News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: A Possible Hack For Phantasy Star 3?  (Read 21701 times)

tryphon

• View Profile
Re: A Possible Hack For Phantasy Star 3?
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2013, 05:26:55 pm »
Thanks for this patch Typhon, comes in very handy. It does indeed move like the remakes, also makes for more enjoyable game play. Will play about with it some more. :D if you're interested you can try this: http://www.tortuga-cove.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=5672

Its my take on Wacky Adventures Of Rhys, to see who could complete it with the first gen party. I had first heard about this from Hugues's website & so I thought I'd try my hand at it. I've only just recently stumbled upon this website so i decided to add the Increased walking speed part.

Is it ok if I use your file, in my tutorial instead of Tony's edit? It would be alot easier for others to do. Also it solves the issue of getting stuck. I've noticed that Rhys walks alot smoother in Tony's hack, although youre's looks more natural i wonder why that is. :) Great work to all none the less.   

No problem if you use my patch, I made it to be used :)

I may want to polish it a little :
    - add diagonal moves for transformed Wren
    - making the fadeout/fadein between maps quickier, to prevent the impression of walking through houses when entering
    - make the team quick only when pressing button B (I made an attempt at this but it's a little tricky)

Why is Tony's hack smoother, I don't know. I didn't try it yet. Maybe because in my patch, not only the team speed was doubled, but each animation duration was halved, for synchronisation purposes. I didn't watched at what Tony exactly changed in his patch.

gliitch

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2013, 06:10:06 pm »
No problem if you use my patch, I made it to be used :)

I may want to polish it a little :
    - add diagonal moves for transformed Wren
    - making the fadeout/fadein between maps quickier, to prevent the impression of walking through houses when entering
    - make the team quick only when pressing button B (I made an attempt at this but it's a little tricky)

Why is Tony's hack smoother, I don't know. I didn't try it yet. Maybe because in my patch, not only the team speed was doubled, but each animation duration was halved, for synchronisation purposes. I didn't watched at what Tony exactly changed in his patch.

Yeah sure, i can wait until you've corrected the offsets so its how you want it to be. I think that having the speed on permanently is probably a better idea rather than having to hold down B, as that be less painful to play as opposed to how slow it normally is. Its a shame they didn't add add these options for the Playstation 3 version of the game. Only PS2.

What Tony did is documented in the previous pages as well as on my link too. :)

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2013, 06:29:21 pm »
Don't wait, because I don't know when I'll do that, if I ever do :)

I have several projects ongoing, some PS-related :

- I finalize the hack and the translation of Phantasy Star Generations 2

- I help Hugues to edit some new things with Aridia (I think it will be possible to edit virtually all graphics and maps in the game, maybe someone will at last be able to fix all the multiple flaws in the game)

- I code my own Phantasy Star engine, with two projects in mind : a pixel-perfect port of Phantasy Star Generations 2 and a remake of Phantasy Star 3.

And aside all of that, I work on the hack of PSP Princess Crown and Genesis Psy-O-Blade  :crazy:

All of that with virtually no free time.

gliitch

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2013, 07:28:57 pm »
Don't wait, because I don't know when I'll do that, if I ever do :)

I have several projects ongoing, some PS-related :

- I finalize the hack and the translation of Phantasy Star Generations 2

- I help Hugues to edit some new things with Aridia (I think it will be possible to edit virtually all graphics and maps in the game, maybe someone will at last be able to fix all the multiple flaws in the game)

- I code my own Phantasy Star engine, with two projects in mind : a pixel-perfect port of Phantasy Star Generations 2 and a remake of Phantasy Star 3.

And aside all of that, I work on the hack of PSP Princess Crown and Genesis Psy-O-Blade  :crazy:

All of that with virtually no free time.

Oh wow, that's really awesome. I've always wanted to have an updated version of Phantasy Star III to play - just like the revamped versions of Generations One & Two. In my spare time I work on Playstation 3 related stuff, writing tutorials, finding glitches, loopholes too. Written quite alot over the years, and found a lot of information too.

I wonder if anyone here would be able to hex edit the Playstation 3 version of Phanatasy Star III. I think that its just a standard ROM port, as it would be nice to add your walking speed hack to it, also the Event Hacks/Item Hacks too.

