So I did a little more work on this today!
. I was playing around with this little sucker today when I realized something:
It's actually a pretty useful tool for a romhacker.
Check it out. You can import an image and PyxelEdit can automatically 1. break it down into tiles and 2. generate a corresponding tilemap. And you can export both.
Once the applications of this finally clicked, I wasted no time whipping together a Python script for converting the exported XML tilemap into a SNES-compatible binary file, and then I finally
got off my ass and put together a compressor. It's not perfect - there's still something I don't quite
understand about how and when it chooses to use the XOR function - but it's good enough to actually get
my logo into the game. And all the while, I've saved a hell of a lot of tedium with the help of PyxelEdit! 8D
August 06, 2012, 07:08:48 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
1. Scrollback is - should be - working 100% now. The only wrinkle is that Japanese text in scrollback shows up as cavespeak now, but that won't matter in the finished product.
2. As an added bonus, I swapped the controls around for the scrollback. Originally, though the text is still read left-to-right, top-to-bottom like in English, the R button scrolled backwards
through the text while the L button scrolled forwards.
Amazingly, switching this so that L scrolls back and R scrolls forward involved changing 2 LDA directives - that's 6 bytes total, for those keeping score at home.
The scrollback code is now an ungodly rat's nest of tweaks and modifications, but it works without breaking the game or displaying garbage now. Good times!
Just three things left now, to my knowledge:
1. Fixing the name entry screen (and, hopefully, expanding it so you can enter first and last names)
2. Translating the ending credits.
3. Translating a screen I didn't realize was even in there originally - the "Cast of Characters" list, which fills out as you meet everyone. The same one, in fact, listed here
. (Thanks, BRPXQZME!)
I also plan to get a dedicated editor of some kind up and running. This script is even more of a cat's-cradle than I thought at first. >_>