News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Utilities: GBAMusRiper released  (Read 82696 times)

DreamSora100

• View Profile
Re: Utilities: GBAMusRiper released
« Reply #140 on: July 06, 2016, 07:15:35 pm »
I tried that. It didn't work

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 07, 2016, 03:41:27 pm »
Shouldn't the ROM be in the same folder as the program itself so you just have to use the ROM name instead of that long path?
It doesn't matter, normally the program calls to fopen() which supports both. It is possible that there is a mistake or a bug somewhere. But then I need a description of the bug not just some "IT DOESNT WORK".

DreamSora100

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 09, 2016, 12:35:07 pm »
https://youtu.be/iiyEm5MMLrk am i doing anything wrong?

Weario

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 29, 2016, 04:34:46 pm »
Hey, I've recently been using this tool and it is just amazing!

I've been using it to rip songs from Wario Land 4 and I have been replacing the instruments in the .sf2 file with higher quality ones.
Here's a comparisson:
Before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATuPu9472qA
After: https://clyp.it/301upkiy

However, I found out that some of the ripped midi files have some notes missing or misplaced. Crescent Moon Village and Toy Block Tower are two examples of that.
I've been trying to fix it myself in FL Studio, but that program seems to completely butcher the midi file and replace the instruments with completely different ones.
Is there anthing else you can recommend me to do to fix this issue? Or is this something that needs to be fixed in the tool itself?

October 04, 2016, 02:22:50 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Regarding my issue, I have some more information.
I've been manually repairing the music by splitting the channels of the midi files. It seems that it's always the 1st channel that is broken. And by broken, I mean it either misses notes, or the notes aren't the right pitch. Hope this is of any use. :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 02:22:50 pm by Weario »

bobrocks95

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2016, 11:54:45 pm »
Has anyone tried this with Donkey Kong Country 3?  It seems like it doesn't use sappy, but I'm not sure if I've 100% confirmed that or not.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2016, 06:08:55 am »
Has anyone tried this with Donkey Kong Country 3?  It seems like it doesn't use sappy, but I'm not sure if I've 100% confirmed that or not.
None of the Donkey Kong Country remakes use sappy.

bobrocks95

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 22, 2016, 08:04:03 pm »
None of the Donkey Kong Country remakes use sappy.

Ah, thanks for the info before I bashed my head against a wall for a couple hours trying to get it to work...  Maybe someday someone will have enough interest to rip those David Wise tunes, but it might depend on how many games Rare rolled their own sound engine for...

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 23, 2016, 01:45:02 am »
Ah, thanks for the info before I bashed my head against a wall for a couple hours trying to get it to work...  Maybe someday someone will have enough interest to rip those David Wise tunes, but it might depend on how many games Rare rolled their own sound engine for...
I am not 100% sure, but I believe the program VGMTrans can do a similar treatment to the SNES version of the Donkey Kong Country trilogy, whose music is infinitely superior to the GBA remakes.

bobrocks95

• View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 23, 2016, 02:24:13 pm »
I am not 100% sure, but I believe the program VGMTrans can do a similar treatment to the SNES version of the Donkey Kong Country trilogy, whose music is infinitely superior to the GBA remakes.

I agree with you completely for DKC and DKC2, but for the GBA version of DKC3, David Wise came in and wrote a completely new soundtrack after only composing about a quarter of DKC3's SNES soundtrack.  There are some great compositions lost underneath the GBA's crummy sound hardware.

wyatt8740

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 01, 2016, 06:01:13 pm »
I just tried using GBAMusRiper on Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Red again. There's still a couple bugs.

Using timidity to play the MIDI with the soundfont, the drums sound far too loud (they drown out the other sound).

If I use -rc, I still get drums a bit too loud, and this in my console in timidity:

Code: [Select]
Playing rom/song005.mid
MIDI file: rom/song005.mid
Format: 0  Tracks: 1  Divisions: 24
Drum set 127 is undefined
No instrument mapped to drum set 0, program 39 - this instrument will not be heard
No instrument mapped to drum set 0, program 54 - this instrument will not be heard
No instrument mapped to drum set 0, program 68 - this instrument will not be heard
No instrument mapped to drum set 0, program 70 - this instrument will not be heard
No instrument mapped to drum set 0, program 81 - this instrument will not be heard
(Converted by SequenceRipper 2.0)

song005.mid should sound something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNO1UiiGdxI

I don't even get a triangle channel, though.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 06:13:41 pm by wyatt8740 »

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 25, 2017, 12:19:59 pm »
Hey there!

I think I encountered a bug using the latest version:
I ripped the Mother 3 music adding 0x120e94 as described above. GBAMusRiper did successfully rip 1430 files from the ROM. Listening to them I couldn't find certain songs however.
Then I encountered another rip someone did with an earlier version of GBAMusRiper and this archive consists of 1624 files and does indeed contain the songs missing from the rip I did myself with v2.4.
(I was going to include a link to that older rip, but at the time of writing this the link seems down.)

There were some error messages during the extraction, but I don't remember the exact wording. They pass really quickly!

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 21, 2017, 03:47:26 pm »
I apologize for not answering earlier. The matter is - further improving GBAMusRiper is pretty low on my "to do" list right now, because I have many other things to do, ESPECIALLY in february where all my weekends were busy as ****. In March I'm going to get some free time, but I still do have more interesting matters to deal with. Basically I'm part of 2 music bands, learning 1 language, researching history for the 100th birthday of the great war, and also volunteering here and there frequently.

GBAMusRiper is completely free and open source, so anyone (including you) can look in its inner working and fix bugs. I know understanding someone else's code is incredibly hard, probably harder than writing one own's from scratch for some reason, but I'll gladly help if you have questions about GBAMusRiper's inner working. I'll also mention the existance of VGMTrans which is basically inspired by GBAMusRiper exept that it supports hundred of different sound engines from various games and platforms instead of being restricted to Sappy and GBA. The project is not complete (by definition it'll never be) but I suspect in the long term this program is going to absorb the integrity of GBAMusRiper and basically making it obsolete.

Gedankenschild

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 24, 2017, 09:03:52 pm »
No problem, my own project has been resting for some time and I had to reassure people via PM that it's not dead...  :-[

I have actually fooled around with VGMTrans quite a bit, mostly with SPC and PSF files. loveemu has indeed improved that program tremendously. I never tried it with GBA music files, mostly because GBAMusRiper does the job so well, especially exporting all songs at once and sorting music and SFX in their own folders.

The thing is that as far as I'm concerned GBAMusRiper doesn't even need that much improvement. The only major problem I see is the implementation of the new sappy engine searcher by loveemu. As you said above concerning Mother 3, something must have gone wrong there. I also found Minish Cap not to be working anymore with the latest version. Would it be much of a hassle to reinsert the old searcher?

loveemu

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 11, 2017, 10:01:01 am »
Dear Bregalad,

I've found a wrong value in the gameboy channel 3 lookup table.

Code: (sf2_chunks.hpp) [Select]
case GAMEBOY_CH3:
{
// Conversion lookup table
const int16_t conv_tbl[] =
{
-0x4000, -0x3800, -0x3000, -0x2800, -0x2000, -0x1800, -0x0100, -0x0800,
0x0000, 0x0800, 0x1000, 0x1800, 0x2000, 0x2800, 0x3000, 0x3800
};

Here conv_tbl[6] must be -0x1000, right?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 02:45:12 pm by loveemu »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 24, 2017, 02:34:14 pm »
Indeed.
By the way how are you progressing on VGMTrans ? Will it eventually support Squaresoft PS1 games properly ?
Regards.