News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Utilities: GBAMusRiper released  (Read 82780 times)

zerowalker

• View Profile
Re: Utilities: GBAMusRiper released
« Reply #60 on: January 02, 2013, 09:34:25 am »
Well i think it sounded that dull when i played it on an Emulator as well, so maybe it´s the GBA version that sound like that, or maybe it´s just an OST version as the Hardware my not be able to produce whe entire sound correctly.

Either that, or it´s like NES where the Famicom is able to produce the Original sound.

But sadly i can´t find any information, and why this is a problem for me, is that i don´t know how it´s supposed to sound, i just want to have the original sound.

Sinthet

• A line of code a day keeps insanity away.
    • View Profile
    • I write stuff here, sometimes.
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2013, 12:35:04 am »
I believe a trip to your nearest non-chain owned gaming store, as well as a purchase of a SNES and zelda cartridge is now your best bet  :beer:

The closest you will get with an emulator is probably BSNES with the highest quality audio settings.

zerowalker

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2013, 08:01:03 am »
But the problem isn´t the emulator or the game itself, i just want to know if there is a difference between the Famicom vs SNES in terms of audio quality.
Cause i can´t see how an emulator today, can´t emulate nearly perfect audio on that old hardware.

But i guess i can try playing Link to the Past on BNES with both J-NTSC rom, and normal NTSC, to see if there is a difference in audio quality.

Will do that and say my results.

EDIT:

Okay tried, everything sounded the same.

PAL NTSC and J, only thing i can conclude from that is that the OST is some kind of "Master Sound" and the Rom didn´t get it cause the Hardware couldn´t produce it.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 08:25:11 am by zerowalker »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2013, 03:06:09 pm »
The S-DSP has only a sample rate of 32kHz, which is quite lower than the standard 44.1 kHz used by CD-players.

zerowalker

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2013, 03:24:48 pm »
True, and that probably messes it up alot, as the high frequency is gone, it´s probably why it´s more dull.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2013, 05:53:33 pm »
I know some game soundtracks were processed using equipment that failed to sound like the hardware. Like, the official Pokémon (gen1) soundtrack had reverb.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2013, 06:01:22 pm »
My biggest disapointment in that regard is Castlevania : Aria of Sorrow's OST which, while the tracks are really amazing, sounds like total crap. I know the GBA sounds pretty bad but here it seems they did they worst to convert it to the CD format.
Thanfully with GBAMusRiper it's not possible to listen to CV-AOS tracks with perfectly fine quality, even if it doesn't sound like the hardware at all :)

zerowalker

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2013, 08:47:38 am »
Oh, didn´t know that there was versions of OST from games that sounded, worse:(

But well, some stuff are probably thanks to the Loudness War, though the gaming market hasn´t been that hit by it yet.

What´s wrong with the Castlevania OST btw?
What makes it sound like crap?

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2013, 08:53:49 am »
I think it sounds bad because the terrible quality of the GBA sound which is 8-bit internally, then it is mixed into a 8-bit DAC (but it is not aligned to the 8-bits of the internal sound), and has a very low sample rate. The DAC is made by some PWM technique instead of being made with some actual analog conversion (flash/semi-flash converters, etc...) which isn't for the best.

My biggest disapointment was when I bought the Dragon Quest VIII OST only to figure out that it sounded all like MIDIs... while in the western game it was played with an actual orchestra (streamed music).

zerowalker

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2013, 08:56:41 am »
I see, well i think it´s just laziness, i mean.
How hard can it be to actually make it sound Better or Transparent to the original when you have all the tools and made the sound yourselves.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2013, 10:17:55 am »
But well, some stuff are probably thanks to the Loudness War, though the gaming market hasn´t been that hit by it yet.
Sure it has. People complained that Skyrim is so much quieter than the rest of their games... actually, it’s just got a huge dynamic range in comparison.

My biggest disapointment was when I bought the Dragon Quest VIII OST only to figure out that it sounded all like MIDIs... while in the western game it was played with an actual orchestra (streamed music).
Well, that sounds like you got the Japanese version....
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

zerowalker

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2013, 12:11:23 pm »
Well that´s very good:)!

I never understood the Loudness War debate, the only thing they have for it is, that everything is always high volume.

But they don´t care how it sound.

I mean, i don´t listen to music just because it´s loud so i don´t have to change volume or anything.

