News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Translations: Dragonball Z: Killer Androids - Testers Wanted  (Read 9275 times)

RHDNBot

This is an automated message generated by Romhacking.net's RHDNBot.

Update By: RedComet

That's right, another Dragonball Z game is nearing completion (as if I worked on anything else), and, barring a minor bug with the Save menu, everything's ready to enter play testing, and for that I'd like a couple of people to help me out.

This is probably a really short game (I'd wager ~10 hours, if that), so I shouldn't need more than 2 or 3 to really test it. Testing would consist of playing the game, reporting bugs, and general feedback on the patch. Please, proficient English speakers/writers only. This is important to me, so I'd appreciate only serious testers apply.

If you've any questions, please contact me at the email address on my site.

Relevant Link: (http://www.rpgclassics.com/subsites/twit/)

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Translations: Dragonball Z: Killer Androids - Testers Wanted
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 02:48:54 pm »
Um...a little word of caution for you.

Whatever the moron fansubbers might think, having Goku fire s-missiles really does not work in context.

Now, a good "dammit!", on the other hand...
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 02:57:49 pm »

Whatever the moron fansubbers might think, having Goku fire s-missiles really does not work in context.

THANK YOU
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 04:54:51 pm »
Great work there. Keep it up.  :)

If you are just in a hurry because you are going to explode with a stupid planet, "s-missiles" should work just fine in the context.
I am the lord, you all know my name, now. I got it all: cash, money, and fame.

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 05:53:20 pm »

But it tastes so good. I wonder if I can smuggle crack into the country with this? :-*

Seriously though, that's half the point of getting competent people to help test this. I found another small bug that'll probably set things back a day or two, but seeing as how I've only gotten one email so far, I don't think I have to worry about it.
Twilight Translations - More than just Dragonball Z. :P

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 09:48:47 pm »
I mean, it would work in context, if the character were just about anybody other than Goku. Or any Dragonball character, for that matter.

Dragonball is a shonen action manga...yeah, they're known for uberviolence and often a fair bit of fanservice, but it just seems wrong somehow to have the characters throwing the higher levels of profanity around.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 10:43:07 pm »
Dragonball is a shonen action manga...yeah, they're known for uberviolence and often a fair bit of fanservice, but it just seems wrong somehow to have the characters throwing the higher levels of profanity around.
Oh, please, stop with this nonsense. Since when the word SHIT is so bad? ::) Yeah, profanity.  :'(

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 10:49:23 pm »
I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just saying it doesn't work in DBZ. It'd work elsewhere (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Fist of the North Star, etc.), but it just doesn't seem like something Goku would say.

Gemini

• 時を越えよう、そして彼女の元に戻ろう
    • View Profile
    • Apple of Eden
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 10:55:16 pm »
I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just saying it doesn't work in DBZ. It'd work elsewhere (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Fist of the North Star, etc.), but it just doesn't seem like something Goku would say.
Gokou could even say worse things, after all he has been in contact with people like Muten, Crilin and other not-so-polite-guys, infact he does in DBZ manga, though it doesn't happen very often.

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 11:05:20 pm »
F Bombs away. ;D

mrfreeze

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 11:33:19 pm »
Wait. When exactly does he drop anything alone the lines of an s or f bomb in the DBZ manga?  I own all but the last 2 and don't remember reading that. 

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 11:39:30 pm »
I've no idea about any F bombs. I'm just trying to stir shit up a little. :P

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 11:46:22 pm »
Gokou could even say worse things, after all he has been in contact with people like Muten, Crilin and other not-so-polite-guys, infact he does in DBZ manga, though it doesn't happen very often.

'Cept there is no "DBZ manga". I mean, yes, volumes 17-42 were released in the U.S. (and I assume elsewhere) as "Dragonball Z", but that's only because the anime recieved worldwide popularity before the original manga. In Japan, the entire canon is "Dragonball" from beginning to end.

Ah, but I'm just arguing semantics. Do whatever the hell you like; I'm only making artistic suggestions. I'm only saying "it doesn't feel right somehow".

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 03:14:40 am »
Hello there! (I was the translator for this game.) I wanted to point out that the original line in the game includes the swears "kuso" and "chikusho." Yes, Goku uses profanity even in Japanese!

Originally, I had the same opinion as you, Ryusui. I translated "kuso" as "crap," thinking (like you) that Goku was not really the profane type and that strong profanity wasn't appropriate in the game.

Goku is, after all, quite innocent.

After I translate, I let the hackers change things as they see fit... And strengthening the profanity in this instance was one of those things they changed... But when I see the line as they have put it here, I think that it's actually much better than just putting the watered down "crap."

Now shonen manga may be targeted at very young boys in Japan, but a translated NES rom is aimed at a much different audience.

Does this single word destroy the fact that Goku is innocent? I believe that it does not. Goku is not saying it brashly and to sound rebellious. He doesn't even understand that it's supposed to be a "bad word." It's just something that he's heard being said when things get rough. This innocence is similar to the very first manga, when Goku pulls the underwear off of Bulma because she seems to be missing something down there.

Not exactly 9-year-old friendly material in America, though.

This is aimed at a different audience, and I think that they will enjoy the game just the same...

Otherwise...

"Gosh! Move it! I said move! Golly!" (Just kidding.) :)

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 04:21:28 am »
Kuso can mean anything from 'poopoo head' to 'motherfucking cocksucking asslicking shiteating childfucker'. I'm pretty sure there are better words to be using than 'shit' and 'crap'.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2006, 04:23:44 am »
I'm aware that he curses in Japanese. But as I like to say, cursing in Japanese is purely contextual. Digging up old Japanese tapes of the children's show "Maple Town Story", I encountered at least two instances of "kuso", one of them uttered by Patty Hope-Rabbit, an adorable little rabbit-girl usually dressed in bright pink and about as far removed from shonen manga herodom as it's possible to get. Granted, I'm pretty sure "chikusho" is most unambiguously outside Patty's verbal range, but a lot of "curse words" are actually fairly tame and should be translated depending on the context.

In this place, I think "dammit!" is probably the right word for the situation. It's not "watered-down", it fits the circumstances and does have more impact than "crap"...but like I said before, that's just my opinion.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 01:46:43 am »
'motherfucking cocksucking asslicking shiteating childfucker'.

I will memorize that and use it some day.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

RedComet

• View Profile
    • Twilight Translations
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 01:55:58 am »
At any rate, I had enough people turn out for testing that the project has officially entered the first round of testing.

Ryusui, I've made a note of the "s-missiles". Whether or not they're changed will probably be dependent on how everyone responds to it during testing.

Anywho, testing's on, baby! WOO! :D