News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Energy Breaker English V1.00  (Read 40913 times)

Starscream

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Energy Breaker English V1.00
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2012, 09:57:22 am »
Instances where greater accuracy means very little:

- When user prefers another GUI
- When emulator lacks preferred option(s)
- Hand held emulation, where speed > accuracy

All true, and it's not only handhelds, any kind of low-spec system (by today's standards) you'd want to use for emulation for various reasons (e.g. Wii - 240p support without any hassle).

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2012, 10:14:30 am »
Hiei-, 0.90 seems to run on the same exact format as 0.91.

My bad, here : http://code.google.com/p/bsnes/downloads/detail?name=bsnes_v088-32bit.7z&can=1&q= (the cart-folder seems to have been implemented in 0.90, and not 0.91 as I thought).

(the link is v0.88, working with rom images, just need to rename them with a .sfc extension).

For accuracy, of course, if you try to do a SNES emu on DS for example (or GBA, like it was done long ago), you won't go for 100% accuracy, it's a sure fact, I was talking about computer only which have enough power to do it.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 10:21:56 am by Hiei- »

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #62 on: September 29, 2012, 10:30:15 am »

Btw, think someone should make a topic about the current state of emulators, and have a lot of these posts moved there?

But then people would feel motivated to post even more pointless crap about perceived emulator strengths and weaknesses. The topic is a more than a dead horse as far as I'm concerned.  It's like Woolsey translations or best Final Fantasy entry discussions. The same old opinions, regurgitated for the 500th time and defended as if someone's life depended on them. No thanks.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

nintendo_nerd85

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2012, 11:44:12 am »
Overall, I still prefer using Zsnes over other emulators as it has a nice looking and simple interface (also a small overall file size). That and the fact that despite what most people say, it can handle most snes games just fine. The graphics and music is also excellent in this emulator.

Ugh. The sound is the reason I avoid Zsnes; Square Enix games (and most other games) sound horrible (Chrono Trigger) in the sound effects department. Snes9x gets it right and is really easy to set up unlike Bsnes, I just don't understand the whole mentality behind peoples' refusal to move from Zsnes when better emulators are available. To this day it remains a mystery.  Every ROM hack I patched works fine in Snes9x, like Crimson Echoes, which the developers say "It only works on Zsnes", which we know to be BS.

But each to his own.... :-\
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 12:05:34 pm by nintendo_nerd85 »

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2012, 01:01:30 pm »
omfg i will diEEEEEEEEE if my emulator does not have teh blue snow!!1

(note to self: write blue snow shader for bsnes)
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Rhys

• View Profile
    • CN
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2012, 02:34:34 pm »
I love the blue snow :( blue fire was my favorite though :P

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2012, 03:38:40 pm »
Awesome!

It is a fun game so far!  Seems like items rest EVERYWHERE!!  Wow!

This is one of the major games now off my list (and many peoples lists)!  Hoping for Chaos seed now.  That and Ys 5, Lady Stalker, Rejoice: Aretha, Far east of eden, Record of Lodoss War and Traverse Starlight & Prairie. After those are translated, I will feel all the great snes rpgs are finally available to the west!  Those are the last few!

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2012, 07:33:08 pm »
I mainly use an old version of bsnes so I know most games will run fine. Sound being off grates on me like fucking crazy. FF3's sound effects are insanely inaccurate on snes9x versions earlier than 1.52 and any ZSNES. Same with SD3(Which I didn't even know until I began a playthrough on bsnes!) and probably loads others.

I don't play most of the add-on chip using games via emulation because I either already own the ones I want, own later revisions of them on other consoles(Hello, Kirby Super Star Ultra), or own the games they were ported from(DOOM).
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

nintendo_nerd85

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2012, 07:53:54 pm »
I mainly use an old version of bsnes so I know most games will run fine. Sound being off grates on me like fucking crazy. FF3's sound effects are insanely inaccurate on snes9x versions earlier than 1.52 and any ZSNES. Same with SD3(Which I didn't even know until I began a playthrough on bsnes!) and probably loads others.

I don't play most of the add-on chip using games via emulation because I either already own the ones I want, own later revisions of them on other consoles(Hello, Kirby Super Star Ultra), or own the games they were ported from(DOOM).

