News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: What's wrong with official translations?  (Read 23017 times)

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: What's wrong with official translations?
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2012, 03:34:38 pm »
I meant they cut an awesome scene as a consequence of cutting the confrontation with the enemy president. >_>
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2012, 09:59:18 pm »
But it was the right thing to do, if you're cutting the rest of it. As such, it was a good localization decision amidst an otherwise bad localization, and somewhat redeems the decision-makers, or something.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2012, 10:22:49 pm »
*sigh* I'm saying that "as a consequence of cutting the confrontation, they also had to cut the awesome lead-up to it as well." Konami did a lot of dumb things with Assault Suits Valken (changing the name among them), but of course they'd have to cut the "crash through the building" scene if they cut the confrontation.

I'm not saying they could've kept the lead-up if they cut the confrontation; I'm just saying there were two casualties involved in that edit.

tagengo

• AYBABTU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2012, 09:59:43 am »
The name changes aren't an issue. The simple fact is, the entire translation is a clusterbomb. The whole thing is a mechanical conversion from Japanese, and it's a stilted, awkward mess. It's supposed to be a lighthearted fantasy romp with a crunchy center of drama, but with the bizarre, slightly unhinged feel to all the character dialogue, it feels more like a trip through a medieval Twin Peaks.

Good thing I stepped in when I did. :3

Hi Ryusui,

tried to send you a private message, but it wouldn't go through.
I was hoping to get permission to use some of your BoFII retranslation work (including the translator notes) in my research.
Please let me know if this would be ok, or if you have any questions before you can decide. Thanks!
<<NOTE: I'm conducting research on video game translations - I might use some answers (anonymously) in my research, so please only answer my posts if this is OK. More information can be found at https://docs.google.com/a/sheffield.ac.uk/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDRIbGx2aE9hZnhQM2Ff

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2012, 04:00:56 pm »
Sorry, I forgot to clear out my PM box. ^_^;

Let's continue this conversation over PM, all right?

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2012, 05:01:12 pm »
I certainly prefer your patch.  (great job by the way!)  They gutted it badly, and it was always peculiar that they didn't shorten up lengthy scenes after removing dialog, such as when you arrive on Earth. 

Personally I always wondered why the factory was attached to the senate in the first place, but that particular scene did seem better orchestrated in the english. 

I can't speak for everybody, but if I did I'd thank you warmly for always making a concerted effort to ensure these patches run on hardware.  So few people really take the effort to do so.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2012, 05:06:46 pm »
I can't speak for everybody, but if I did I'd thank you warmly for always making a concerted effort to ensure these patches run on hardware.  So few people really take the effort to do so.

While I can't speak for actual hacks, as far as translations go I really don't think that's true. There have been a few admittedly, including a few higher-profile ones such as DD's Mystic Ark and my own Ys 4, and those tend to get attention drawn to them. I can only think of four off of the top of my head that at one point didn't work on hardware where backup solutions are readily available, and Ys 4 and Mystic Ark, previously mentioned, have since been fixed. Unsure about Gulliver Boy, and it's been stated in another current thread that the alternative FF3 NES translation doesn't work on hardware due to ROM expansion. But beyond those I can't identify any, and there are a *lot* of NES and SNES translations available.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2012, 10:41:10 pm »
It's too bad I couldn't get my Magna Braban translation to work.
I don't think bsnes had yet developed by that point (or maybe I didn't have a PC at the time that get could more than like 10 FPS), didn't have a flash cart either.

Yes, in the case of FF3, supposedly a real MMC3 only supports a maximum of 64 8K banks (=512K). But maybe there are pirate variants that support larger sizes.

Another hacker has since independently fixed the Gulliver Boy patch.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Nightcrawler

• View Profile
    • Nightcrawler's Translation Corporation
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2012, 09:28:44 am »
It's too bad I couldn't get my Magna Braban translation to work.

I told you I'd help you figure it out. You had no response. I know why it doesn't work.
TransCorp - Over 20 years of community dedication.
Dual Orb 2, Wozz, Emerald Dragon, Tenshi No Uta, Glory of Heracles IV SFC/SNES Translations

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2012, 03:43:38 pm »
Well, that comment was specifically directed towards the original patch release, not trying to ignore you, NC.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018