News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: List of the 常用 kanji with onyomi/kunyomi/an example word or two?  (Read 4967 times)

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
I'm prepping for the JLPT this semester, so I wanna cram as much kanji in me as I can. As it is, I can already read about 1,000. So I'm not too far off from JLPT 1, if I push myself pretty hard.

So I'm looking for a list of the everyday-use (常用) kanji, with onyomi, kunyomi, and an example word for each kanji. I can't seem to find such a list. All the lists have readings or example words, but not both.

Anyone know of where I can find such a list, or am I going to have to make it myself?

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

filler

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • "WINNERS DON'T SELL REPROS"
    • View Profile
    • Filler's Translation Projects
Re: List of the 常用 kanji with onyomi/kunyomi/an example word or two?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 11:05:46 pm »
I've been using Renshuu.org to study kanji recently. I'm working through the Kanji Kentei stuff - kinda groups it by onyomi - but you can study the JLPT set. It breaks it into sets and has on/kun readings with sentences and quiz options.

DragonmasterX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 09:05:03 pm »
If it's for JLPT, I'm sure there's lists online. I used online lists myself for JLPT1.

As for everyday use kanji? I dunno, just read everything in Japanese. Stuff you regularly search the web for in English, stop reading the stuff in English and read in Japanese. Read various genres of novels in Japanese. Play your visual novels in Japanese. The kanji will seek in. It worked for me. But I put in the effort to LOOK UP EVERY SINGLE UNFAMILIAR WORD/PHRASE and I still do now.

I have never counted the kanji I know. It seems pointless to me to say I know #### kanji. You can always add in a new combination of the kanji you already know to make a new phrase. Like you can probably make a ton of 四字熟語 from the 1,000 kanji you know. You can put in a lot of effort to learn new 四字熟語(I had to learn a ton and know them inside out for Kanij Kentei. IIRC, they start showing up in 5kyuu), but that doesn't the increase the # of kanji you know. And imo, unless you can recall a word off the bat, use it correctly in a sentence, etc. you don't really KNOW that word.

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 04:29:48 am »
I used this book and its big brother to get myself to a level at which I can read most Japanese communications that come my way.  It took me about six months to get through both books (at a pace of an hour a day), and I filled up two and a half notebooks in the process. Pretty much the only kanji I have trouble with these days are the uncommon ones that many Japanese people have trouble with too. There's also an intro level book if you want to start from the beginning, so to speak.

The books are great because the kanji in each unit are (mostly) connected by context (adjectives, verbs, body parts, place names, etc.), which I found made the kanji easier to remember than just studying in on-yomi order or whatever. Plus -- importantly -- the books include a LOT of practice and recycling of kanji from previous units, so you have to use both newly-learned kanji and while also recalling "old" kanji at the same time, which really makes things stick in your head. Also, they're quite a bit cheaper than some of the other kanji books out there, so I don't think you can really go wrong with them.

HTH
Sign THIS!