Finally, someone who has the same viewpoint as me on emulators!!!  ;D  I grew up with the Snes, I've played countless games on it, especially Final Fantasy 4, 6, CT, etc and know exactly how the games should sound.  Zsnes gets it wrong, really wrong (I'd be more than willing to post sound comparisons on a blog to show any skeptic). Snes9x 1.52 and Bsnes get it right, but I use Snes9x because it's not as demanding on the CPU.   Only one or two hacks I ever tried failed, everything else runs just fine.  I don't understand the whole "it only works on Zsnes ROFL" attitude so many ROM hackers stand by. As far as I'm concerned, if it's only meant to run on Zsnes, it has no place in the ROM hacking community.

September 29, 2012, 08:44:31 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Dunno why most people don't use BSNES and stick with old inaccurate emulators like ZSNES/Snes9x, it's pretty near 100% accuracy and there is even a "compatibility build" for those who don't have a really powerful computer.

Snes9x 1.53 is old and inaccurate?  SPC700/Nintendo S-SMP is near perfect in this video of Snes9x http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMycA_AAPrs

« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 08:44:31 pm by nintendo_nerd85 »

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2012, 10:38:46 pm »
How do you do it, JohnnyPeachfuzz?  How on earth are you able to play games without 10,000% accuracy?!!!!!

Every time I try, this is what happens:

"Wow! The music is off by .000001 milliseconds!"

Once I played Emerald Dragon on bsnes, I couldn't stand to listen to its amazing soundtrack butchered by ZSNES.

It might sound like a small thing to some, but I grew up hearing Chrono Trigger's ferocious monster screams and not the tiny whimpers they make on ZSNES. :)
(the same reason I can't stand the PS1 port's sound which is just as awful as fan emulators, except that since it's a commercial PS1 CD game it is therefore stuck in 1999... and those 2-second loading times before fights bug me more than they probably should. Though I do have to wonder why it takes longer to load the menu every time you open it than it does to load the maps every time you enter a dungeon, etc.
But I suppose that is an off-topic question.)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 10:43:56 pm by KingMike »
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

nintendo_nerd85

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2012, 10:50:56 pm »
Once I played Emerald Dragon on bsnes, I couldn't stand to listen to its amazing soundtrack butchered by ZSNES.

It might sound like a small thing to some, but I grew up hearing Chrono Trigger's ferocious monster screams and not the tiny whimpers they make on ZSNES. :)
(the same reason I can't stand the PS1 port's sound which is just as awful as fan emulators, except that since it's a commercial PS1 CD game it is therefore stuck in 1999... and those 2-second loading times before fights bug me more than they probably should. Though I do have to wonder why it takes longer to load the menu every time you open it than it does to load the maps every time you enter a dungeon, etc.
But I suppose that is an off-topic question.)

Yep, Zsnes is bad, really, really bad.  Version 2.0 has been in "development" since June 2006; even Snes9x wasn't on hiatus for that long between the 1.51 and 1.52 release.  It may not be as accurate as Bsnes, but it certainly is the emulator Zsnes never was; a perfect emulator for ROM hacks.

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2012, 01:00:51 am »
Can someone please explain to me how the magic/skills/etc. works??  I am about 3.15 hours into the game.  Am I being dense, or is it not exactly obvious?  I kind of play around with the four colors, and at one point stumbled upon the heal spell but lost the battle and don't remember how I triggered it...  Do spells correspond with the books I get (grimore)?  Do I need to move the 4 colors accordingly for each spell?   Not exactly sure...

sauyadav

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2012, 08:19:41 am »
Can someone please explain to me how the magic/skills/etc. works??  I am about 3.15 hours into the game.  Am I being dense, or is it not exactly obvious?  I kind of play around with the four colors, and at one point stumbled upon the heal spell but lost the battle and don't remember how I triggered it...  Do spells correspond with the books I get (grimore)?  Do I need to move the 4 colors accordingly for each spell?   Not exactly sure...

Quote from: from the gamefaq by "jon / SKChan"
USING SKILLS-
Characters can use learned skills by having enough Bal. All characters have
their unique sets of skills. Skills are learned by having enough power
distributed to activate it and reaching certain levels.

