News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: F-ZERO: Legend of Falcon - card e+ course names  (Read 6763 times)

RadioTails

• Holding the Mega Drive controller
    • View Profile
F-ZERO: Legend of Falcon - card e+ course names
« on: August 16, 2012, 04:48:32 pm »
I've been adding information to wiki about the e-reader support in F-ZERO: Legend of Falcon (F-ZERO: GP Legend) and I was hoping someone could confirm the names for the custom courses are correct. 

See the red section in the table: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-Zero:_GP_Legend_%28video_game%29#List_of_e.2B_Cards

These were translated by RichardTaro (see post here: http://www.mrfixitonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=8390&sid=c564ab9df32bbb37e5e2737e79aaf6fd) although some of them don't look right.  The ones I have doubt with:

"Vingt-Cinq Rink" doesn't sound right in English.  Maybe it is meant to be "Ice Rink"?

"Yeti Foot" I'm sure is right, but in English, it might sound better as "The Yeti Foot".  Or, are we meant to add a ' since the foot belongs to the Yeti (I might be thinking to deeply however).

"Grand Rumble (or Rumble Grand as RichardTaro put it)" just confuses me.  Why would a rumble be grand?

"Dukedom Circuit", according to google, it is a title you give to a person.  Seems silly to name a track that.

Any help would be great.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: F-ZERO: Legend of Falcon - card e+ course names
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 05:00:26 pm »
My French sucks, but Vingt-Cinq is twenty-five.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 05:50:14 pm »
"Vingt-Cinq Rink" doesn't sound right in English.  Maybe it is meant to be "Ice Rink"?
It is almost certainly meant to be Vingt-Cinq Rink.

"Yeti Foot" I'm sure is right, but in English, it might sound better as "The Yeti Foot".  Or, are we meant to add a ' since the foot belongs to the Yeti (I might be thinking to deeply however).
On Wikipedia, the tendency is to keep it to direct translation. Best leave it alone.

"Grand Rumble (or Rumble Grand as RichardTaro put it)" just confuses me.  Why would a rumble be grand?
It’s Rumble Ground.

I’m not sure why a rumble wouldn’t be grand, though :P

"Dukedom Circuit", according to google, it is a title you give to a person.  Seems silly to name a track that.
A king has a kingdom, a duke has a dukedom. It’s not any more silly than having nobility.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

RadioTails

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 06:56:43 pm »
My French sucks, but Vingt-Cinq is twenty-five.

I feel kind of stupid now.  :P

So ドラコン is apparently a golf term.  Translations seem to show it as "Driving Contest" or "Longest Drive".  Which one is meant to be correct?

アンジュレーションウェーブ translates to Undulation Wave.  Looking at the track (http://www.mrfixitonline.com/view_video.php?v=IuC8YgPZ6a4) there would be more than one wave, so should I translate that as "Undulation Waves"?  Unless the title is referring to the type of wave?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 07:04:55 pm by RadioShadow »

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 08:49:53 pm »
I'd argue that RED CANYON ダートダート is supposed to be Dirt Dart, as in "speeding through the dirt." Can't really source it, but dirt and dart do come out the same in katakana, and it makes more sense to my ears than "dirt dirt."

enigmaopoeia

• View Profile
    • Memories of Fear
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 07:51:55 am »
Here is a link that shows ヴァンサンク as Vingt-Cinq.

ドラコン is the shortened form of the golfing term ドライビングコンテスト [Driving Contest]. But I have also seen it to mean Long Drive Contest. I believe either translation works.

アンジュレーションウェーブ is Undulation Wave. Undulation Waves would be written out as アンジュレーションウェーブス.

I also agree with Gideon Zhi on ダートダート, Dirt Dart sounds more pleasing to the ears.

I personally think タイルズ・スクエア should be Tiles Square, I believe this is a parody of タイムズ・スクウェア [Times Square].

Also here are some links that may be helpful:
http://www.geocities.jp/moonspotsunshine/index.html
http://ghiaccio.sakura.ne.jp/F-ZERO_GX_interview01.html

RadioTails

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 04:48:45 pm »
I'd argue that RED CANYON ダートダート is supposed to be Dirt Dart, as in "speeding through the dirt." Can't really source it, but dirt and dart do come out the same in katakana, and it makes more sense to my ears than "dirt dirt."

From what I understand, the Japanese do like using the same word twice, let English translations change them to use different words.  Two examples are ぷよぷよ (Puyo Puyo) where the English version translates it as Puyo Pop.  The other is in Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney 3, where Ron DeLite nicknamed himself "Mask Mask".  In the English translation, it was Mask*DeMasque.

Most likely the translation is "Dirt Dirt" since there is a lot of dirt on the course.  However, I will use the translation "Dirt Dart" which I agree sounds much better in English and still has a similar meaning.

ドラコン is the shortened form of the golfing term ドライビングコンテスト [Driving Contest]. But I have also seen it to mean Long Drive Contest. I believe either translation works.

アンジュレーションウェーブ is Undulation Wave. Undulation Waves would be written out as アンジュレーションウェーブス.

I personally think タイルズ・スクエア should be Tiles Square, I believe this is a parody of タイムズ・スクウェア [Times Square].

I agree Tiles Square makes it a better parody on the word Times Square.

Looking at google, "Long Drive Competition" would also be correct and sounds better to me.  Thanks for clearing that one up.

One of the courses is designed to look like the ace of hearts.  However, the translation of the word "heart" is "ハート" while "hearts" is "ハーツ"?  In poker, whenever we refer to an ace card, we say "Ace of Hearts", "Ace of Diamonds", "Ace of Spades" or "Ace of Clubs".  I would argue that "Ace of Hearts" would be a correct translation, or should I stick to what the Katakana says? 

I actually just realized that the "スクリュー" which translates as "Screw", is not referring to the English word "screw" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw).  It is in fact referring to the Japanese word "screw" (http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%82%B9%E3%82%AF%E3%83%AA%E3%83%A5%E3%83%BC), which in English we refer to as a "Propeller" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propeller_%28marine%29).  Looking at the course closely, it is suppose to be a propeller with four blades.

In this case, I would have said "Propeller" would be acceptable, since the course looks nothing like a screw and would confuse people (like me :P). 

enigmaopoeia

• View Profile
    • Memories of Fear
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 10:39:29 pm »
Yes, Hearts is ハーツ. They use ハートのエース to mean Ace of Hearts, so エースオブハート is translated as Ace of Hearts.

スクリュー can mean both propeller and screw, such as those on boats or planes. Also, the latter Wikipedia link even states "A propeller is often colloquially known as a screw." Thus both translations can work in this case.