News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: What's wrong with official translations?  (Read 23047 times)

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: What's wrong with official translations?
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2012, 11:16:19 am »
It's mostly romanization issues (stuff like Golem being rendered as Gorem.) The writing is fine.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2012, 11:19:01 am »
According to D, Lufia was pretty good. The only changes were a few minor censorship changes to please NoA (changing all "Death" items to "Gloom", change the booze to cider, change the churches to generic "houses of healing"), the names that were changed (spells, a few enemies) were non-sense in the original. (at least if I remember his story right)
The only significant change I know of is that the item descriptions were removed, but I suspect that was done to squeeze the translation into an 8-megabit ROM, down from the announced 12 megabits (and from what I had seen translating them with a dictionary, it doesn't seem like many of there were that helpful anyways).
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2012, 11:52:59 am »
Just out of curiosity, has anything else turned out BoF2 bad?

Is it too easy (in the low-hanging fruit sense) to go with "WAIT FOR A SOUL WITH A RED CRYSTAL ON DEBORAH CLIFF"?

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2012, 12:16:10 pm »
Yes, if for no other reason than that the Japanese version was just as intractable. In that sense the US version is faithful, no matter how weird it may seem.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2012, 02:21:29 pm »
Yeah. As far as I know, I'm even the one who first confirmed that Castlevania 2 is just as full of deliberate lies in the original Japanese as it is in English.
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

goldenband

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2012, 10:37:08 pm »
Well, fair enough -- but that specific line is mistranslated, isn't it?  My understanding is that it wasn't meant to be a false clue, and that "デボラノガケノ マエデ アカスイショウヲ カカゲ カゼヲマテ" should have been something like "Show/present the red crystal in front of Deborah’s cliff and wait for the wind".

(It wouldn't surprise me if whoever wrote that is a member here, so apologies if I'm quoting someone's work back at them.)

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2012, 10:53:09 pm »
What you posted is correct. It says "Carry the Red Crystal to the front of Deborah's Cliff and wait for the wind."

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2012, 09:34:52 am »
Likewise, “I AM ERROR.” is not a mistranslation, just a bad one.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2012, 12:13:36 pm »
That kind of reminds me of a very bad mistake in the German PC version of FF7. Instead of "Which Chocobo do you want to ride?" they said "Wie willst du ihn reiten?" ("How do you want to ride him?"). No idea how they got that wrong... funny thing is that the PC version was retranslated because the PSX one was so bad. Obviously didn't help much, though.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2012, 09:59:16 pm »
IN OTHER WORDS to answer the original question, usually nothing! Unless it's a product of extreme censorship like Assault Suits Valken/Cybernator or alternatively legitimately awful like Breath of Fire 2 or the Swedish translation of Sword of Hope, which translated "chest (treasure box)" as "chest (body part)" and other similarly hilarious things.

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2012, 10:42:22 pm »
We've long since left behind the Bad Old Days where we could expect primarily incompetence from official translations. Hell, even Yu-Gi-Oh!'s gotten pretty good as of late. We've long since left behind the bad old days of "Giant Trunade," "Fushioh Richie," and "Buster Rancher" - in fact, "Pigeonholing Books of Spell" (what the...?) was recently reprinted as "Spellbook Organization" (though that's partly because "Spellbook" is now an archetype and it needed to match ^_^;). I think it was Storm of Ragnarok where I finally realized "hey, these are actually pretty good": as the name implies, the set is full of cards referencing Norse mythology, and they didn't miss a single one. In fact, there are some references that weren't in the original: 極神聖帝オーディン is "Odin, Father of the Aesir," and 神の桎梏グレイプニル is "Gleipnir, the Fetters of Fenrir."

Spooniest

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2012, 11:57:45 am »
Only thing that might be wrong with official translations is that we've played them all before.

Shameless plug.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2012, 12:59:44 pm »
Here's another thing I find wrong with official translations. I get that sometimes changing things is necessary, or helps to make things better-suited for whatever audience. But for example, my girlfriend and I started playing Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep Final Mix. I'm not a huge fan of the series, but she is, and she said there was some complex level system where you can customize your attacks into decks and whatnot. So I was interested.

