News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Vantage Master Japan [Falcom]  (Read 4700 times)

Kil

• View Profile
Vantage Master Japan [Falcom]
« on: July 06, 2012, 01:52:45 pm »

VMJ (+ expansion pack) is an extremely difficult PC strategy game released by Falcom in 2002.

I've found most of the text in the game and mostly finished the tools to decompress/reinsert data files as you can see. I actually had to implement a fully functional script decompiler/recompiler/editor due to the annoying nature of the scripting engine. The executable hasn't required hacking (yet) since the engine fully supports half width ascii characters already.

My only regret is that, except for roughly 10 random fans, no one knows of or gives a damn about this game.  :laugh:

Script translation: 30/772
Menus, items, map descriptions: Working on this now

Xalphenos

• View Profile
Re: Vantage Master Japan [Falcom]
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 02:18:04 pm »
I actually expressed my interest in this over on the ALoYs forums.  But its good to see a thread for it over here.  As long as you are doing this project because you want to i guess it really doesn't matter that only 10 of us will play it.  Anyway keep up the good work.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 07:26:14 pm »
If Falcom's involved, it can't be that bad. Got any videos to show off yet?

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Kil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 01:30:42 am »
I will upload some videos once I finish up with the menus. This game isn't much to look at to be honest. It doesn't use DirectX or any graphics library. I assume it just uses windows GDI, but I haven't delved too deep into those routines.

What makes this game is the enemy AI, which really understands how to play, and will challenge the hell out of you. Not challenge like "you have to grind to level 4000 to beat the golden prinny" but rather "really think hard and make the right decisions based on your character and the situation or the AI will punish you". Also MOST of the music is great.

Pennywise

• I'm curious
    • View Profile
    • Yojimbo's Translations
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 05:43:31 pm »
Well, I bet the ungrateful, no good, leaching warez f**** would play the game. After all anything that has Falcom and free on it is sure to bring them along.

Kidding aside, I posted at ALoY as well. I'm waiting to unseal my copy of the game.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 06:22:30 pm »
Well, I bet the ungrateful, no good, leaching warez f**** would play the game. After all anything that has Falcom and free on it is sure to bring them along.

Kidding aside, I posted at ALoY as well. I'm waiting to unseal my copy of the game.
I hope that you were actually joking. Sounded like Nightwolve there for a minute. XD

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Kil

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 08:07:17 pm »
Yeah... I kind of wish the security in this game was a bit better. I don't think there is any, actually. There's a CD check, but you could just mount an ISO or burn your own CD...

Current status: 80% done with "generic data manager" thing I've been working on, which will allow me to edit and automagically rebuild/repoint random data/pointers in any type of file I can think of. When that's done I can translate all of the miscellaneous strings in every nook and cranny of this game.