News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Koopa Kingdom Escape (New Demo 12/27/2014)  (Read 57818 times)

DahrkDaiz

• View Profile
Re: Project Mario Adventure 3
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2012, 10:04:31 pm »

The start of the "Challenge" levels begins. Challenge levels are special levels with strange rules in order to complete, inspired by the original "Desert Dares" in Mario Adventure, these levels are meant to be oddities and somewhat short. They aren't required, but if you complete them, you get a lot of rewards.

So for this first one, you play SMB's 1-1 with an extended ending. The catch? The right button is constantly held down. Left doesn't work at all. It's these kinds of "bizarre rules" I'll use for these kinds of levels, just to have fun.

LooneyDude

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2012, 05:17:57 pm »
Do you want the graphics for this game to be styled like this?:
If you own any prototype versions of Super Mario 64...
GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!

DahrkDaiz

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 09:52:50 am »
I really just need the sprites to be redone. So the style of the Goomba looks excellent :)

Fire and Ice Bros.

Mario in his frozen state

When hit by an iceball, Mario will be pushed back and frozen. He has to press A several times to come out of it. During his frozen state he CAN get hurt! If he's get with another ice ball by frozen, his "unfreeze" counter is reset and he has to press jump even more.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 12:14:50 pm by DahrkDaiz »

moonmaster1

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2012, 12:31:16 pm »
This project has the potential to blow NSMB2 out of the water.

I'm very impressed, I can't wait to see more.  ;D

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2012, 02:45:51 pm »
Silly question, but does getting hit by a fireball instantly max out the 'unfreeze' counter?

Miksy91

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 04:41:37 am »
I rarely play mario hacks but this should be fun so I may make an exception with it.
Are you planning there to be more suits than the ones introduced this far? I wouldn't recommend adding many anymore unless they're easy to control without experience.
Pokemon Dark Energy is a rom hack based on Pokemon Silver. Like most pokemon hacks, it retains the pokemon stylish gameplay but has plenty of elements from other RPGs as well. You'd better check it out!

DahrkDaiz

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 07:25:47 am »
Silly question, but does getting hit by a fireball instantly max out the 'unfreeze' counter?

No, fireballs will harm Mario in a frozen state.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vjxKOdhOHM

The start of World 2

DahrkDaiz

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2012, 03:34:17 pm »
So I decided to start a development blog for this project. http://marioadventure3.tumblr.com

RetroRain

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2012, 03:55:04 pm »
I know what you mean by the high wearing off.  It has actually happened to me lately with my Zelda project.  I tend to lose interest very quickly.  One of the the things to try to do, is get away from the computer, go outside, get some fresh air, and visualize a video of awesome gameplay.  In other words, if you were going to make a video for people to see, literally visualize how it is to play out, without having made it yet.

I find that visualization can be a very powerful tool and motivator to continue on the project.  And yes you are right, that is why so many projects die young.  People lose interest, motivation, and it can be very depressing.  The trick is to visualize as best as you can.  Pretend how it should be, and then when you are satisfied with that visualization, attemp to tackled it for real.

I hope that helps any.  But yeah, if you are open to ideas for your project, I'll post them, if that'll help.  But I know how liberating it can be to come up with your own stuff.  But sometimes ideas from others can be helpful too.  We are all imaginators, and we can help inspire and motivate others.

Now that I think of it, one of the things I saw in southbird's hack that I really liked, was that he implemented Wart, which is probably one of my favorite Mario villians.  Maybe you can add some SMB2 stuff in there.

- Add a door that puts you in a dream state, and certain things are there while you are in the dream state, when the timer is up, you come out of the dream state (taken right from SMB2).

- I wouldn't mind seeing SMB World 1-2 in your hack.  I love that underground level.  So nostalgic.

- Add some Zelda elements in your hack.  If I recall, JaSp had some Zelda-ish stuff in his hack, or I could be thinking about Infidelity's MM Ultra (it had the Zelda II Temple in it).

Mix and match.  Remix and new things will pop up.

I hope this posts helps in any way.  Have fun! :)

WeebeeGeebee

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 04:20:29 am »
This looks ridiculously awesome... so many crazy new abilities.
I wonder... any way to throw in a "Bullet Bill" power up? Like...
Mario would turn into a Bullet Bill for a short time and be able
to just zoom around killing stuff kinda like the "Missile"
ability from Kirby & The Amazing Mirror on the GBA.

Oh, and if moar elements from SMB2 could be brought in...
Every time I see those plants on the ground I always
think "Man, I wish I could actually pick those up."
That's probably asking a lot though.

