News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Energy Breaker English V1.00  (Read 41361 times)

JohnnyPeachfuzz

• View Profile
Re: Translations: Energy Breaker English V1.00
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2012, 02:55:39 pm »
Is that the same as these glitches from version 1.01? Just checking before I go grab 1.02.

Using ZSnes 1.51, checked pre-patch for no header.
This is right after Lenardo runs off after the first dungeon:

Game freezes here

Game screen goes black afterwards and freezes again

ZSnes 1.51 savestate, just in case

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2012, 04:04:28 pm »
More than likely it's ZSNES fault. It's known to be horribly inaccurate, thus, a crappy emulator. Try snes9x 1.53 or higan.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2012, 04:42:15 pm »
ZSNES is like from the stone age. It seriously needs to die and probably never will. Bizhawk is probably the more sane option if you're going the multi-system emulator option. Incidentally, I was thinking all future SNES releases should come with a mandatory "Do not use ZSNES" message.

Oh, and while I'm at it, great job on the release guys.

Disnesquick

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2012, 04:58:07 pm »

AWESOME!!!!!!

but yeah, this is fixed in 1.02

JohnnyPeachfuzz

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2012, 09:39:41 pm »
I figured as much (both on the choice of emulator and the patch) but I thought I'd make sure, anyway. I'm lazy and only bother going for new programs if I HAVE to, as in this case.
(I really just wanted to post those gifs, because it cracked me up when it happened.)

skroops

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2012, 11:39:21 pm »
what about the bug where you die on the 3rd bat and have to restart from the beginning cuz you didn't save?

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2012, 01:07:07 am »
ZSNES is like from the stone age. It seriously needs to die and probably never will. Bizhawk is probably the more sane option if you're going the multi-system emulator option. Incidentally, I was thinking all future SNES releases should come with a mandatory "Do not use ZSNES" message.

Oh, and while I'm at it, great job on the release guys.

Dunno why most people don't use BSNES and stick with old inaccurate emulators like ZSNES/Snes9x, it's pretty near 100% accuracy and there is even a "compatibility build" for those who don't have a really powerful computer.

But I assume most people will switch with the release of the english translation of "Far East of Eden Zero".

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2012, 02:00:20 am »
Simply because ZSNES is so popular, people are going to stick around with it awhile.
Well, and probably also because there are a number of ROM hacks/translations that only work on it (including almost any Super Mario World hack with changed music).

It'll probably eventually become the Nesticle of SNES emulators.
Though it was easier to drop Nesticle as that was made in a day when not too many people did ASM hacks or such that would break compatibility (just text/graphics hacks). The only real notable thing is that a ton of SMB1 hacks were based on a certain pirate ROM that was very widespread in those days (distinguishable because it was missing the title logo). Nesticle's RAM initialization just happened to make it work, but most other emulators would just start the player on a glitched level.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2012, 08:31:03 am »
How bad is snes9x these days?

The other thing about BSNES, or Higan, is that it essentially becomes it's own thing, with it's own rom format. I think a lot of people find that inconvenient, no matter how accurate the emulator is.

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2012, 09:43:42 am »
SNES9x is not doing too badly these days. Quite some time ago they added blargg's sound engine, blocked VRAM writes outside of vblank (If I recall, it's an option), and made some other accuracy improvements. Unfortunately, the new changes caused quite a big of regression bugs. In fact, I think they broke all of my translations at one time or another in the past few versions. Reportedly Wozz is still broken in 1.53. Many people don't know about the new versions because they don't update their website, but but 1.53 came out Sept. 29th 2011, a year ago tomorrow. Much newer than decrepit ZSNES from 2006.

BSNES/Higan/Buddhist holiday/Whatever is open source. One could fork it and continue to allow loading of single ROMs.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:31:25 pm by Nightcrawler »
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2012, 11:58:58 am »
Dunno why most people don't use BSNES and stick with old inaccurate emulators like ZSNES/Snes9x, it's pretty near 100% accuracy and there is even a "compatibility build" for those who don't have a really powerful computer.
Technically BSNES is not accurate, at least according to it's author. It's just it's much more accurate than ZSNES and SNES9x, and accuracy of emulation just happens to be much less critical in SNES games than in NES games. In summary, the most powerful/complex a system is, the lesser the software will require on dirty hardware tricks to do their stuff, and the lesser emulation accuracy will be required.

It'll probably eventually become the Nesticle of SNES emulators.
ZSNES is and has always been the Nesticle of SNES emulators. Except it has no tile viewer...

sauyadav

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2012, 01:01:10 pm »
I don't uses bsnes/higan if I don't have to. Almost every game works with SnesGT or otherwise on Snes9x. Energy Breaker has not crashed a single time on SnesGT and has only given one bug.

JohnnyPeachfuzz

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2012, 06:17:31 pm »

But I assume most people will switch with the release of the english translation of "Far East of Eden Zero".
BSNES runs like someone with their tendons sliced on my computer, and since I've already gone and fixed my problem, I'm perfectly happy wallowing in the crapulence of my inaccurate emulators (because I don't care about accuracy as long as the game runs).

Short answer: apathy.

LumInvader

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2012, 01:18:34 am »
BSNES runs like someone with their tendons sliced on my computer, and since I've already gone and fixed my problem, I'm perfectly happy wallowing in the crapulence of my inaccurate emulators (because I don't care about accuracy as long as the game runs).

