News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Research on Video Games Localization/Translation - Dissertation Questionnaire  (Read 4084 times)

tagengo

• AYBABTU!
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

I am a post-graduate at the University of Sheffield in the UK and am conducting research on localization/Translation of video games; particularly surrounding the technical, linguistic and cultural issues that are raised among fans.

As many people involved the type of work done are all around the world, I have created an online questionnaire to collect as many people's experiences and opinions as possible over the next 6-8 weeks (as I have to begin writing up the results in August!). 
Participants do not have to be active or highly-experienced in this area, all opinions are welcome!

The questionnaire can be found at
https://docs.google.com/a/sheffield.ac.uk/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDRIbGx2aE9hZnhQM2FfcXF4VzcwdlE6MQ

If you have a little free time and fill out the questionnaire, it would be greatly appreciated. Also if you could pass this on to others who may be interested too (they do not need to be users of this forum either).
The questionnaire is anonymous, and every step has been taken to ensure answers are kept confidential (more details are given at the start of the questionnaire).

If anyone would like to comment or ask questions on this research, please feel free to get in touch.

Many thanks!
<<NOTE: I'm conducting research on video game translations - I might use some answers (anonymously) in my research, so please only answer my posts if this is OK. More information can be found at https://docs.google.com/a/sheffield.ac.uk/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDRIbGx2aE9hZnhQM2Ff

shadowmanwkp

• View Profile
Interesting poll. It was a bit flat in my opinion, because it didn't really delve too deep into the subject, but we don't really know what you will do with the results either, so it might serve you well.

Anyways, I did have a little gripe with the questionnaire, question 15.2 asks for your ability in certain languages, it could be me, but I couldn't change the languages that were displayed (it kept saying language 1-5). You might have wanted to have add a comments field as well, just for this kind of case. Not really too major, because you could just tell it at the previous question, but it might be a good idea to make a comment field in the future just for these small things that you might overlook.

tagengo

• AYBABTU!
    • View Profile
Interesting poll. It was a bit flat in my opinion, because it didn't really delve too deep into the subject, but we don't really know what you will do with the results either, so it might serve you well.

Anyways, I did have a little gripe with the questionnaire, question 15.2 asks for your ability in certain languages, it could be me, but I couldn't change the languages that were displayed (it kept saying language 1-5). You might have wanted to have add a comments field as well, just for this kind of case. Not really too major, because you could just tell it at the previous question, but it might be a good idea to make a comment field in the future just for these small things that you might overlook.

Hi Shadowmanwkp,

Thanks for completing the questionnaire!

It's been shown that many participants get bored/put off by very long questionnaires, so I wanted to put some limit on the number of questions, while at the same time not narrow down the topic too much.. which I guess could be why you found it a little flat.  I am hoping to contact willing respondents with some more in-depth follow up questions over the coming weeks.

Duly noted re: Q 15.2. The specific languages people spoke (other than native-language) were not essential to know at this stage... though again, more info may be sought at the follow-up stage, depending on what initial findings emerge.

Really appreciate the comments and interest on the project.

Tagengo  :)

<<NOTE: I'm conducting research on video game translations - I might use some answers (anonymously) in my research, so please only answer my posts if this is OK. More information can be found at https://docs.google.com/a/sheffield.ac.uk/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDRIbGx2aE9hZnhQM2Ff

sa♥tsu

• Back against the thin wall
    • View Profile
    • sa-two.yuudachi.net
I'm a bit confused by this. Are questions 2.2, 3.x, 4.x and 5.x about fan translation work or official translation work? I get the impression it's the latter, but could you confirm?

tagengo

• AYBABTU!
    • View Profile
I'm a bit confused by this. Are questions 2.2, 3.x, 4.x and 5.x about fan translation work or official translation work? I get the impression it's the latter, but could you confirm?

Hi,

Those questions are about fan translation work. Please let me know if anything else is unclear.

Thanks!

Hiei-

• View Profile
Completed it, hope it'll help you.  ;)

tagengo

• AYBABTU!
    • View Profile
Dissertation is completed and submitted.

I'd just like to say a big thank you to all who submitted answers to the questionnaire or responded to my questions on the forum, it wouldn't have been possible without all your help!

:thumbsup: