News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Romancing Saga 3 Spanish translation [Released]  (Read 43068 times)

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
Re: Romancing Saga 3 Spanish translation [Released]
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2014, 05:06:41 am »
Yesterday, I relesead the final version patch with some dialogue fixes and the busines sidequest fully edited and translated into spanish.

If somebody is willing to translate the game into their own language, please tell.

Enjoy it!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 05:27:18 am by magno »

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2014, 03:27:38 pm »
Using this as a base for a complete English translation would be good.

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2014, 04:12:06 pm »
Using this as a base for a complete English translation would be good.

as i understand it the last person working on such a thing disappeared

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2014, 04:46:40 pm »
as i understand it the last person working on such a thing disappeared

Yes, you are right. If somebody in willing to translate the script from japanese, just tell me.

patuli

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2014, 01:29:33 am »
Two great games in a row, i'm going to be busy all month now, thanks magno.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2014, 02:43:51 am »
Yes, you are right. If somebody in willing to translate the script from japanese, just tell me.

Best I could do is translate the Spanish to English, but that wouldn't be ideal and my Japanese skills are meager.
Maybe this would be a good community project?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 05:37:22 am by Vanya »

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2014, 03:34:42 pm »
I wouldn't recommend a community project much like a wiki translation project. Best case scenario you end up with several translators of varying qualities of mastery of the source and target language and you need to someone to proof/check the translations and someone to edit it all together for consistency. It's not worth the trouble to "translate" the script that way.

Call me old-fashioned and/or elitist, but I think it's much better to find one good translator and optional editor to take care of the translation.

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2014, 03:12:53 am »
Yeah, I'm kinda with Pennywise on this one. Hope someone good turns up!

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2014, 05:41:13 am »
Yeah, I'm kinda with Pennywise on this one. Hope someone good turns up!

The japanese translator showed up 2 weeks ago claiming he had completed the scripts and that he needed the tool to insert them. I asked to send the scripts to me first so I could tune up the tool for english, and he never replied again. So I suppose it was a lie that the scripts were fully translated, or maybe he is not as reliable as one's could expect...

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2014, 09:18:08 am »
There are some projects where translation seems to be relatively community-based (http://www.verve-fanworks.com/SMF/). It would probably be slightly more difficult in this case as there already exists a playable english patch, so I don't know how many translators would be interested in this.

I'm not making any requests, but wouldn't it be simpler if the tools required for translation were released as well? At least if you won't hear from any translators in some time.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2014, 04:53:59 pm »
I would second that. Releasing the tools would be good if anyone wants to go the extra mile to have a 100% translation in English, but also for anyone that wants to do a translation to any other languages.

Now if we only had a similar situation for RS1 & RS2. :(

xander

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2014, 02:52:21 am »
Releasing the tools would make it easier for someone else to translate not just to English but any language as he said. This would make it available so anyone can use it either someone who wants to work on it or someone whos mildly interested. Instead of hand picking 1-2 translaters and then finding out they weren't interested after all. Its always good to have open options.
xander

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2014, 04:51:36 am »
Let's put it the other way round: if nobody is interested in translating the game, why there would be somebody interested after I release the tools?
Besides, the tools are not aimed to all kind of publics, since it is a "simple" MSDOS program that reads and inserts all scripts and ASM code into the game, but everything adapted to the spanish translation. For instance, the menu is complete re-drawn and there is very few VRAM free space to allocate all VWF text, so all address must be recalculate if longer words are used, or even optimized is shorter words are used. This must be done in a close collaboration with the script translator.

STARWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2014, 12:26:02 pm »
I can see three benefits for the tools being released:

1. The potential progress is less dependent on your attention/work.
2. There is more visibility for the possibility of doing a translation, assuming the tools were listed in RHDN for example. Otherwise it is mostly up to the visibility of this thread.
3. People may simply be afraid of contacting you, because people are sometimes like that.

That the tools are meant for your personal use/are not very polished/are difficult to use/do not do everything is understandable, and probably a big reason why these kinds of tools aren't often released.

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2014, 12:45:22 pm »
The big reason is that, if I should release the tools, I would have a ton of mails from people asking things such: I can't do XXX, how do I change YYY text?, why don't you program a GUI?... and so on, and frankly, I don't feel like to answer all those mails to people who is not really interested in the making a translation, not even in the game.
So I prefer puting my effort in helping people who is willing to complete a translation, whatever the language.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2014, 01:38:02 pm »
I can see three benefits for the tools being released:

1. The potential progress is less dependent on your attention/work.
2. There is more visibility for the possibility of doing a translation, assuming the tools were listed in RHDN for example. Otherwise it is mostly up to the visibility of this thread.
3. People may simply be afraid of contacting you, because people are sometimes like that.

That the tools are meant for your personal use/are not very polished/are difficult to use/do not do everything is understandable, and probably a big reason why these kinds of tools aren't often released.

I'll add :
4. It could be an interesting and enlignthning read for romhackers, to see how others work

And I see no real good reason against releasing the code (unless you want to make money with that, which doesn't seem to be the case)

The big reason is that, if I should release the tools, I would have a ton of mails from people asking things such: I can't do XXX, how do I change YYY text?, why don't you program a GUI?... and so on, and frankly, I don't feel like to answer all those mails to people who is not really interested in the making a translation, not even in the game.
So I prefer puting my effort in helping people who is willing to complete a translation, whatever the language.

Noone force you to answer those mails.

I have made some tools to hack Phantasy Star Generations 1 & 2. They are awfully coded (for many reasons), they are not commented, and I think a non-coder user won't be able to make them work. But I'll release them.

I help the persons who use them for the moment (there are 4 persons, a French, an American, a Brazilian and a Spanish - even if the latter never asked anything about it, I wonder where he is  ;) )

When the work will be done, I'll release the program, I'll let a thread here for bug reports, but I don't even promise I'll fix bugs. After all, the code is free.

But this is your code, you do what you want.

Licopi

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2014, 02:26:53 pm »
There is a fully english script to translate, or it's based on the "99% patch" released some years ago?

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2014, 04:28:54 pm »
There is a fully english script to translate, or it's based on the "99% patch" released some years ago?

Both; there is a full japanese script and the "99% patch" script which could be used as reference to complete and improve some parts on it.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2014, 08:58:53 pm »

I have to agree with tryphon. There is nothing that says you have to provide support.
Just  include a read me with the basic operations and be very clear that you won't be supporting the tool(s) and don't provide an email.
It would be more than enough of a help to the community if you released the tools at all. But it would ultimately be up to you nonetheless.

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2014, 09:05:31 pm »
he'd still get emails from people with no reading comprehension