »

rockinsquat

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2012, 05:24:46 am »
Oh... I'm definitely a newbie : I thought you will send a link to a rom, because, you will laugh : I have no idea of how to include this script in the original rom to override the japanese texts :-(

bailli

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2012, 06:19:47 am »
I did not link these text scripts for beta testing, just for reference. Somebody asked for it because of a potential more true to the Japanese original translation.

As I stated above, the next beta test will take place after the remaining untranslated parts are done. I will send you a PM at this time...

I  forget to mention the <x> tag in the translated script above is a line break too, but one that is forced by the game's text engine because the line is full...

rockinsquat

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2012, 04:51:32 pm »
Ok, thank you very much, and looking forward to test your rom !

Cheers, and happy NY to all !

R

bailli

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2013, 08:59:14 am »
So I am almost done. Missing is only the title screen and this ending screen:

May I ask for a translation, please. Is it something along the lines of "Thank you for playing" ?

EDIT: Okay in the NES Version it is "THANK YOU FOR PLAYING"

EDIT2: Just send out some PMs...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:01:47 pm by bailli »

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2013, 02:08:43 am »
さいごま = to the end
でくれて= choosing
どうも= very much
ありがと=thank you

I don't know what the hell that character is after あ
But your translation is fine.

Might be an alternate form of eran

In which case you could say thank you for playing to the end.

mz

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2013, 02:31:00 am »
さいごま = to the end
でくれて= choosing
[...]

I don't know what the hell that character is after あ
It says: さいごまで あそんでくれて.

"Thank you for playing" is OK, I think. A terrible and literal translation would be something like "Thank you for giving us the favor of having played to the end", I guess; although I'm most likely wrong. :D

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2013, 05:10:36 am »
That's what i thought but it wouldn't do to get too literal for a problem it looks like he already Solved by looking at the nes version. I thought it was a そ but it looked way off! Then i read でくれて and went with that.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:16:25 am by Pikachumanson »

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 06:14:24 pm »
This is just me, but I'd change "Capcom Presents" on the ending screen to "Presented by Capcom".

busterflex

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2013, 08:45:21 am »
I am definetly in for beta testing too.
Still new to this and have no idea about rom hacking, but I love to test games...Would be a pleasure to help out.
Thanks ;D

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2013, 01:28:53 pm »
Beta testing is already done, I believe. I think Bailli is now doing a final playthrough of the game before releasing his patch.

bailli

• View Profile

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2013, 04:22:05 am »
Great Job! I hope you do more hacks like this in the future and I'd be more than happy to help you out as well!

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2013, 11:53:56 am »
Awesome release!
As a sidenote, how hard is the japanese used in this title? I have the original card here and some basic knowledge of japanese. Would the game be enjoyable or is it recommended to play the patch if you are not advanced with the language?