News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Help translating a small board game (3 pages) - Dice Quest  (Read 6319 times)

Legend

• View Profile
Help translating a small board game (3 pages) - Dice Quest
« on: August 14, 2012, 09:39:45 pm »
Hi.

Sorry that this doesn't fit exactly, but I am looking for help in translating a microgame of sorts. It's a dungeon crawler named Dice Quest that was only released in Japan.

You can see the link here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4284/dice-quest

Unfortunately, I don't speak Japanese. I've tried to figure it out before, but no luck.  I can figure out a couple things if I'm looking at a cheat sheet, but don't understand the meaning/translation to English very well.  So, I thought I'd try here.

There are only 3 pages of text that need to be translated. The rules, the character sheet, and optionally, a newsletter page. Possibly the box text as well.

This is for a mini solitaire board game that just uses paper, pencil, and specialized dice.

I intend to take the translation and reformat it to post on the board game geek for non-Japanese speaking geeks to enjoy. Who ever does the translation for me will of course be credited at the top under the game title.

People on boardgamegeek.com have been looking for a translation of this for quite some time. Many geeks over at bgg would be very grateful to anyone who helps.

Thanks in advance for anyone who feels inclined to help out with this small little project.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Help translating a small board game (3 pages) - Dice Quest
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 10:30:30 pm »
I can help. I'm good with games. I am a Yu-Gi-Oh! fan, after all. :3

Plus, if you can provide (good!) scans of all the material with Japanese text, I should be able to 'shop some nice-looking English translations on. (Yeah, I moonlighted as a scanlator for a while, too. Check out Liar Game #98-113 sometime!)
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Legend

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 12:26:50 am »
Thanks Ryusui. That's awesome.

Unfortunately, the only scans I have are the ones on the link that I posted in the files section of the page.

I can try to contact a fellow bgg member who I have been talking to about the game who recently posted some new pics of the game. I can ask if he can get a better scan of the rules.

Thanks again.

rules:
http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/75w6we0u3/DiceQuestRules.jpg?

character sheet:
http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/759mf9ydg/DiceQuest3Sheet.jpg?

newsletter:
http://files.boardgamegeek.com/file/download/75aekuck3/DiceQuestNewsletter.jpg?

Found a site with some more info on the game, but I don't think it has other manual scans.
http://homepage1.nifty.com/fmkikaku/Questers/siryou.html

If the scans on the page are not clear enough, let me know. I have contacted the person who made the original scans, but they are in the process of moving and won't be able to get new scans made until sometime in september.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:12:24 am by Legend »

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 06:30:36 pm »
The scans actually work pretty good. Better ones might help with the trickier kanji, but I've looked over it and I have a general idea of things.

My plan is to recreate the manual in Word format and export it to PDF. Here's the WIP. I know, just the sample map, but it looks nice, right? :3

Legend

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 09:07:30 pm »
Right on. That does look pretty nice. Thanks.

I still put out the word for better scans and for other versions. Apparently, this is actually some sort of series.

THanks again.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 10:25:13 pm »
Indeed. This is Dice Quest 3; there's also a Dice Quest and Dice Quest 2 out there.

Legend

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 10:28:05 pm »
Noticed there was more to than that single page. Here is the link to some more info as far as I can tell. Looks like it has a faq too.
http://homepage1.nifty.com/fmkikaku/Questers/

Google translate really sucks :P but as far as I can tell, some of the rules and/or variants are covered in some of the links on that page as well as some of the history. I can't really make heads or tails of it though since it kinda comes out as mostly giberish when using google translate.

I put out a post on board game geek seeking out clearer scans of the manual and any other info on the other games in the series.

If there's any info you can get from the site, that would be cool. Thanks again Ryusui.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 10:35:55 pm by Legend »

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 10:59:40 pm »
Useful. The site is called "Super Questers," and it bills itself as a site for "Super Dice Quest." The boxart with a reddish-orange background, FYI, says "Dice Quest Neo" (not "Dice Quest N" as BGG says). So yeah, I need to figure out how many variants there have been. XD

Interestingly, both the site and the rulebook you gave me list "Craft Dice x4" and "Stickers" for the dice. At first I'll admit I thought "Craft Dice" meant "papercraft dice" (i.e. craft paper hexaminoes meant to be folded and taped/glued into dice), though the presence of a sticker sheet for the dice makes me question that assumption. I wonder if the dice were meant to be paper or plastic? ^_^;

Also, for some weird reason, the title of the game is always written in hiragana - normally English (or other foreign-origin) words are written in katakana. Same with "Questers."

Legend

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 01:09:55 am »
Here's part of an email that another board game geek member forwarded to me about him inquiring to someone else about the game:

Hi Scott,

Thanks for emailing me  I've been doing some research after you emailed me, and there's actually a series of games called Dice Quest, 1,2,3, etc. Do you know which one you are interested in? There's only 1 entry in BGG though. Each Dice Quest box plays differently.

The rules I can see up on BGG are for Dice Quest 3. There appears to be stickers that game with the game, and there's a certain way to setup the dice, and apply the stickers.

For Dice Quest 3, I've been trying to find out more information about this game online, but I'm not sure if you can purchase it readily. But this is what I've gathered. PS. My Japanese is limited, so I've joined 'forces' with my Japanese friend to be able to translate documents into both languages. She helps me decipher the Japanese rules, and I help her decipher the English rules. hehe

Dice Quest 3 looks interesting, You have to design a character, and go through the dungeon by rolling the dice. You roll the dice and that also sets up your dungeon, (but I might need to see the dice images to work out more) and the dice determine your encounters/traps/treasure/rooms and so on.

It looks like the stickers are the face of the dice and are meant to be put on actual dice. Don't know if you are just supposed to use your own dice or if it came with blank dice or not.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2012, 02:38:30 am »
It did, like I said. Four "craft dice," whatever that means. I guess we can assume they mean "craft" as in "DIY" - that is, blank dice you can apply faces to as you see fit (read: apply the appropriate stickers to each).

Legend

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 08:10:21 am »
Just checking in. Have you had any luck Ryusui?

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 11:45:33 am »
I've got some stuff translated. Other things have taken my attention and I haven't made much progress recently, though. On the upside, I'd say I've got it about 1/4 done.

Legend

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 11:38:47 pm »
Nice.

Thank you very much for the update.

I just wish there was more that I could actually contribute myself.

Thanks again.

Legend

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 02:16:54 pm »
Just seeing how it's going.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 03:21:39 pm »
Life has steadfastly gotten in the way. Sorry. It'll be done as soon as I can get some time to breathe.

Legend

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2012, 02:38:46 am »
Life has steadfastly gotten in the way. Sorry. It'll be done as soon as I can get some time to breathe.

No worries. Completely understandable. Take your time. I was just checking in.

I have several projects myself including one I was really hoping to get out this past weekend for the ARRP that I couldn't because of real life and working 18 hours a day.

Legend

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 06:26:04 pm »
Hey Ryusui.

Just curious if you ever found time to work on this.  Hope I'm not bugging you.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 07:15:32 am »
I'll get back to this when I can. I love the idea of translating this and I really hope I can finish it up sometime.