Oh and what's this about a Mouser Suit?
Like... Mario turns into the Mouser sprite
from SMB2 and can throw Bob-Ombs?
Duuuuuuude... megusta so hard.

Also the Bunny Ears power up from Super Mario Land...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 04:28:39 am by WeebeeGeebee »

Zoinkity

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2012, 09:34:32 am »
Did you ever concider Nija Mario being able to run behind the background?  That would be a neat way to bypass barriers.

Mirby

• The Power's in the Pins
    • View Profile
    • Mirby Studios
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2012, 07:52:16 am »
I'm rather excited for this one; it looks very well done and I eagerly await the next update.  :thumbsup:

DahrkDaiz

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2012, 09:26:28 am »
This looks ridiculously awesome... so many crazy new abilities.
I wonder... any way to throw in a "Bullet Bill" power up? Like...
Mario would turn into a Bullet Bill for a short time and be able
to just zoom around killing stuff kinda like the "Missile"
ability from Kirby & The Amazing Mirror on the GBA.

See the Fire Fox Mario "dash". Pretty similar idea.

Oh, and if moar elements from SMB2 could be brought in...
Every time I see those plants on the ground I always
think "Man, I wish I could actually pick those up."
That's probably asking a lot though.

Patience my child, you'll see SMB2 stuff coming soon enough 8)

Oh and what's this about a Mouser Suit?
Like... Mario turns into the Mouser sprite
from SMB2 and can throw Bob-Ombs?
Duuuuuuude... megusta so hard.

Also the Bunny Ears power up from Super Mario Land...

The Mouser suit was Luigi vs Mario (Mario Adventure 2), it won't happen in this hack. I've also exhausted all power ups I care to put into t he hack (Fire, Ice, Raccoon, Fox, Frog, Koopa, Boo, Sledge, Ninja, that's 3 more power ups than the original SMB3, I think 9's plenty lol)

Although, there will be items that can be bought and used on the map screen to provide other effects.

Did you ever concider Nija Mario being able to run behind the background?  That would be a neat way to bypass barriers.

I thought about having enemies not attack Ninja Mario at night, being in the shadows and all. I believe this would break the power up and make him way too powerful.

And just in case anybody's missed my blog updates:

LooneyDude

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2012, 11:22:59 am »
DahrkDaiz, I'm in need of a little help. Is there any way I can change the silence on SMB3's title screen to a song in the game like you did? If you can help me, I'll be very thankful.
If you own any prototype versions of Super Mario 64...
GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!

DahrkDaiz

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2012, 11:34:06 am »
Honestly, I can't give an easy button. I haven't touched the original rom in so long that the addresses for my project are vastly different from the addresses of a standard SMB3 hack. I modified the disassembled source to get my affect.

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2012, 05:41:58 pm »
Something just doesn't look right with those conifers. They don't look like conifers that would appear in a Mario game to me. In the Wii Mario game the conifers resemble in shape mushroom caps that are stacked on top of each other.

Here is a quick edit to maybe inspire you with alternative shapes that could form a conifer. The tiles I used are on the upper left corner.

DahrkDaiz

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2012, 06:49:15 pm »
Something just doesn't look right with those conifers. They don't look like conifers that would appear in a Mario game to me. In the Wii Mario game the conifers resemble in shape mushroom caps that are stacked on top of each other.

Here is a quick edit to maybe inspire you with alternative shapes that could form a conifer. The tiles I used are on the upper left corner.

Please see the same game you refer to:

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2012, 08:25:57 pm »
I knew there was a snow level with conifers, just couldn't find pics of it with my lazy search  :thumbsup:. I like the stacked flower look as well, plus they look closer to the triangular design you have (So maybe easier for you to copy if you choose to emulate that Mario look). Still your conifers are good trees they are just missing that cartoony element.... Maybe a black outline on the snow and/or branches would tie them in with the other graphics in the game.

Edit: I noticed you used a black outline on the ones on the The start of World 2 screen. Those ones seem to fit better with the graphics around them.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 03:22:10 pm by Tater Bear »

DahrkDaiz

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2012, 10:17:49 pm »
So I have some sad news guys. I had to scrap all of my levels :( It's because I resurrected the Reuben project and made it work for my hack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WolBzFcMBq4

Pretty much enabling me virtual freedom to do whatever I want to the game at this point.

Tater Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2012, 11:19:42 pm »
  ;) Not sure why it is bad news... Sounds like you can do more with the new engine  :thumbsup:.