News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Romancing Saga 3 Spanish translation [Released]  (Read 50044 times)

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
Romancing Saga 3 Spanish translation [Released]
« on: August 28, 2012, 02:52:38 am »
Hello everybody,

As I announced in RHDN forum some years ago, I had started translating Romancing Saga 3 for SNES into spanish doing a huge effort in improving the current english translation. I added my own LZH decompression routine in order to insert as much text as possible (in fact, ths script is compressed in half the size it had in english despite of adding lot of new text), I began translating the script along a japanese native friend of mine (about half the script is translated directly from japanese) and changed all fonts in the game to convert them into Variable Width Font.

And now, three year later, we have started the betatesting phase. A group of friends are playing the game with different characters to correct all text typos, detect freezes and correcting context-related mistakes. If any of you want to help us in this huge task, you are welcome. You only need to:

* Be a spanish native speaker; I'm looking for  Center/South American people so they can help correcting some expressions which sound awful in those countries.
 * Be a true gamer; we currently are in the betatesting phase, so it could be boring or tedious to search for errors and report all of them, but real gamers like perfection in games and never give up in getting perfection.
 * Promise to finish the game at least once with Julian as main character.

Here you can see some screenshots:

And you can see more at Traducciones Magno.

If anyone wants to translate the game into other languages, please tell me.

Regards!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:25:34 am by magno »

Disnesquick

• View Profile
Re: Romancing Saga 3 Spanish translation [Betatesting]
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 05:16:14 am »
This is nice-looking work. I was just talking with satsu about resurrecting my work on the game in English, since I managed to do most of the ASM work over a decade ago, with nothing more coming of it. Did you manage to crack the subcode and get a dialogue dumper/inserter or are you working directly with the ROM data?

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 07:05:40 am »
This is nice-looking work.

Thank you very much. That's a great honour coming from one of the greatest romhackers ever like you, Disnequick.

I was just talking with satsu about resurrecting my work on the game in English, since I managed to do most of the ASM work over a decade ago, with nothing more coming of it. Did you manage to crack the subcode and get a dialogue dumper/inserter or are you working directly with the ROM data?

Yes, I dumped all ASM code of each command in separate files (with comments), added my own ones (to detect genere and number of members in the group to use plurals) and dumped all text in japanese (including those texts belonging to battles, military war and so on).
And of course, I have my own insertor that applies LZH compression to the script previous to insertion.

Do you want to have a look at them, maybe?

Disnesquick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 08:21:49 am »
added my own ones (to detect genere and number of members in the group to use plurals) and dumped all text in japanese (including those texts belonging to battles, military war and so on).

That's the kind of attention to detail that separates great hacks from the crowd. I'm really impressed!

And of course, I have my own insertor that applies LZH compression to the script previous to insertion.

My days working on RS3 are long long ago but, if I remember correctly, the dialogue blocks are loaded directly from ROM. Do you then individually compress each dialogue chunk?

I guess I won't be resurrecting my work on RS3. It looks like its in very safe hands.

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 09:29:14 am »
My days working on RS3 are long long ago but, if I remember correctly, the dialogue blocks are loaded directly from ROM. Do you then individually compress each dialogue chunk?

Yes, I compress each chunk separatelly. The main dialog text is divided in banks 0xFA, 0xFB and 0xFC which have its own pointer table (1024 for 0xFA and 0xFB, 768 for 0xFC); then I check the most common pair of bytes (not only chars) and create a dictionary filled with:
   * 0x000 to 0x0FF -> chars and commands
   * 0x100 -> END marker
   * 0x101 to 0x7FF -> the most common pair of bytes up to the optimum combination of dicionary size and compression ratio.

The next step is to "compress" the script using this dictionary. This saves 115680 bytes in the script length but increases 7164 bytes because of dictionary size.
Finally, I compress the script using Huffman, with 12 bit length entries. The MSB tells if the tree entry is a "leaf" or a "branch". This reduces each bank's size roughly in a half (53% of original size).

All those steps are made in a dialog basis, i.e. from "END" marker to "END" marker.

Besides, I analyze the miscellaneous text ( items, armors, weapons, magic...) and fill the extra room in the hex table with most common couple of chars (depending on the language which is going to be translated into, the tool calculates the number of hex bytes needed for characters and the remaining up to 0xFF are filled) so those texts are compressed in a different way.

I guess I won't be resurrecting my work on RS3. It looks like its in very safe hands.

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 09:35:37 am »
If I understood that correctly, then it's not exactly an LZ* variant but you use a pre-compiled dictionary? That way, it does not have to be decompressed to RAM as a whole, which is an advantage. And achieving around 50% compression is quite good (on the SNES, anyway).

