News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Utilities: GBAMusRiper released  (Read 82732 times)

Bregalad

• View Profile
Re: Utilities: GBAMusRiper released
« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2015, 09:22:16 am »
No, and an edit to remove it is in the queue since 2 days.

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2015, 10:39:32 pm »
Hi, I had to reject that submission because our setup cannot grab those links by default. Please resubmit ASAP so we can get rid of those MIDIs.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

kikadu

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 17, 2015, 04:14:04 pm »
Hi Bregalad.
First of all, thanks for creating GBAMusRiper!

I have a question regarding the use of this application.
When I use addressing, sometimes the instruments sampling rate is higher.
Is there a way to specify the sampling rate at gba_mus_riper?

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 17, 2015, 05:51:59 pm »
Yes, but for some reason I did not include this in the root program "gba_mus_riper" because it's supposed to detect automatically the correct one and use it when calling "sound_font_riper".

You should use "sound_font_riper" directly, and use -s to set the sample rate you want to do. Now the easiest/simplest way to know which arguments you should use for sound_font_riper would be to recompile gba_mus_riper after uncommenting line 337, and see what is the command line command it uses internally, and change the -s argument.

Another (more proper) way would be to search for the address of the sound font manually in the ROM, using either the existing dump (with the wrong samplerate) or the sappy sound engine information I wrote as a basis.

Oh, and you are welcome :)

kikadu

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 18, 2015, 03:35:37 pm »
Yes, but for some reason I did not include this in the root program "gba_mus_riper" because it's supposed to detect automatically the correct one and use it when calling "sound_font_riper".

You should use "sound_font_riper" directly, and use -s to set the sample rate you want to do. Now the easiest/simplest way to know which arguments you should use for sound_font_riper would be to recompile gba_mus_riper after uncommenting line 337, and see what is the command line command it uses internally, and change the -s argument.

Another (more proper) way would be to search for the address of the sound font manually in the ROM, using either the existing dump (with the wrong samplerate) or the sappy sound engine information I wrote as a basis.

Oh, and you are welcome :)

Thank you for your explanation.
It works properly now.
I understand about "sound_font_riper".

StarWolf3000

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2015, 11:14:37 am »
I tried to get in company with the instrument "types" GBAMusRiper sets.

From what I've tested is the following definition:
Type 0 : Single-Sample Instrument
Types 1 to 11, except Type 8 : PSG/FM Synth (emulated using samples)
Type 8 : Single-Sample Instrument
Type 12 : PSG/FM White Noise (emulated using samples)
Type 64 : Multi-Sample Instrument
Type 128 : Multi-Sample Instrument, reserved for Drumkits not using MIDI Channel 10

Regarding the Camelot Games (Golden Sun and the like) I'm using the Synths from a small Soundfont called "Famicom.sf2". But to get a suitable Synth you cannot rely on just 1 of these Synths for each Instrument. I always use 2 of them together at one time for a single "formula" Synth of the games.

For the Main Theme/Title of GS2 for example, I mixed a Saw Wave and a 12.5% Square Wave on the main Synth and a 25% Square Wave on the background Synth. With disabled Interpolation and a Mixing Rate of 22050 Hz at 8-bit it gives an output similar to the original GBA, but without the heavy reverb effect on the drumkit.

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2015, 11:35:52 am »
1) Instrument types are already described or the sappy sound engine information doccument.

2) The latest release of GBAMusRiper supports Golden Sun instruments, although one of them* (the one that is the melody of the battle themes) is not accurately reproduced. However your way to reproduce it is not accurate either. It's a square wave whose duty cycle permanently changes. How exactly it changes is complicated and mysterious, and independent of the pitch, so reproducing that in .sf2 is impossible.

The closest I could get is to have a sample of constantly changing duty cycle square wave, but it depends on the pitch, i.e. the duty cycle changes slower for low notes, and faster for high notes. In the real soundtrack it does not acts like this. Perhaps there is ways to make it "sound close enough" using completely different methods.