I want to here the drums, the voices and clarity in all it´s glory:)

PS:

In foobar when i change the GBA sound to Wave, it goes to high and i get clipping in some parts, is there a way to prevent this?

IamHetfield

« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2013, 03:43:21 am »
hey man, Im having a problem, the command result says that the file was not found. where am i supposed to place the gba file during this process?

June 30, 2013, 01:39:27 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Update By: Bregalad

GBAMusRiper is a brand new utility that allows you to rip music from many commercial GBA games into a combination of MIDI (.mid) and SoundFont (.sf2) formats.

Although a few rippers already exist, this is the most complete one as it allows you to replay music that sounds exactly like the original but without emulating the GBA.

RHDN Project Page

Relevant Link: (http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/881/)

I cant get it to work because the command result says that the system couldnt find the file. What do I do? Also, I'm trying to rip the DBZ buus fury music - does it use sappy?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 01:39:27 pm by IamHetfield »

JtPace

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2013, 02:00:05 pm »
Could you like edit the GBAMusRiper that converts to .dls (Downloadable Sounds)?
I want to try them out with my Midi files :)

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2013, 03:07:50 pm »
Sure, if you give me pointers to how the DLS format works and which free player support this format.

djnforce9

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2013, 09:08:38 am »
Hi,

Just joined because I wanted to ask a question related to what this utility does. First off, thanks for creating it! I am REALLY bothered by the poor sound quality the GBA produces making all music sound really muffled/fuzzy whereas this tool has allowed me to create high quality versions of most of my favourite tunes (often surfacing finer details that I never knew were there).

Anyway, my question is whether it is theoretically possible to make this into a music player or even somehow integrate it with the GSF format so that rather than emulating the GBA's (poor) sound hardware, the actual samples stored in the rom are simply used directly. Obviously this won't work for procedurally generated samples like in (in Golden Sun) but what about other games? It would be really neat if the process could be streamlined like that. Please pardon my ignorance of the GSF spec; I will understand if this idea is not possible but I thought I would present it.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2013, 02:46:01 pm »
Hello,

I myself know almost nothing about GSF either. But basically it's a GBA emulator, so that will emulate the "poor GBA's sound hardware" no mater what you do.

Also the primary reason for me to write this tool was to get sheet music of games easily, although now everyone including myself seem to use it for listening music in better quality. It's fun how it turned out.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 04:43:25 pm by Bregalad »

djnforce9

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2013, 01:04:29 pm »
Indeed and I'm really glad you wrote it! I found it while looking up why exactly GBA music was so fuzzy in the first place and if there was a way to filter it out somehow. That search led me to a page showcasing part of the Mother 3 soundtrack being run through it and a side by side comparison of how it sounds emulated and ripped. It was like night and day so I got the tool and went to town replacing any GBA songs I had with ones ripped using your tool. This solution works extremely well on all games that support it.

I would have LOVED to have seen this put into emulators (i.e. have the audio samples play back exactly as they are stored in the ROM image and no quality tampering to simulate GBA hardware limitations) but I don't know if that's even possible. I always thought low quality samples WERE in the ROM image itself but clearly not as this tool proves. Reminds me of how higher quality textures on Wii game discs than what the system can output.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2013, 04:41:01 pm »
Doing soft emulation of the sappy engine in an emulator should be perfectly possible, although definitely not simple.
Someone would need to reverse engineer the engine a bit further and look how the game passes messages to the sound engine, and intercept them, and passes them to an alternate sound engine based on MIDIs and SF2s. The problem is locating those message passing routines as they will have different adresses in each game and there is probably several version of them so looking at the binary might not be of much help.

However this sounds like a great idea, it'd fall into the "emulated game is improved over the original hardware" category. If some emu author feel tempted to do this I'd be happy to collaborate !

As for the quality of samples, they are stored in 8-bit, and the sample rate depends on the game. Even at high sample rate the quality decreases as bits are lost in the mixing process (or else you'd get buffer overflows). And most games uses low sample rates...
The main weakness of my system is that it emulates the PSG in a very lossy way, although the result sounds acceptable most of the time.

djnforce9

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2013, 09:28:22 am »
Thanks for the explanation. It sounds like the idea would be too difficult to implement and compatibility would not even be that high either.

One more question though. Once a game has been ripped to minigsf format, would it be easy to convert that into the midi/soundfont format?  It might help with some of those titles that couldn't be ripped directly from the rom itself (e.g. Pokemon Emerald). Not sure if everything needed it still in tact or not though.