News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Utilities: GBAMusRiper released  (Read 83362 times)

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: Utilities: GBAMusRiper released
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2013, 09:44:33 am »
Nope, the gsf is basically a compressed ROM as far I know. So ripping from them would be absolutely identical than ripping from ROMs exept with an extra decompression stage before it.

I'll look into games which are so called "unrippable" once I'll have the time (this means.... in a very very long time  ;) )

djnforce9

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 26, 2013, 03:21:58 pm »
I understand. I just thought GSF's were the rom but with all unneeded data stripped out leaving the essentials and thereby making it easier to rip.  Ah well; it was worth asking anyway.

Best of luck with the un-rippable roms once you find the time in the far future for it :). What you've created so far is already really awesome for those of us that DO have an ear for quality.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 06, 2014, 04:48:26 am »
The new version 2.0 is here, enjoy !

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 06, 2014, 11:56:41 am »
Oh my, I downloaded it twice and WinRAR says it is broken...  :'(

djnforce9

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2014, 08:45:14 am »
Oh my, I downloaded it twice and WinRAR says it is broken...  :'(

I had no trouble extracting GBAMusRiper. Is your copy of WinRaR updated to the latest version?
Never mind, that was the old version. The new one is broken for me too. Zip file seems to be corrupted. Using the "Repair Archive" function in WinRaR does not resolve the problem either.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 08:53:11 am by djnforce9 »

Mauron

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2014, 11:33:18 am »
I couldn't open it with the built in Windows zip support, but 7-Zip handled it.
Mauron wuz here.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2014, 09:33:57 am »
I'm sorry I didn't know this format was not so widely supported. I used bz2 compression in a ZIP archive, that may be why some decoded doesn't recognise it.

Anyways I'm not going to fix this version right away because I'll be releasing yet another upgrade soon so I'll encode it using a different archival next time. I'll fix the problem of games having hundreds of thousands of useless instruments which messes up the sound font and do the best to keep only the useful ones.

djnforce9

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2014, 11:13:57 am »
Seems you just updated GBAMusRiper (so now I can extract and use the newest version). I like how you converted the jar files into command line windows executables which means I don't have to keep remembering the Java parameters to rip something. Thanks!

Pokemon Emerald now rips like a charm too meaning I can replace the low quality GBA rip recording I have with this. I also find it interesting that all the song data for Pokemon Red/Blue is contained within the Emerald rom.

Anyway, one question though (I've been meaning to ask before). It seems a "Summon Night" (the first game in the series) rip ends up having at least one missing instrument (usually the lead synth) even when using this new version of GBAMusRiper. Any idea if the game uses a special driver for part of the music?

This is how the song is supposed to sound (taken from the GSF):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mo1e8pca6455b6d/Sea%20Bottom%20Cave.mp3

This is what GBAMusRiper produces:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hu2rdwizsgejrz7/song012.mp3
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 11:40:29 am by djnforce9 »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2014, 05:15:35 pm »
The problem is that this instrument is identical in all points to unused instruments, but it is actually used. First time I'm seeing this in a sappy game. Unfortunately I can't fix this without adding a lot of dummy square waves instruments in all soundfonts of all games (I don't want to).

The easier thing to do would be to manually edit the MIDI so that it uses instrument 0-1 instead of instrument 0-0, the only different is that it is a square 2 instrument instead of a square 1 instrument which makes no difference when it's played as MIDI.

To fix it for all songs you'd have to edit the soundfont and copy preset 0-1 to preset 0-0 and that'll fix all the songs using preset 0-0.

DualHero

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2014, 11:03:18 pm »
  Can someone please tell me what's going on here :/  :banghead:

If the image didn't show, here's the link >  http://prntscr.com/2ibcll

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2014, 11:25:25 pm »
  Can someone please tell me what's going on here :/  :banghead:

If the image didn't show, here's the link >  http://prntscr.com/2ibcll
See http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,17545.0.html .
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 11:44:00 am by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2014, 11:11:42 am »
Works fine now, wonderful!  :)

djnforce9

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2014, 10:42:05 am »
The problem is that this instrument is identical in all points to unused instruments, but it is actually used. First time I'm seeing this in a sappy game. Unfortunately I can't fix this without adding a lot of dummy square waves instruments in all soundfonts of all games (I don't want to).

The easier thing to do would be to manually edit the MIDI so that it uses instrument 0-1 instead of instrument 0-0, the only different is that it is a square 2 instrument instead of a square 1 instrument which makes no difference when it's played as MIDI.

To fix it for all songs you'd have to edit the soundfont and copy preset 0-1 to preset 0-0 and that'll fix all the songs using preset 0-0.

