News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Anybody able to mod sounds in games?  (Read 1561 times)

evil_ash_xero

Anybody able to mod sounds in games?
« on: August 14, 2012, 07:09:23 am »
I wrote this up in another part of the board...but this one seems more appropriate.

I'm wanting someone who can delete sound effects from a few games. Battle voices, to be specific. A couple of PS2 games, and a few N64 games.

It's work for hire, so if anyone can do this for me, PM me, and give me a price.

Thanks.

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody able to mod sounds in games?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 11:51:10 pm »
It is fairly straightforward to do this with SNES games, since digitized sound effects in SNES games tend to always use the same format that is easily recognized and whose data is easily replaceable.  This is not true for PS2 games and N64 games.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Zoinkity

• View Profile
Re: Anybody able to mod sounds in games?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 05:18:29 pm »
N64 titles will usually save sounds and music in different formats, mostly having to do with clarity vs. filesize.

N64 games use several different formats of both.  You have a number of solutions though.  SubDrag's sound tools would let you tamper with or remove sounds directly from certain kinds of recognised formats, and most of the sound effect formats are either supported or documented.  Many games would also allow you to simply remove the pointers for certain sounds you didn't want played and they'd default to, well, not playing.  Horribly complicated ones though it is usually just much easier to kill any JAL used for playing the sound as an event. 

What N64 titles are you talking about?  Chances are its one we've already looked at, so we could give you some specifics.