News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: 会えなくなるのはイヤだ  (Read 2158 times)

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
会えなくなるのはイヤだ
« on: August 30, 2012, 09:50:02 pm »
I'm having trouble explaining the intricacies of this phrase. I might not even be doing it right.

The way that I see it is this:

会えない (to be unable to see/meet with that person) -> 会えなくなる (to become unable to see/meet with that person).

So it would be something like... "I don't like it when I can't go see (that person)". Right?

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
Re: 会えなくなるのはイヤだ
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 10:03:31 pm »
It means something like, "It sucks that x won't be able to see y anymore." You might also phrase it as, "It's too bad that y won't be around anymore".

HTH
Sign THIS!

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 10:09:43 pm »
Can you explain the grammar a bit more for me? The difference seems very...subtle.

I mean, the way that I saw it was that の makes the verb a noun. Which makes it seem like a "when this happens, it sucks" situation.

Specifically, this is about a character from Blue Exorcist. Amaimon, a demon, who is the brother of a main character who runs the Exorcist school, is saying this. It makes me feel like he's going "I hate it when I have to be in Hell while big brother's up on Earth. I miss him". Like that kinda thing.

~DS
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:14:48 pm by DarknessSavior »
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

wattawait

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 06:55:28 pm »
I think you've got the gist of the meaning. A less clunky way to word it in English (depending on context, of course!) might be "I don't want you (him) to go!", depending on who is a part of the conversation and the context of their relationship.

Grammatically-speaking, I think you've got the idea as well. The -のは turns it into the topic of the sentence, if I remember my terminology correctly. It's been a long time since I've looked at a grammar textbook for any language...

Another simplified example:
充電する (to charge [say, a cell phone])
充電できる (to be able to charge)
充電できない (to be unable to charge)
充電できなくなる (to become unable to charge)
携帯を充電できなくなるのはイヤだ!→ I don't wanna not be able to charge my phone!

I suppose it's a fairly subtle difference when you look at a literal English translation of the grammar, but it's more about what makes a grammatically correct sentence in Japanese than conveying specific intricacies, at least from a layman's (read: my) point of view. :P Also something to be noted is that native speakers will commonly leave off the "は" in instances such as this.

HTH and best of luck!

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 09:13:34 am »
Basically, what wattawait said. I think I might have a doppleganger on this board. :)
Sign THIS!