News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Super Mario Bros. - The Very Lost Levels  (Read 3554 times)

tinotormed

• View Profile
Super Mario Bros. - The Very Lost Levels
« on: October 04, 2012, 09:45:22 pm »
Story

It was just an average beautiful day at the Mushroom Kingdom, until unusually, a Toad carries an unusual surprise, a huge jar of cookies. Mario and Luigi ate them all until... they fell asleep. Hours later, when something came into their senses, they woke up startlingly and they heard 'Help!' once again from the Princess! It turns out the Toad that came into them was actually a Koopaling! It's time for Mario and, this time with, Luigi to run through the fields and save the Princess once again through all 8 worlds (also known as episodes) of fun and adventure!

Features

- New levels including:
     - a sky level
     - a wall level
     - a stronghold level
     - more mushroom levels
     - a flood level
     - a pipe level
     - a dark level
     - a battleship level
     - and more!
- Enhanced scoring mechanisms in 2-2, 5-1 and 8-1
- Some rope climbing in some levels
- Adds Luigi to the game from The Lost Levels.
- Looping levels were removed in 4-4 and 7-4 in favor of 'choosing paths which do not have pipes', but with a bit of increased difficulty.

Things you need to know

Basically, all these new levels were created using Insectduel's SMB Utility Editor, and it's almost not that bad to use. Mario's outfit was also altered using the Mario 'Beauty Salon' to match his outfit to the later games. This doesn't work for Luigi unfortunately. The entire project was started back in July but due to a lot of school time, the project work and release date has to be moved. But now, as it was close to being finished, I decided to show off the real deal. (Basically, this hack is used to attract more Filipino players like me, hehehe) The only glitch was on the level number, but the world number was shown. Nevertheless, the hack still works without a problem.

Release Date
October 9, 2012

Preview of World 1:

Update:
10/5/2012 - Thanks to an editor called 'WindHex', I've (almost) been given an ability to alter Luigi and Mario's colors into what they look like in the later games.
10/8/2012 - Last minute editing of certain stuff like enemy and object emplacement to adjust the game's difficulty that's worth fitting for a Mario game.

Preview Trailer of some new levels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMnRobA-QI4
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 05:05:28 am by tinotormed »

Googie

• I'd like to solve the puzzle... Jiggers!
    • View Profile
    • My work in progress ROM Hacking site
Re: Super Mario Bros. - The Very Lost Levels
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 12:41:55 am »
Change the palettes around to give your hack some extra flavor.  :cookie:

jpx72

• View Profile
    • JPx72's Oldschool Consoles Collector
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 04:49:45 am »
Looking promising! Why the "very lost" levels? Is there some conneciton to the actual "lost" aka SMB2j levels?

tinotormed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 05:52:13 am »

Looking promising! Why the "very lost" levels? Is there some conneciton to the actual "lost" aka SMB2j levels?

This is only an "unofficial" sequel to SMB2J. Although it has elements from the FDS game, some of the levels still have a fitting 'repeat' levels from the original SMB1.