Example:
1. For Maira, distribute 4 power to positive blue element (Gain level to
increase pp and element limit).
2. In the next battle, use any skill a few times, a message will appear
randomly telling the character has learned new skill (in this case is LB, a
healing skill).

There are 21 skill books teaching the power distribution to activate certain
skills. There are skills that are not taught by books. Some skills require
character to attain certain levels as well, so if the energy distribution is
correct but the skill still cannot be learned, gain a few levels before
retrying.

The only exception is Star. He can only learn new skill by defeating certain
enemies.

check out the faq at gamefaqs, it also lists all the skills that can be learned and who can learn them.

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2012, 11:01:46 am »
Ohhhh, I understand now!!  I did not know you could push the triangle button to assign points to the "negative".  That is why I got to, like level 13-14 without having any spells.  Now I have been gaining them like crazy the past few levels (now at 18) because I have been assigning points, upon gaining levels, to the negative.  I wonder: Did I miss the part of the game that explained magic/skills, or just forget?

Any way, Now it makes sense!!

My only other question is:  Do I need to hold on to the Grimores upn getting them?  Or can I store them in the trash bin?  Once the characters learn the spell, do they have it for good regardless of what I do with the Grimores - can I sell them?

September 30, 2012, 04:31:08 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
I found a glitch.  When trying to use the reincarnation flower on Dorothy in the volcano crater, the game turns black and speeds up.  Finally, the graphics look all garbled.  I can send a save state file to anyone who might want to take a look.  The reincarnation flower is stored under the main character, stored in her item box.  I also took screen shots:

EDIT: IN FACT, IT SEEMS ANYWHERE I TRY TO USE IT, IT GLITCHES THE GAME.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 04:37:34 pm by travel27 »

Disnesquick

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2012, 05:27:08 am »
There seems to be an issue with using the Reincarnation when its in the item box. I've never had issues with using it outside of one though.

Some people report that this disappears when you've started a new game with 1.02 but I haven't tested that yet.

You don't need to hold onto Grimoires once they have been looked at and should sell them for some filthy lucre.

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2012, 03:22:52 pm »
Awesome!

It is a fun game so far!  Seems like items rest EVERYWHERE!!  Wow!

This is one of the major games now off my list (and many peoples lists)!  Hoping for Chaos seed now.  That and Ys 5, Lady Stalker, Rejoice: Aretha, Far east of eden, Record of Lodoss War and Traverse Starlight & Prairie. After those are translated, I will feel all the great snes rpgs are finally available to the west!  Those are the last few!

I really miss Bushi Seiryuuden, Little Master, Last Bible III, Monter Maker III, Shounen Ninja Sasuke and Gokinjo Boukentai in that list. Also a little bit Arabian Nights (with Bugfixes), Bakumatsu Korinden ONI and GOD. But only a little bit.
But yeah, the amount of awesome untranslated RPGs is shrinking :)

Coconuts 500

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2012, 09:55:40 am »
Big flaw here on Romhacking. The front page mentions the system of the games (unless they're in those assembled lists). Not even on the dedicated project page does it say what system this (or any) game is for. This is bad.

:)

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2012, 10:17:58 am »
The project page does say the system, right below the game name. It should probably be good writing standard to mention the system in the news itself, but this isn't something I'd reject a news submission over.
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

travel27

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 03, 2012, 08:48:06 pm »
This is such an amazing game!  Interesting thing is, I hated it the first 30 minutes and felt "meh" for a few hours but now I love it!  I don't have enough time to dive in it the past few days, but loooove it!  Seriously if any of the people who translated/hacked the game are ever in my city, beer on me!  That is how happy I am to have this gem in playable form!  Truly an epic, amazing masterpiece!

Trixar_za

• View Profile
    • The Trixarian Zone
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2012, 08:20:14 am »
Great Game :) ! I like the idea of the Energy Levels and balancing them to get stronger spells and attacks. Kind of reminds me of Treasure of the Rudras' Mantra system. I even learned spells without finding the Grimores for it.

Truely an awesome experience.

As for Emulators: I'm a self-confessed ZSNES user, but I do occasionally use snes9x. I never knew that ZSNES butchered the sound though. Maybe I should add bsnes to SliTaz Linux's repository...