Thanks. I'll try editing the midi file and see if that works (it's only for a couple songs so no big deal). I think "Mr Driller 2" may have the same problem as all the square wave instruments are muted and thus only the samples play.

djnforce9

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2014, 08:49:07 am »
Finally got around to attempting to edit the midi file and it turned out to be easier than I thought. All I did was open the midi file in Synthfont2 and assigned the soundfont to all the instruments and they played just fine (both Summon Night and Mr. Driller 2). Thanks! Now the percussion in the song is crystal clear unlike before.

Vague Rant

• Deceptively cute
    • View Profile
    • Vague Rant
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2014, 06:55:02 am »
Does anyone have any ideas for ripping the Disney Sports games (particularly Soccer US/Football EU)? Here's me trying to use GBAMusRiper on Disney Sports: Football (Europe):

Code: [Select]
Sappy sound engine detector (c) 2013 by Bregalad
Searching.....Sound engine detected : Mono version
# of song levels : 0
Engine parameters :
Main Volume : 15 Polyphony : 8 channels, Dac : 8 bits, Sampling rate : 13379 Hz
Song table located at : 0x12ad6c
Parsing song table...Collecting sound bank list... DEBUG 12ad78Song 0
GBA ROM sequence ripper (c) 2012 Bregalad
14 tracks.
Converting...

It never gets any further than this and RAM usage blows out insanely; I think if I'd left it running its footprint would have just kept growing, so I had to kill it (Ctrl+C).
I've got nothing to say, but it's OK.
Vague Rant

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2014, 07:19:52 am »
You're obviously using the old version. Try the new one (2.0) Also this is probably a false positive. (i.e. the program doesn't use sappy but GBAMusRiper "thinks" it uses sappy, and rips garbage)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 05:20:13 am by Bregalad »

Vague Rant

• Deceptively cute
    • View Profile
    • Vague Rant
« Reply #96 on: February 15, 2014, 08:34:51 am »
I was using version 2.1 when I encountered the issue, not the old Java version, but thanks for the rapid and helpful response.
I've got nothing to say, but it's OK.
Vague Rant

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2014, 05:19:59 am »
I'm terribly sorry for accusing you to use the old version, I was in a hurry when I wrote that, and I based this conclusion on the copyright dates, but I kept them when switching the version. I'd rather have to write nothing at all.

Anyways, this is a false positive. I don't have this particular game or ROM, but the only info telling me this is a fake positive is the # of song levels which is 0. If in my search program I force it to be at least 1, I could stop this false positive.

If this is a western-made game it's very likely to NOT use the sappy engine, from my experience I noticed mostly japanese games used the sappy engine.

I hope this was more helpful. I'll release a new version that prevents a false positive when # of song levels is 0.

Pandemoniu

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2014, 08:53:28 pm »
Hi.

I have a question regarding the use of this application. I'm not too familiar with the command prompt window, so I am unsure if I'm doing anything wrong, but I can't quite get it to work.

This version doesn't require Java, which is good, since I have it, but it doesn't seem to be recognized.

For me, the "Reame" isn't as comprehensive as I'd like; I'm not quite sure why I can't get it working.

Do I drag and drop the gba_mus_riper.exe file into the prompt or the folder it came in after unzipping it? At what time do I drag and drop the game file? Should there be any spaces (i.e., should I press the space bar at any time)? How do I know it's working correctly and where do the files come out? Does using Windows 8 make a difference?

If I drag the folder and hit 'Enter', I get "...does not recognize as an internal or external command...". Dragging the gba_mus_riper.exe file and hitting 'Enter' gives me a list of stuff; unfortunately, I don't think that alone is enough to get it working.

Dragging the gba_mus_riper.exe file and the game file in with no spaces gives me "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect", whereas dragging them in with a space between them gets me the above "...is not recognized..." error followed by a "Parsing song table...Error: Can't seek to song table at:0xed55b9e1", whatever that means...

Putting the game file in just asks me what do I want to open it with, just as if I double-clicked on it.

So yeah, I don't know if I'm doing something right or wrong and I could certainly use some help.

Thanks in advance for your time and (potential) answers!  :)

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2014, 05:08:37 am »
Well, you're supposed to drag and drop or manually type the name/path of the program, followed by a space and the name/path of the ROM. (you need the whole path if the command line is not in the same folder as the file/program, but only the name if you are already in the good folder) (since you typically have the progam in a different folder than your ROM at least one of the names should be full).

All that drag and drop does is to make windows type the full path and file name for you.

Now what you get if you just run the program without arguments (i.e. drag and drop the program and click enter) is instructions how to use it with arguments. You're supposed to use the ROM as argument (with a space in between of course, how could your OS know what you are talking about if you appond two different things without a space ?).

Now if you have this can't seek error, it looks like you ran the program corectly and encountered a (real) error. Which ROM did you try to rip ?