News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Have you ever taken a professional translation course?  (Read 6046 times)

DragonmasterX

• View Profile
Have you ever taken a professional translation course?
« on: August 26, 2012, 07:05:54 pm »
I'm guessing there's a few of them out there, but the only one I've looked into is the JET Program one for JET participants. I looked at what my fellow senior ALTs were doing in that translation correspondence course and just like the language study course, it looked like a joke to me -- way too easy. The fan translation stuff I was already doing was significantly more difficult, so why bother with this translation course stuff, even if it's more official? But that's just the JET Program one, maybe translation courses at other places are more helpful?

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
Re: Have you ever taken a professional translation course?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 01:31:46 am »
I did three years worth of translation (and interpreting) courses as part of my degree, but nothing outside of that. Your location says New York but you talking about being an ALT, so I'm not really sure where you are but any translation course won't be a complete waste of time and I'm sure you will be able to find somethin in or around where you live (or even on-line), but experience will always be preffered. If you are looking to start out in translation the best thing you can do is try and get some experience, which I know isn't easy as you need experience to get work in the first place.

Since I have been freelancing (which may only be a few years) the main prerequisite for work has been experience, although lately I have seen more listings and companies requiring N1 of the Japanese Langauge Proficiency Test, so I would suggest working towards that, if you don't already have it.

Oh yeah, and that JET programme translation course is a complete joke. A professional translator wouldn't wipe their arse with it. But if you get the chance you might as well do it, it's essentially a free qualification.

DragonmasterX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 01:37:41 am »
Oh yeah, and that JET programme translation course is a complete joke. A professional translator wouldn't wipe their arse with it. But if you get the chance you might as well do it, it's essentially a free qualification.

I considered the language course at first. But they said if I already have JLPT1, even the advanced course would be too easy. So they asked me to consider the translation course, and as it seems, that too is a joke as well.

ItzWizz

• It is what it is...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 06:21:36 am »
You guys are lucky to have Japanese courses in your respective areas. As for me, just 8 years of experience through trial and error.... this and this and what is what lol. Eventually i started getting the hang of it..... taught myself everything i had to know about Japanese. Reading lessons online, watching than more 50+ anime (i ain't kidding) and most of all practicing.... A LOT!!! But its all good..taking courses is definitely the way to go. But experience, goes a long, long way!!!

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 02:08:54 pm »
I took a translation course from Japanese to English in college. And I'm going to take an English to Japanese one next semester, if I ever get financial aid.

The guy who taught the one I already took is actually a professional translator. He's translated a few books and whatnot in academic circles.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

DragonmasterX

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 02:38:06 pm »
The guy who taught the one I already took is actually a professional translator. He's translated a few books and whatnot in academic circles.

~DS

Now THAT'S a translation course I would wanna take.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 02:56:39 pm »
Now THAT'S a translation course I would wanna take.
Yeah, the guy was really helpful. He actually was in the process of writing a book on translation, like a textbook. So he just gave us .doc copies of it, and that's what we did our coursework from. He even told me I had a real knack for translation, and that I should definitely go into it. :D

~DS

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 07:56:40 pm »

~DS

That would mean that there are people out there teaching translation courses who aren't even translators themselves.  :huh:

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 08:02:54 pm »
How so? The guy speaks fluent Japanese. Are you implying that because he translates some things for academia that he's not a real translator? I only mentioned that because I felt it was impressive. Pretty sure that's not the only thing he's translated.

~DS

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 08:16:06 pm »
How so? The guy speaks fluent Japanese. Are you implying that because he translates some things for academia that he's not a real translator? I only mentioned that because I felt it was impressive. Pretty sure that's not the only thing he's translated.

~DS

What?

You mentioned that the guy teaching your class was a translator. If that is worth mentioning, then it would stand to reason that there are some people out there that teach translation but aren't translators themselves. I wasn't referring to your professor. Translating academic papers and whatnot more than qualifies him as a translator. I think you may have missread what I originally posted.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 01:19:54 am »
What?

You mentioned that the guy teaching your class was a translator. If that is worth mentioning, then it would stand to reason that there are some people out there that teach translation but aren't translators themselves. I wasn't referring to your professor. Translating academic papers and whatnot more than qualifies him as a translator. I think you may have missread what I originally posted.
Oh, haha. No, I just meant that there are probably a lot of people out there are just native Japanese people who teach Japanese classes. Not necessarily translators themselves, y'know?

~DS

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 01:36:06 am »
Oh, haha. No, I just meant that there are probably a lot of people out there are just native Japanese people who teach Japanese classes. Not necessarily translators themselves, y'know?

~DS

Oh I get ya. I actually had two native Japanese teachers of Japanese at my university (husband and wife as a matter of fact) and one of them couldn't really speak English. Neither of them had any teaching qualifications, they just happened to be in the right place at the right time. This didn't stop them from being good teachers, I learnt a lot from both of them.

My translation teacher was a old hand at it, and pretty old himself. He was a native English speaker and had been a professional freelancer for like 20 years. He was a little insane and he looked almost exactly like Dr. Robotnik from the Sonic the Hedgehog games. He really loved Enka, and would sometimes give us the lyrics to his favourite songs for us to translate as homework. One class he just busted out a musicless karaoke performance, completely out of nowhere and to his credit he could really hit and hold a note when he wanted to. He was still using the print edition of Nelsons Kanji Dictionary, citing that unlike an electronic dictionary, his print edition still worked and didn't need batteries to run. I can still remember his shrill, maniacal cackle of a laugh.

I miss being a student

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 08:02:08 pm »
I've never taken a translation course, but I've gotten a lot of anecdotal information from translators I've met in Japan. My wife and I also attended a translation workshop a while back, where we learned about some translation techniques, and also about the industry in general (really important to know, btw).

I'd recommend you go for JLPT N1. Lately it's become a prerequisite for many jobs that require a high knowledge of Japanese (including my own, I should add). As you might already know, the test includes a lot of rare/obscure/impractical language, but studying for it will expand your overall knowledge, so it's worth it to give it a shot.
Sign THIS!

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 08:14:27 pm »
...also about the industry in general (really important to know, btw).

Care to share?

~DS

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 09:58:23 pm »
Care to share?

Some of the things I learned are probably common sense, but still useful:

- Check out potential clients' reputations to avoid getting stiffed.
- Get your contracts in writing.
- Be prepared to take on rush jobs (and charge accordingly).
- Save as much money as possible so you can make it through the times when there isn't a lot of work available (if you're a freelancer).
- It's not all comics and video games. Be prepared to translate a lot of boring stuff like legal and financial documents as your bread and butter.
- It helps to know multiple languages.
- Be versatile. Read up on a lot of different fields.

HTH
Sign THIS!

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 10:03:12 pm »
Yep. Pretty much went through all of that stuff in my first few months as a freelancer.

Though I did recently have a job that was rough. They quoted ~7,000 characters to me within three days. I didn't bother questioning it. Turned out to be about double that, and they tried to sneak it in as images.

I wound up fighting with the client for a while. But I got paid for it. About 14,000 characters. $1,000. :D

...'course, now that client hasn't offered me any jobs since. XD

~DS