News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Utilities: GBAMusRiper released  (Read 82682 times)

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: Utilities: GBAMusRiper released
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 05:45:33 am »
@Jandazekon : Why make 2 identical posts ?
Also there is several more games that doesn't use the sappy engine.
Sword of Mana and Konami Crazy Racers comes to mind right now, but there is several more.

I should investigate why the Pokemon games doesn't work. I admit I didn't test them at all.
I detect the engine by looking for a particular sequence of opcodes that normally is always present. If a game managed to use the same engine but while getting rid of this particular opcode sequence then it's doomed. It would still possible to "manually" rip songs and sf2, but you'll have to locate all the adresses by yourself.

Celice

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2012, 06:19:27 pm »
I also shared this with a Fire Emblem community, and Fire Emblem 7 has messed up drums/snares. Which is strange, as the first page has a post saying the problem specifically works with it :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Feds-EydczU

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2012, 03:33:23 pm »
This is weird, I tested the tool with Fire Emblem (in fact this is one of the game I tested it on the most) and it worked flawlessly. I also tested it on (E), (U), (J) versions, works flawlessly on all 3 of them.

This is almost certainly a problem with the MIDI synthesizer used.

LuigiBlood

• View Profile
    • Solar Magic Advance Blog
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 05:22:22 pm »
I tried this tool, it certainly works, but I got a few problems.

First of all...
When trying it to Mega Man Battle Network 6 (U), it works, but the Soundfont just crashes my players, editors, converters...
It has WAY TOO MUCH instruments and I can't even convert it to DLS for other uses.

The only player which actually worked, timidity++, the MIDIs didn't play right.

I tested it on Mother 1+2 (which for some reason... only finds Mother 2 songs, also MIDIs doesn't play right too, the SF2 is fine though) and Mother 3 (no problems with this one, could even make songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioW5ecphefA ).

Other than the notable problems I got, it works just fine. But as a request, I'd like to have separated SF2s for every voicegroups (with the offset to that voicegroup) instead of having all in one. Also maybe folders for each voicegroups with the SF2 and MIDs that uses it.

I think that would be better to have.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2012, 04:59:33 am »
It's true MMBN6 have an insane amount of instruments, but the soundfont worked for me, with BASSMIDI driver.
This comes from the fact the original game uses a different voicegroup for every song. Capcom apparently liked to do it that way.

I'm not too sure about Mother (the game is only in japanese) but I think the sappy engine is only used for the SNES remake, and that the NES remake uses another engine. This is pure speculation though.

Other than the notable problems I got, it works just fine. But as a request, I'd like to have separated SF2s for every voicegroups (with the offset to that voicegroup) instead of having all in one. Also maybe folders for each voicegroups with the SF2 and MIDs that uses it.

I think that would be better to have.
This should be very easy to do, I will definitely add a flag that allows you to do this.

EDIT : OK it's done, now you can use the -sb command to do exactly what you describe.
The v1.1 is currently going though the RHDN submission approval.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:40:57 am by Bregalad »

Eggplantus

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 11:20:38 pm »
I think that there might be soundfont problems, judging by my experiments with Bomberman Tournament, Mario Party Advance, and even Golden Sun.

Bomberman Tournament - Desert:

How it should sound: http://www.4shared.com/mp3/n3OmbmCD/Desert.html

How it actually sounds: http://www.4shared.com/mp3/Gth5fUx-/Desertmid.html

How it sounds with the Mario Party soundfont: http://www.4shared.com/mp3/YOivdN-n/DesertMPmid.html

Mario Party Advance - Seaside Building:

How it should sound: http://www.4shared.com/mp3/ENwZaTfT/Mario_Party_Advance_-_Shroom_C.html

How it actually sounds: http://www.4shared.com/mp3/50Rw87oC/Shroom_City_-_Seaside_Building.html

How it sounds with the Bomberman Tournament soundfont: http://www.4shared.com/mp3/HqdKfisE/Shroom_City_-_Seaside_Building.html

Golden Sun - Ready for a Challenge:

How it should sound: http://www.4shared.com/mp3/VvXuGmoL/76_Ready_for_a_Challenge.html

How it actually sounds: http://www.4shared.com/mp3/wzl1pt1q/Ready_for_a_Challengemid.html

How it sounds with Mario Party soundfont (seems a bit fuller): http://www.4shared.com/mp3/va4_DWzK/Ready_for_a_ChallengeMPmid.html

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 03:11:31 pm »
I don't have access to your files.

