logo
 drop

Main

Community

Submissions

Help

Author Topic: ROM Hacks: Rise of Lu Bu 2.0 (Destiny of an Emperor Mod)  (Read 3521 times)

RHDNBot

ROM Hacks: Rise of Lu Bu 2.0 (Destiny of an Emperor Mod)
« on: August 31, 2012, 01:59:49 pm »

Update By: sonic.penguin

In Ancient China, 200 A.D... A wolf among men struck fear into the hearts of his enemies and dominated the central plains until brought to his knees by an untimely death...

But history has changed, and the greatest warrior has a new destiny in Destiny of an Emperor Rise of Lu Bu 2.0!

Witness the great strides that have been made in the Destiny of an Emperor hacking community in this now classic mod by sonic.penguin!

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://lordyuanshu.com/forums/)

Nec5

• It was fun until humorlessness won out.
    • View Profile
Re: ROM Hacks: Rise of Lu Bu 2.0 (Destiny of an Emperor Mod)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 02:46:01 am »
Well, this looks like fun.  I've never tried the whole Destiny of an Emperor games/series.  The only glitch I've found has nothing to do with your mod but involves putting FCEUltra 2.1.5 in full screen mode.  The colors go completely goofy regardless of my setting.  But it does that for any game.  Not a biggie.  You can blow it up to almost full screen with no problems anyway.

When I get time, I'll tackle this one.  The dynasty warriors characters are fun and this mod looks pretty dern cool.  Thanks for posting it.

And, of course, you can't beat Lu Bu. ;D
When Reason Fails

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 05:19:16 pm »
Your FCEUltra does that too? I have an older version and the UXD fork, and both do that for me too... didn't used to :o

sonic.penguin

• Sonic Penguin
    • View Profile
    • Lordyuanshu.com
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 06:17:34 pm »
Actually, while it does run w/ other emulators, FCE 2.1.5 is about the only one, other than Tiger NES on Android, that handles the expanded rom code and graphics/sprites etc. I've found DOAE to be fun even playing it multiple times through as it's not an extremely long game and of course, Lu Bu is da' man, no problem  :thumbsup: 

I.S.T.

• IRC Staff
  • Ten years, still no avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 10:51:14 pm »
What is it about those two emulators that makes them so special? Is it an uncommon mapper arrangement that isn't handled very well in other emus?
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

MiDKnighT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 08:22:11 am »
What is it about those two emulators that makes them so special? Is it an uncommon mapper arrangement that isn't handled very well in other emus?

I'm the one that did the expansion for DOAE ROMs.  Maybe we're not doing something right when we expand but here's what we do:

1. Back up the ROM.

2. Open your hex editor and expand the ROM to 80010 bytes. (ie...add 0's to the end until the last byte is 80010).

3. Copy all the data that currently exists at $3C010-$40010... and paste it to $7C010-$80010 (this is the "master" code of the game, for lack of a better term. It must stay at the end of the ROM).

4. Change offset $00004 from $10 to $20 (to show that you've doubled the size).

Now you have a 512k ROM.

It seems only certain emulators (like FCE Ultra) read the extra ROM pages when using this method. 

sonic.penguin

• Sonic Penguin
    • View Profile
    • Lordyuanshu.com
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 09:42:26 am »
It is very likely that once Rise of Ieyasu gets completed and debugged and Flames of Wu gets some more attention, this mod will be getting an upgrade to 3.0 with all of the new improvements and improved balancing issues that I have made in tactics and leveling progression.  It just takes a very long time to balance once all those changes are made.