Ok i won't wait I'll update it right now. Thanks :)   *EDIT* Updated post. :D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 07:39:06 pm by gliitch »

Klaviaturist

• View Profile
    • Midnight Sunrise Band
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2013, 07:39:29 pm »
For the original question, I've just made a patch that doubles the speed and allows diagonal movements. Available from here (second post).

I've played the half of the first generation with no problem.

Sounds great. I will check that out.
Just a guy that likes horror flicks.

Tony H

• View Profile
    • The Code Hut
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2013, 09:13:54 pm »
Tony, if you would be so kind as to tell me the offset in which sets "No enemies attack" & "No MP/HP lost to enemy attacks" are?
Thanks.

gliitch, if you go to this page, you'll find all the offsets you're asking about: http://gamehacking.org/?game=15663

To see the offsets, just click on the down arrow that says "Expand Code Box".

The Code Hut: http://codehut.gshi.org/

Game Genie codes and ROM hacking guides

gliitch

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2013, 03:49:11 am »
gliitch, if you go to this page, you'll find all the offsets you're asking about: http://gamehacking.org/?game=15663

To see the offsets, just click on the down arrow that says "Expand Code Box".

Ahh, perfect,  thank you no need to put the code in any more. :D Just what I was looking for.

hugues

• View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2013, 11:55:18 pm »
Yes, thanks again! I'm hoping to make some progress at adding this to Aridia soon, it will probably take a little while but I'm optimistic that it will support editing all the maps and compressed graphics when all is said and done.

Somewhat related to this - one of the flaws in the game is the missing dungeons connecting some of the domes (like all the ones to/from Terminus for example). Unfortunately I think it's unlikely any unfinished data for them exists in the ROM. I'm basing this on treasure chest data. There are only 1-2 treasure chests that don't map to any dungeon and they contain items from early in the game like monomate. I won't rule out that they started these maps and never assigned any treasure chests to them though.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2013, 05:03:28 am »
I have dumped all the maps in the game, I can't say if they are all used (I don't know the game well enough for that).

But even if they aren't in the game, I'm pretty sure I'm able to add one or several new map(s) in the game, with connexions to others. More, I'm pretty sure they can use tiles from the game, or custom tiles.

It would be great to redesign Terminus completely  :P

gliitch

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2013, 05:29:51 pm »
Hugues, is it possible to edit Rhys so he can go to level 85? Just like Wren & Mieu?  :)..Or perhaps even more.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 06:40:20 pm by gliitch »

hugues

• View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2013, 02:17:49 pm »
Hugues, is it possible to edit Rhys so he can go to level 85? Just like Wren & Mieu?  :)..Or perhaps even more.
In Phantasy Star III each character* has a level table that lists the XP required for each level gain. Rhys is capped at 40 entries making his maximum level 41. There are two ways I can think of to change that:

1) Expand his level table and adjust the pointers for all the other characters tables' to account for the new data offsets since his is first. The problem with this approach is that there's no empty space immediately after the level tables so there would be more things to repoint. It would be messy but not impossible.

2) Repoint him to a table with more entries. This would also change his statistic growth. So if he shared a table with Wren then he could go up to level 85. Expanding that would introduce the challenges previously noted.

(* - Mieu and Gwyn share a level table for some reason)

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2013, 04:07:54 pm »
If the pointer to the table is stored as a long, you may create a new table in some empty space (add it to the end of the rom) and modify the pointer accordingly.

You may have then to modify the rom header (there's a 'Last Address in ROM' somewhere, most of the time ignored by emulators, and a checksum ; my patch delete the checksum detection).

hugues

• View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2013, 08:14:51 pm »
That's a good suggestion. There is a ton of empty space in the Phantasy Star III ROM, expansion shouldn't be necessary for something small.

gliitch

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2013, 08:21:50 am »
In Phantasy Star III each character* has a level table that lists the XP required for each level gain. Rhys is capped at 40 entries making his maximum level 41. There are two ways I can think of to change that:

1) Expand his level table and adjust the pointers for all the other characters tables' to account for the new data offsets since his is first. The problem with this approach is that there's no empty space immediately after the level tables so there would be more things to repoint. It would be messy but not impossible.