How do you do it, JohnnyPeachfuzz?  How on earth are you able to play games without 10,000% accuracy?!!!!!

Every time I try, this is what happens:

"Wow! The music is off by .000001 milliseconds!"
"Egads! I can't believe the yellow block is 1 shade darker than it shows on the box!"
"NOOOO! The explosion fx isn't nearly as scrunchy as I remembered it back in my mother's womb!"

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2012, 03:15:28 am »
Technically BSNES is not accurate, at least according to it's author. It's just it's much more accurate than ZSNES and SNES9x, and accuracy of emulation just happens to be much less critical in SNES games than in NES games. In summary, the most powerful/complex a system is, the lesser the software will require on dirty hardware tricks to do their stuff, and the lesser emulation accuracy will be required.
ZSNES is and has always been the Nesticle of SNES emulators. Except it has no tile viewer...

Enough to have every game working fine (which is not the case of Zsnes/Snes9x), and that what is called accuracy in my point.

Just try to play Der Langrisser on Zsnes (except if they finally fixed it) for example then you will probably think accuracy is as much important on SNES than on NES.

From now, at least, everything that I tried on Bsnes also work on the real hardware (a SNES) which isn't the case for Zsnes/Snes9X (which sometimes create bugs that aren't produced on a real SNES).

About the need of accuracy on SNES : http://byuu.org/bsnes/accuracy (and there are probably a lot of games not listed, like Megaman X2 for example).

Are you sure you tried the good build ? (I mean, "accuracy build" really need a powerful computer, but that's not the case of the compatibility build). Or else, you really have a really old computer ?

About the accuracy thing, you'll probably change your mind when you'll play a game for 20-30 hours and finally notice the game is broken.

FallenAngel : You can still take an old build. I'm with you about that, I don't really care about cart-folder or multi-emulator system so I just stick with the last stand-alone version.

Anyway, I'm not here to judge people,  they can use what they want, I just find that rather weird. It's like having a Core2Duo (or better) available at home but still want to use a Pentium II just because it's still working fine for many tasks.  :huh:

About romhacks which only works on ZSNES or such thing, that why I wouldn't never trust an emulator (not for the final beta-test, at least) and still test the romhack on a real SNES to be sure.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 03:33:40 am by Hiei- »

Recca

• Indignation!
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic-Designs
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2012, 03:35:34 am »
Overall, I still prefer using Zsnes over other emulators as it has a nice looking and simple interface (also a small overall file size). That and the fact that despite what most people say, it can handle most snes games just fine. The graphics and music is also excellent in this emulator. I do also sometimes use Snes9x for a few games that do indeed not work well with Zsnes such as Tactics Ogre. But I don't know about the other snes emulators such as Bsnes, they just seem too much of a pain to use... And Zsnes also works well with other computer models as well which is an added bonus. For this same reason, I also prefer using ips patches over ups ones. It's just a lot easier and more convenient to use.

For one thing, you can easily use the soft patching method with ips patches if you want to save time or to leave the original rom unaltered. By hey, if it were up to me, I'd want to keep most things as they were back in the 90s, including the Windows 98. Man, I loved that computer...! Ah, and one more thing; Der Langrisser works fine on Zsnes so long as you don't disable the sound/music. But who would anyways? If you don't want any sound for whatever reason, you can just mute the speakers.

Anyways, moving along... Nice work on the Energy Breaker translation! It's top notch and very well written! :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 03:44:03 am by Recca »
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2012, 03:53:52 am »
They probably finally fixed it then? (the bug was reported in 1998 and was still here not so long ago). The bug wasn't producing by muting the sound from what Byuu says, but because of bad emulation of the DSP which would lock the game every 2/3 hours).

A few days ago, I got a bug report about my retranslation of Secret of Mana and it was saying "text unreadable in menus". Finally, I found the tester was using an old version of ZSNES which wouldn't render the high-resolution (menus) texts correctly which make me freaks.

But it was just a question anyway, everyone have the right to do what they want (but I don't find Bsnes hard to use, if you stick to v0.90. Run the emulator, run the rom and here you go).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 08:54:17 am by Hiei- »

LumInvader

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2012, 04:05:27 am »
Instances where greater accuracy means very little:

- When user prefers another GUI
- When emulator lacks preferred option(s)
- Hand held emulation, where speed > accuracy

fireball

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2012, 06:20:04 am »
Awesome work guys and
This is especially true these days as our community's releases are outpacing any translations the professional companies put out for these platforms.
ZOMG this! There is a whole library of fantranslations available for NES and SNES, especially in the J-RPG sector, which almost triples the amount of "must play through" games on those systems for me. Those companies sure missed out my money back then....

FallenAngel2387

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2012, 09:54:11 am »
Fireball, that's a ticket to future burnout if I ever saw one. One thing I've learned over the years is you really have to look at the individual item, and not something as vague as a genre/series. Especially a genre as varied as RPG's.

Decided to go with the same setup as Sauyadav. Though I did find one game GT wouldn't even load, that I need a slightly outdated version of 9X to display correctly.

Hiei-, 0.90 seems to run on the same exact format as 0.91.

Btw, think someone should make a topic about the current state of emulators, and have a lot of these posts moved there?