*) There is 3 types of Golden Sun instruments, 2 of them are simple (saw wave and triangle wave) and are accurately simulated with .sf2 format. I should mention this on the next update of my document.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 27, 2015, 05:56:54 pm »
Hey, Mr. Bregalad

I have some questions regarding the tool: why can't the tool rip and edit music from the Classic NES Series for GBA, and Mother 1 from Mother 1+2? If it's because of a different sound engine, can you tell me which sound engine it is?

StarWolf3000

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 28, 2015, 10:46:14 am »
For the Classic NES Series it may because of them running inside a NES Emulator instead of "real" games for the GBA. That means, they actually don't use the MP2k/Sappy Engine, as the Emulator redirects calls of the NES Sound Hardware and prepares them for the GBA DAC and Synth/Noise/Wave Channels.
So you can't actually rip these soundtracks using GBAMusRiper, because the "technology" behind that is completely different.

You could rip them using dumps of the original NES/FDS games (requires some sort of a NSF ripping tool).

This also applies for Mother 1 of the Mother 1+2 cartridge, which originates on NES/Famicom, while Mother 2 was released on the SNES/Super Famicom.

John Enigma

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 13, 2015, 02:39:36 pm »
You could rip them using dumps of the original NES/FDS games (requires some sort of a NSF ripping tool).

This also applies for Mother 1 of the Mother 1+2 cartridge, which originates on NES/Famicom, while Mother 2 was released on the SNES/Super Famicom.
Let's say I want to improve the music of Mother 1 from Mother 1+2 , to make it sound like the original NES version of Mother 1. Isn't there some kind of progress on ripping the music from the GBA version, editing the music, converting it to some kind of format, and then inserting it back to the GBA cart?

Kurausukun

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2015, 07:46:52 pm »
Hello! I wanted to firstly thank you for releasing this awesome tool, and secondly, complain about a bug. I'm not sure which version it was, but using 2.3, I can't rip Mother 3--which is odd because I was definitely able to rip it in the past. Is there somewhere where I could download the old versions, or am I doing something wrong?

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 17, 2015, 12:17:05 pm »
This is definitely a bug on my side, because lovemu's tool mp2ktool, who'se code is re-used in the newest version of gbamusriper, is able to locate the song table at 0x120e94.

I do not have backups of old versions but they're not needed. Just add 0x120e94 as a command line argument when riping the ROM and it'll work.

Kurausukun

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 17, 2015, 05:42:44 pm »
Cool, thanks for the tip. Hopefully this will be patched in a newer version :P

DreamSora100

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 04, 2016, 05:31:27 pm »
Can someone help me out? It just gives me the options and that's it

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2016, 02:21:46 pm »
Please learn to use a command line and come back with a real question.

DreamSora100

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 05, 2016, 02:55:14 pm »

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 06, 2016, 03:59:15 pm »
It seem you have a problem using the command line because there is a space in your path. Anyway this is your problem - only if you have a bug within GBAMusRiper itself then it becomes my problem.

DreamSora100

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2016, 04:07:35 pm »
I never did say it was your problem. All I asked was for some help

July 06, 2016, 04:20:30 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Once again I only ask for help
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 05:42:34 pm by I.S.T. »

Avicalendriya

• View Profile
    • Avi Morgan dot com
« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2016, 05:16:20 pm »
You want help when you link to images like that?

This forum may want to reconsider the singup process considering how many garbage users have been registering and posting lately.

DreamSora100

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 06, 2016, 05:42:57 pm »
Well excuse me for being on a 📱I just want help! THAT'S ALL I ASK!  ASSISTANCE

July 06, 2016, 05:44:57 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
O my God. I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to do that

July 06, 2016, 05:47:01 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
This is what I meant to link https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2KKgWion9pRNDk3TFJmbWN0cjQ/view?usp=drivesdk