News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Tell me about RPGe.  (Read 10566 times)

Neil

• Submission Reviewer
  • Circuit Rider
    • View Profile
Re: Tell me about RPGe.
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 06:09:43 am »
http://pt.parodius.com/survey/

I did a survey of romhackers and why they were doing what they were doing at some point in 1999. Some big names in there, like Gideon Zhi who would go on to be a moderately prolific hacker.

And this is what the dejap website looked like in mid 1998 right before squareplanet died and [J3d!] quit the scene to work on Raine.

Hubz

• LEVEL - 99++
    • View Profile
    • Spooky Tornado Studio
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 10:56:54 am »
I used to hang out in the romhacking IRC channel regularly back in the day but I never really accomplished much. I have vague memories of setting up a short lived webpage dedicated to the IRC chatroom and stumbling through romhacking basics on Deep Dungeon IV and never really getting anywhere. I was very good friends with BigWierd from even earlier than all the romhacking days. Was always a friendly guy! I also liked chatting with Som2Freak too before all the translation stuff, he was VERY into Japanese as Neil notes but honestly he never really was an asshole to me. Though his personality did change throughout the FF5 translation a bit, probably due to all the drama. The unstable personality I always remember was Demi. One minute would be very cool, the next would be rude. I know him and BigWierd went on to work together for Digital... Eclipse I believe? It was a fun time regardless, most of us were young kids that didn't know any better and so I think personality flaws got magnified a bit. One thing I do know is everyone I mentioned was very sharp, especially for their ages imo. Anyhow this is kinda a pointless posting but thought I would throw in the bits and pieces I remember about the actual personalities.
- Hubz

Draken

• The Lost Son
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 10:42:22 pm »
@Neil - Wow... I had forgotten all about those interviews.  Thank God my English has improved a little since then. ;)  It's almost painful to read through some of the things that I said back then.  It's like I'm reading something from a totally different person.

You know, I've been around in "the scene" (does anyone even call it that anymore? heh) for over 15 years...  It's getting to be REALLY, REALLY hard to remember incidents that happened way back in its infancy.  I don't really know how reliable my memory would be for any sort of interview about things from that time period.

I must say, though, I was flooded with brief memories and nice little happy feelings when reading names like Stovetop, J3D!, Demi, DarkForce, and even Som2Freak...  You know it would really cool if someone tracked down these ancient pillars of the early community and did a sort of "where are they now" column. 

Hubz

• LEVEL - 99++
    • View Profile
    • Spooky Tornado Studio
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 12:31:00 am »
Oh man Dark Force! Forgot about him! Used to chat with him on ICQ all the time. He is one of the earliest greats of the scene for sure as the stuff he figured out to do was brilliant, especially for the time. He was another very friendly guy. Like you said would be cool to find out where they are now and what they're doing. 15 years... has it really has been that long? Damn I feel old!
- Hubz

necrosaro

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2012, 03:20:18 pm »
::wave::

I've run into both Akilla and Demi a few years back. It still amazes me that this community is still alive and well after all these years.

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
    • Stuff Jigglysaint has done(like discover the Crocomire in MZM)
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2012, 11:25:34 pm »
You can't talk about the olden days of rom hacking without mentioning Dragon Eye Studios and TEK.  Man, those were the days.  Well okay those days kind of sucked, but it was fun for a while.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2012, 11:43:37 pm »
You can't talk about the olden days of rom hacking without mentioning Dragon Eye Studios and TEK.

Nah mate, the REAL olden days of romhacking was when Starsoft Translations was hosted on squareplanet.net.

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2012, 11:48:30 pm »
Nah mate, the REAL olden days of romhacking was when Starsoft Translations was hosted on squareplanet.net.

I guess it depends on your romhacking discipline.  Mine wasn't translations so I didn't know what went on over there.

Revenant

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2012, 03:49:31 am »
You can't talk about the olden days of rom hacking without mentioning Dragon Eye Studios and TEK.  Man, those were the days.  Well okay those days kind of sucked, but it was fun for a while.
Remember the days when people thought "Kirby's Balls" was a good name for a level editor?  :'(

I used to go by "Devin432" on Acmlm's Board (at the ripe old age of 12) and I was very briefly a TEK member. I remember the big stupid feud between TEK and DES being the reason I was so reluctant to join, but solid-tbone (or someone else?) talked me into it (though in retrospect, DES was miles ahead of them anyway...)

Besides being indirectly responsible for the creation of that questionably-named program, I didn't ever bring much to "the scene" except some terrible SMW levels (never released) and other minor SMW-related garbage (a little bit of which apparently made it into "The Second Reality Project 2"); soon after that I started to get bored with hacking, quit TEK (or got kicked out? I really don't remember) and then didn't really do any more messing around with hacking until a couple of years ago.

And there you have it, the True Scene Story of someone who was in a ~famous group~ for about two weeks and then did absolutely nothing of note. Exciting stuff, surely.

http://pt.parodius.com/survey/

This isn't mirrored anywhere, is it? Parodius is no more and archive.org doesn't have it :(

Jigglysaint

• Corruptomancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2012, 02:17:44 pm »
Yeah, I think I remember seeing you around Acmlm's board.  Yeah, there was lots of bad blood between TEK and DES, which was pretty bad.  I have to admit that I am grateful that Vagla picked me up since he saw a bit of potential in me.  I haven't released much since all the stuff I want to edit doesn't have a good level editor, or I just ended up getting sick of it.  By far my greatest contribution to the community was my gameboy Zelda hacking.  Nightmare's Illusion was supposed to be a DES hack, though because of the limitations of Nephi(which I named), I couldn't edit that much.

The other thing I did which was kind of nasty, was that I found this guy on the old Armageddon Games forum and he found out I was into hacking and wanted to learn.  He was rather annoying so what I did was I taught him some stuff and then I sent him off to TEK as sort of a prank.  I kind of feel ashamed of it now, but back then it was funny to send a n00b to a rival hacking group and see what came out of it.

Myria

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2012, 03:08:16 am »
What would you like to know?  I haven't talked to SoM2Freak since 1998, but I talk to harmony7 on a regular basis.

harmony7 returned to Japan, where he now has a wife and two daughters.  He works for an American company as a programmer.

I currently work as a programmer as well.

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2012, 03:32:10 am »
Only slightly related, but did your ROM hacking and/or the skill required from it in any way aid in your getting a job?

Myria

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 03:47:06 am »
Only slightly related, but did your ROM hacking and/or the skill required from it in any way aid in your getting a job?

Eventually, yes.  When I hacked FF5, I really wasn't very good at all, but I continued reverse engineering.  I later got involved in making cheat codes for PS1 games, cheating the crap out of Phantasy Star Online on Dreamcast, and the Xbox Linux project.  The latter ended up leading to my current employer finding me.

I wrote a long post here a few days ago: http://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2944&start=15

Both my old Internet name and my current Internet name came from end bosses in Breath of Fire 2 and 1/3 respectively.