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 09:35:48 am »
That looks great magno! I also commend you for offering to do an English script as well. I hope you find a good volunteer. I'd love to see the English version get the same facelift.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 12:19:11 pm »
If I understood that correctly, then it's not exactly an LZ* variant but you use a pre-compiled dictionary? That way, it does not have to be decompressed to RAM as a whole, which is an advantage. And achieving around 50% compression is quite good (on the SNES, anyway).

Oh, I always thought that was called LZH, but anyway, you're not exactly right, it has to be decompressed to RAM. To decompress, you go through the tree getting bits from the input to "choose the branch". When you get to a leaf (MSB to '1'), you get the 11-bit word (the 12th is the MSB) and have three options:
 1) If it is less than 0x100, you get the output byte
 2) If it is greater than 0x100, you go to the pre-compiled dictionary and get the proper entry
 3) If it is 0x100, the dialog is over ("END" marker)

If you go to 2), then the dictionary must be decoded recursively because it is made of the best pair of bytes in each iteration while compressing. So it is decoded recursively till you get a valur less than 0x100 (one char o command) or 0x100 (END Marker). This step is the one when you decode the entry, altough the string is not decoded to RAM; instead I have a counter which tells how many bytes I already decoded from the same entry.

It is a bit complex but really fast to decode.

That looks great magno! I also commend you for offering to do an English script as well. I hope you find a good volunteer. I'd love to see the English version get the same facelift.

Thanks!

In fact, I send the scripts to a man who said he was japanese native and that was willing to translate the full script to english. I keep you all updated about progress in this thread.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 12:49:59 pm »
Yeah, this is definitely looking impressive! I won't feel obligated to dig my claws into RS3 once RS2 finally gets out to the public, and given how nasty these games's dialog tends to be, this is a very healthy thing for my stress levels.

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 02:11:28 am »
Yeah, this is definitely looking impressive! I won't feel obligated to dig my claws into RS3 once RS2 finally gets out to the public, and given how nasty these games's dialog tends to be, this is a very healthy thing for my stress levels.

Thanks a lot! You are the other best romhacker I was talking about: Darkforce, Disnesquick and you are pretty much an inspiration for me. How can you release so many translations per year?? Do you do this all the time, even at nights? ;)

I hope the english translation of RS3 will match up your RS2 translation...

Disnesquick

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 08:05:37 am »

What's the status on RS2, anyway? You've got it listed as 5% with the "fgold" screenshot still up.

Also, on the subject of compression, do you know what kind of ratios my Ladystalker compression routines get? I never got to test them on English.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 12:12:11 pm »
I did some work on RS2 a few months ago; we now have a functional VWF thanks to LostTemplar, and I've managed to expand the script by tripling the size of the pointer table. It's not a perfect hack and doesn't work all the time, but that's what debugging's for :p

Also I don't think I ever got your recompression tools for ladystalker. In the end, as with most of the games I work on, its compression ended up getting worked around and it now loads uncompressed text from an expanded region of the rom.

Disnesquick

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 06:40:48 pm »
I just sent you the email again, that I sent you in 2007. With the tools. Even with source code. LS was probably the hardest and weirdest compression I've ever cracked...

:( :banghead:

patuli

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 01:47:14 am »
¡Gracias Magno! ,unicamente me registre para felicitarte por tu trabajo.
Y esperando por fin poder jugar ese excelente RPG completamente en español

Admin Edit: English only please, or provide a translation:

Great, thanks! I only registered to congratulate you on your work.
I'm finally hoping to play this excellent RPG entirely in Spanish.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:36:23 am by Nightcrawler »

creeperton

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 03:46:14 pm »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:16:05 am by creeperton »

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 06:29:21 pm »
http://biolab.warsworldnews.com/posting.php?mode=quote&f=10&p=754

Romancing SaGa 3, Spanish Translation Files, by magno

Thanks for giving credit to my work ;)

creeperton

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 07:06:15 pm »
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 01:16:11 am by creeperton »

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 11:13:23 pm »
Could a willing translator theoretically use these tools to translate the script and play the game as he progresses in the translation? I'd love to do that.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

magno

• View Profile
    • Traducciones Magno
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 01:36:43 am »
Could a willing translator theoretically use these tools to translate the script and play the game as he progresses in the translation? I'd love to do that.

~DS

Yes of course; in fact, right now a guy is translating the script from japanese. But he can't insert the script yet because I want to fix all know bugs in the current version.

DougRPG

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 03:08:37 pm »
Hi, I'd like to translate this game to portuguese. I don't know japanese, so is there a way I could use your tools to translate the game to portuguese, based on your spanish translation or the english translation?

I can also test your translation...

Thank you