2) Repoint him to a table with more entries. This would also change his statistic growth. So if he shared a table with Wren then he could go up to level 85. Expanding that would introduce the challenges previously noted.

(* - Mieu and Gwyn share a level table for some reason)

Could I use Arida to repoint Rhys's level? Would that mean I would have to change his type to Wren's or would that only effect what weapons he can use? I found that if you change any characters hold item range, when you've used all their items up, it will take the next in line's items as their own. ie: Rhys will end up "stealing" Meiu's Claws for example. Then the game will crash.

I read your earlier post about hex editing the correct values, then that fixed it. :) I'm getting a Retrode II for Christmas - it allows read & write functions of save files to the original carts (god send).

What i was wondering is, do you know how saves are maintained in the SRM file itself? is there a way to edit them once they are in the battery save? 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 06:16:43 pm by gliitch »

hugues

• View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2013, 07:12:20 pm »
Could I use Arida to repoint Rhys's level? Would that mean I would have to change his type to Wren's or would that only effect what weapons he can use?
That only changes what weapons he can use (which you can also accomplish by editing the weapons in Aridia). I have not implemented a feature to change the level tables for characters simply because it never occurred to me to do that. I guess I figured no one would ever want to level up Rhys that high :)

I found that if you change any characters hold item range, when you've used all their items up, it will take the next in line's items as their own. ie: Rhys will end up "stealing" Meiu's Claws for example. Then the game will crash.
You mean in the RAM? Yes because between Rhys' inventory and Mieu's is the item count for Mieu. That value wouldn't map to a valid item code. I have some documentation about editing items here -  http://ps3.huguesjohnson.com/hacking.html#Inventory

What i was wondering is, do you know how saves are maintained in the SRM file itself? is there a way to edit them once they are in the battery save?
Sorry but I do not. It would take a decent amount of hacking to make the game use them if there was room there (i.e. changing all the save/load menus and the routine to test if the save data is good).

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2013, 02:11:13 am »
That's a good suggestion. There is a ton of empty space in the Phantasy Star III ROM, expansion shouldn't be necessary for something small.

Are you sure this empty space is REALLY empty ? Experience showed that it's safer to add some space (it's quite easy with the Genesis) rather than using what seem to be dummy data.

gliitch

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2013, 08:27:42 am »
That only changes what weapons he can use (which you can also accomplish by editing the weapons in Aridia). I have not implemented a feature to change the level tables for characters simply because it never occurred to me to do that. I guess I figured no one would ever want to level up Rhys that high :)
You mean in the RAM? Yes because between Rhys' inventory and Mieu's is the item count for Mieu. That value wouldn't map to a valid item code. I have some documentation about editing items here -  http://ps3.huguesjohnson.com/hacking.html#Inventory
Sorry but I do not. It would take a decent amount of hacking to make the game use them if there was room there (i.e. changing all the save/load menus and the routine to test if the save data is good).

I thought as much, changing the Type to Wren would make sense that Rhys could then use Wren's weapons.Ahh! I get it now, just all suddenly made sense! So one set lets you change what weapons can be equipped(Type on the left), the other is what type of Magic he can use (Tech Power), if any. (I have edited Rhys's type to able to use magic with no ill effects.)

As for Item count I have mostly likely overshot it, because people can only carry a certain amount of items - i think you said it was about 15, so anything higher would result in some odd stuff happening, unless it was hacked properly.

The best idea I've come up with in regards to SRM (hacking) more of a loop hole really, is to State Save then hack that save. Go to an Inn so the game will save it as SRM, then choose another slot and do the same. Because for some odd reason, when you hack your save state then save it into RAM it thinks all your edits are true so it keeps them stored. Pretty neat I thought.  ::)

hugues

• View Profile
    • My homepage
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2013, 06:32:26 pm »
Are you sure this empty space is REALLY empty ? Experience showed that it's safer to add some space (it's quite easy with the Genesis) rather than using what seem to be dummy data.
Not 100% sure but there are many blocks that are all FF and a couple smaller ones that are 00. I can't imagine what value the all FF data would have. At some point I'll turn this half-finished, slightly out of date ROM map into a real document: http://ps3.huguesjohnson.com/hacking-rom.html#RomMap - it shows where there is possibly dead space in the ROM.