She's a huge fangirl, so she always gets undubs. I usually only do that when I play a game and find that I can't stand one of the English VOs (like Dissidia. Cecil's VO is SO horrible. And the awesome Kefka VO doesn't make up for it). But I start playing, and I realized that the subtitles for cutscenes are cutting out a ton of stuff.

Now, in some situations, like I said, I get it. I doubt there's a very good analog in Japanese for "Fairy Godmother", for example. So when that word comes up in a cutscene, and she calls herself "The Fairy who appears before those who still believe in dreams", I don't give a damn. I note the weird Japanese term, and move on.

But then another cutscene comes up. And here's where it gets interesting.

English Version:

Main Character: The Master always told me that the darkness was meant to be extinguished. But how so but not with light?

Fairy Godmother: That's a question that no one knows the answer to.

Japanese:

MC: The Master told me that the darkness was meant to be extinguished. How does one go about doing that?

FG: The answer to that question will only be yours if you have the courage to look within your heart for it.

Totally different nuances here. One has the FG going "*shrug* I dunno", and the other is a cryptic answer.

These two different things happen all the time. The little translation changes that are for the better, and the ones that take nuances out of the script. My girlfriend claims this is because the English VO had to match up with the mouth movements of the Japanese script. But aren't we in 2012? Do we still do that, or do they not have the technology to re-do those now? >_>

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2012, 02:13:18 pm »
They do not have the technology to do that quickly. That is, it either requires something like artist intervention if they do it the hard way, or at least someone timing the words and stuff if they do it the easy way. Add in other technical issues like possibly space and timing, and you can at least understand why they usually settle on “screw it, it’s just a translation” instead of going the extra mile.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2012, 02:47:25 pm »
And besides, "The answer to that question will only be yours if you have the courage to look within your heart for it." just sounds like cryptic longform for "I have no idea, figure it out for yourself."

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2012, 02:59:30 pm »
Dissidia references the DS translation of FFIV. I give it an automatic victory.

"Light and darkness cast aloft!" *BOOM*

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2012, 10:09:51 am »
I always just assumed Cybernator wasn't Assault Suits Valken because they'd have to jump cart size to get everything to fit.

Isn't that a huge issue we haven't really gotten into?  Some guy in a big hat comes down and tells you what size cart they feel like using that day, then hacks apart the translation to fit.
It's a bit interesting to look at what content was left in versus what was removed in those situations.

Homebrew translations do have a huge advantage: we don't have to worry about cart size unless we really, really want to.  For that matter, look how well people accept patches that will never work on hardware.  (I don't believe that's the best practice though.)

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2012, 11:54:27 am »
I always just assumed Cybernator wasn't Assault Suits Valken because they'd have to jump cart size to get everything to fit.

Isn't that a huge issue we haven't really gotten into?  Some guy in a big hat comes down and tells you what size cart they feel like using that day, then hacks apart the translation to fit.
It's a bit interesting to look at what content was left in versus what was removed in those situations.

Homebrew translations do have a huge advantage: we don't have to worry about cart size unless we really, really want to.  For that matter, look how well people accept patches that will never work on hardware.  (I don't believe that's the best practice though.)

This is somewhat true, although you should note that my Valken translation does not expand the rom and fits the text in just fine. It's a somewhat tight fit admittedly and uses some rudimentary compression, but that's nothing the devs couldn't have gotten away with. It also works on the real hardware, as do I believe all of my hacks with the *possible* exception of the gamegear LUNAR title. Either their programmers weren't competent enough to fit the text back into the rom, or they removed the extra text because it happened during the gameplay and believed it interfered with the player's enjoyment of the action. (And then there's the censorship angle, with the enemy president...)

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2012, 02:31:28 pm »
Don't forget they also cut all the character portraits and the leadup to the infamous suicide scene: your mech crashes through like 15 floors of a building to get at the executive office.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2012, 03:02:32 pm »
Cutting the lead-up makes sense, given that they cut the actual scene. You're not going to travel UPDWARD to end up in some factory or hangar place. Makes much more sense that it might be built into the back of the senate building than its roof.