News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Koopa Kingdom Escape (New Demo 12/27/2014)  (Read 57863 times)

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: Project Mario Adventure 3
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2012, 06:51:41 am »
Agreed. That's not such a bad thing at all. You should be able to recreate everything in a relatively short time.

DahrkDaiz

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2012, 09:18:12 am »
I'm probably not going to recreate the levels as they were. I solved many problems I had faced before, so I should be able to design levels in the original vision I had when I started the project. I also reduced the number of tools I was using from 5 to 2 (NESASM and Reuben).  And everything about the game is stored outside of the rom complete since Rebuen keeps everything except for the source separated from the rom.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2012, 11:38:10 am »
Cool beans. Rebuen was a great project in and of itself. Glad to see it getting some serious use.

fellowroot

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2012, 10:30:48 pm »
I have a request.

Can you allow Mario to be able to throw/kick blocks vertically upwards just like in Super Mario World?

Thanks, and you hack looks freaking awesome.

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2012, 11:00:16 pm »
Only bad from the perspective of having to redo all that work ;*)

Actually, it's great news Rueben's been resurrected. 

DahrkDaiz

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2012, 12:11:22 am »
Only bad from the perspective of having to redo all that work ;*)

It actually hasn't been so bad at all. I only recreated 1 level and I've completed 4 levels in 2 days. Doing levels is MUCH faster than it used to be and now I have a LOT more flexibility than before!

RetroHelix

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2012, 04:37:06 am »
What your doing there is just awesome. Keep it up.

LooneyDude

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2012, 03:39:19 pm »
I'd make mine in Reuben, but I don't know how to use it.
If you own any prototype versions of Super Mario 64...
GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!

LooneyDude

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2012, 03:55:58 pm »
I just don't know how to insert the levels.
If you own any prototype versions of Super Mario 64...
GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!

DahrkDaiz

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2013, 10:26:00 pm »
The hack is still going strong...

A few of the changes so far:

New enemy types:
-Beached Cheep Cheep
-Koopa Kids will attack with powers related to Mario's own power ups (see Ice fired by Larry)

I said fuck it and ramped up the difficulty. The game was getting boring to create for so I decided to hell with people who will whine, I want this game to be harder than typical Nintendo fare.

The game now revolves around open hubs: Worlds are completely open, play any level at any time. Howver, worlds are initially inaccessible. There is a "hub" stage that has 8 pipes, but in order to reach each pipe, you must use a power up that gives you the ability to reach it, such as flying, swimming for long periods or building ice bridges.

You must play levels in your initial World (World 0) and collect stars. World 0 lacks all power ups. Once you collect enough Stars you can access the boss hub. Defeat a boss here and you'll immediately unlock a new power up. Go to the world transition level and use the new power up to gain access to a new world. The new world will test your skill to use whatever power up you used to access it. Once you collect enough stars in that world and defeat its boss, you'll get to go back to the Boss hub and defeat another boss.

Once you gain all 8 power ups, you can use them in conjunction to fully get out of World 0 and go to the next part of the game...

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2013, 11:40:38 pm »
Cool little monochrome world.
The night stage brings up the question: day and night cycle?  -or not this hack ;*)

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2013, 12:39:32 am »
The first game was several orders harder than "typical Nintendo fare", so I doubt very many people will be complaining at all.

Screens look gorgeous as usual, keep it up.

Mirby

• The Power's in the Pins
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2013, 01:19:01 am »
This update pleases me greatly. Quite intrigued by that hub world idea. :D

DahrkDaiz

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2013, 06:32:20 am »
Cool little monochrome world.
The night stage brings up the question: day and night cycle?  -or not this hack ;*)

Day and night cycling is in this hack! And it happens in real time now, rather during stage transitions.

Superjustinbros

• View Profile
    • Super Justin: the Blog
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2013, 02:05:05 pm »
If you're going to have the Bullet Bills that emerge from the edge of the screen, please put in the Bullet Fire sound effect. It somewhat makes it easier and less cryptic to know when an oncoming Bullet Bill is present.

I know you said you no longer care about the difficulty, but please make sure it's real difficulty (in that the deaths/damages are from player error and carelessness) that's in the game rather than fake difficulty, which Mario Adventure 1 featured quite a lot of.

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2013, 10:36:14 pm »
Speaking of 1 and 3, where is part 2 is?  I don't see it anywhere.
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2013, 12:25:27 am »
Speaking of 1 and 3, where is part 2 is?  I don't see it anywhere.
As per the OP, it was unfinished.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=2427.0

that's in the game rather than fake difficulty, which Mario Adventure 1 featured quite a lot of.
I tend to agree.  I got bored of the absurd combinations of Boom-Booms rather quickly.  ("Use the powerups!" is the answer, of course, but I could never manage to hang on to them for long enough to appreciate them.)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 12:37:01 am by Jorpho »
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2013, 01:49:45 pm »
When he did finish this hack, he will go back to work Mario vs Luigi?
Are you huge fan of Megaman Xtreme 2?   Then check this progress of Remastered version!

DahrkDaiz

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2013, 06:40:59 am »
If you're going to have the Bullet Bills that emerge from the edge of the screen, please put in the Bullet Fire sound effect. It somewhat makes it easier and less cryptic to know when an oncoming Bullet Bill is present.

I know you said you no longer care about the difficulty, but please make sure it's real difficulty (in that the deaths/damages are from player error and carelessness) that's in the game rather than fake difficulty, which Mario Adventure 1 featured quite a lot of.

Owch, it's hard to hear criticism about your work, but I do agree, Mario Adventure 1 had a tendency to be difficult due to the game, not the player. I hope that my level design has vastly improved. I used to increase difficulty by increase the "chance" and "magnitude" factor. Random enemies and more enemies. There is none of that this time. Here's an example:

In this situation, you have 2 Koopas moving up/down and one moving left/right. If you fail one of your jumps, the bottom is solid, allowing you to climb back to the top and retry this specific area. It can be difficult, but any mistake here is due to your own timing.

There are several situations that may "surprise" a player but only on the first time the come across it. For example: a Cheep Cheep jumps from puddle to puddle. Then you come across a situation where there's only one puddle and the Cheep Cheep jumps out of it and starts to bounce on the floor. That may surprise the player the first time, but it's predictable and you can return to the area with new knowledge. Later on in the level you see the same scenario with slightly different parameters/level layouts. Granted, there won't be lives in this like in the last game, but dying will reduce EXP, so I'll have to be careful not to set up situations that cause people to die over and over again.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback about my old projects. I really do strive to learn from my past mistakes, and others', in order to bring a satisfying game to all SMB3 lovers. I do want to throw some "stupid hard" levels in the game, but, this will be something the expert players have to seek out, not something you're forced into.

When he did finish this hack, he will go back to work Mario vs Luigi?

I will not. Mario vs Luigi's data is long gone and picking the project back up would be near impossible for me.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 06:49:51 am by DahrkDaiz »

bradzx

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2013, 01:51:38 pm »
Aw bummer.  At least you release demo.