However let me just say I never gave any guarantee GBAMusRiper would sound perfect with all GBA games, in fact I pretty much say the opposite in the readme file.
I also mention a problem about some Golden Sun instruments, which is probably what you're encountering.

Eggplantus

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2012, 07:17:10 am »
What do you mean by not having access? It is easy enough to register there.

Also, I just can't get GBAMusMerger to work.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 12:55:22 pm »
Mmh, pehaps I just don't want to make an account just for that ?

And yes I agree GBAMusMerger is a huge mess, in fact I wrote it just for fun and since I wrote it anyway I decided to release it even though it is a huge mess.
If you could tell me more precisely where your problem is, perhaps I could help.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2012, 10:33:46 am »
For Golden Sun, it's exactly the problem I expected, one of those special instruments missing. Nothing new here.

For the other 2 games, it sounds like an issue with the noise channel where the notes refuses to decay. It's weird, I should probably investigate this bug, thank you for reporting it.

GBAMusMerger seems to work fine for you, but it seems you got an error when copying the save game.

Eggplantus

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2012, 05:30:24 pm »
Seems that GBAMusMerger just isn't compatible with the US version of FF4.

Also, I have been looking into the Pokemon issue, and found that there seems to be a different header for what I believe to be the driver.

FFTA:

Mario Kart Super Circuit:

Sonic Advance 3:

Pokemon Ruby:

Pokemon Emerald:

Pokemon Leaf:

Pokemon Pinball Ru/Sa:

Also, wanted to mention that I was able to extract a MIDI from Pokemon Leaf.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 06:35:33 pm by Eggplantus »

zerowalker

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2012, 12:03:34 am »
How is a fix for Golden Sun coming:)?
Would love to make a Flac soundtrack out of the games, the music is fantastic.

Sinthet

• A line of code a day keeps insanity away.
    • View Profile
    • I write stuff here, sometimes.
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2012, 05:47:23 pm »
Indeed, I'm not normally a huge listener of video game music, but as soon as I saw this I went "I wonder if anyone's ripped the Golden Sun music...".

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2012, 05:55:59 pm »
About Mother 1 & 2: I am pretty sure they simply emulated Mother 1 and it just has the same problem like those NES ports.
But the GBA is not strong enough to emulate the SNES properly, so they decided to reprogram it for GBA. Thus, also the soundengine which became the standart GBA one.
So obviously only the Mother 2 songs can be found.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2012, 05:10:49 pm »
How is a fix for Golden Sun coming:)?
Read the readme.txt file.
The short answer is : it's impossible.

zerowalker

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2012, 08:11:09 pm »
Oh, damn, why is it impossible?
I mean, Emulators can play the sounds just fine?

Thanks

Sinthet

• A line of code a day keeps insanity away.
    • View Profile
    • I write stuff here, sometimes.
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2012, 10:51:20 pm »
Oh, damn, why is it impossible?
I mean, Emulators can play the sounds just fine?

Thanks
Q : The songs in Golden Sun (and Golden Sun : The Lost Age) works fine but there is missing instruments.
A : Sadly this is normal and I can do nothing about it. In fact the developpers were so awesome they improved the sappy engine and implemented their own kind of instruments using mathematical formulas instead of samples, for a cool "synth" sound, especially heard in the battle themes. Unfortunately I have no clue how this instrument works and how to simulate it using Sound Fonts.
^
From the readme  8).
The emulator can play it fine because it just executes the algorithms that were written for the song. Ripping into an audio format that any other music player could understand would require quite a bit of reverse engineering.

zerowalker

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2012, 06:36:13 am »
So in simple terms, it´s just the lack of Midi vs GBA sound?
Meaning if there was a "Midi" that had all intruments, it could be possible?

It would really be awesome if it was possible.
Isn´t it someway possible for the emulators maker, to emulate these instruments, as they should now how the instructions works?

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2012, 09:50:38 am »
I have not fully reverse engineered how Golden Sun's special instrument works, but basically they're not wave table like other instruments, nor PSG like the GameBoy-ish instruments, but they are made of mathematical forumlas that creates a special synth sound. It would be impossible to simulate this with a SF2 file. The closest I could possibly do is detect Golden Sun artificially and insert instruments that sounds close artificially but that's pretty cheap if you ask me.