News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROLL♥CHAN Evolution!  (Read 91412 times)

Vanya

• View Profile
Re: ROLL♥CHAN Evolution!
« Reply #160 on: February 09, 2016, 03:41:00 pm »
Just watched some of each of the videos. One question. How come Roll's mouth is open while she is running?

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 09, 2016, 06:41:41 pm »
Just watched some of each of the videos. One question. How come Roll's mouth is open while she is running?

Why not?

SunGodPortal

• 2 + 2 = 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 09, 2016, 06:42:48 pm »
How come Roll's mouth is open while she is running?

It's natural to need more air when running.
War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 09, 2016, 07:35:09 pm »
Because that's how Mobile Roll's sprites looked like? Should there be a reason? FYI she is smiling (while running, why not?)

@Synnae: Thanks for the vids. I know there are pre-rendered TAS recorded videos, like those .wav files that you load on emus such as FCEUX. Is that what the videos did? I may be erroneously presumptuous (idk TAS stuff). :P

About Roll-chan only hack, that won't be feasible as I do not want any other version crawling around the net. However, I would consider doing special patches for very extensive hacks like MM3 Improvement, MnC, MI or IM.

About Kapus' Roll FC. I enjoyed what she did and the costumes from the PSP Powered UP were ingenious. I did made a player sprite mod with my Roll-chan design but with the v2.0 design, I will redo it. And I have to consider that there are those big drawings like the titlescreen, get weapon, intros that needs editing *sigh*. In addition, there is this issue on the texts are uneditable. If its possible to edit the text, that would be swell.

drunkenmaverick

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 11, 2016, 11:33:13 pm »
Because that's how Mobile Roll's sprites looked like? Should there be a reason? FYI she is smiling (while running, why not?)

@Synnae: Thanks for the vids. I know there are pre-rendered TAS recorded videos, like those .wav files that you load on emus such as FCEUX. Is that what the videos did? I may be erroneously presumptuous (idk TAS stuff). :P

About Roll-chan only hack, that won't be feasible as I do not want any other version crawling around the net. However, I would consider doing special patches for very extensive hacks like MM3 Improvement, MnC, MI or IM.

About Kapus' Roll FC. I enjoyed what she did and the costumes from the PSP Powered UP were ingenious. I did made a player sprite mod with my Roll-chan design but with the v2.0 design, I will redo it. And I have to consider that there are those big drawings like the titlescreen, get weapon, intros that needs editing *sigh*. In addition, there is this issue on the texts are uneditable. If its possible to edit the text, that would be swell.

I knew you about to bring Megaman Powered UP, Roll had some really cute alternate costumes in the game: http://megaman.wikia.com/wiki/Mega_Man_Powered_Up#Roll.27s_alternative_costumes
.//drunkenmaverick

Amaweks

• View Profile
    • Game and Art Projects (A/R/Tographic diary)
« Reply #165 on: February 12, 2016, 07:08:26 am »
Really loved all Roll Chan hacks.  :beer:

Nice videos, they made me want to go back and replay the whole nes series (on Roll version)

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 12, 2016, 09:51:50 am »

Oh, I see. Yeah, looks kinda odd to me. No worries, TileLayer is my friend for personal edits. ;)

...doing special patches for very extensive hacks like MM3 Improvement...

1000% yes please!

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 12, 2016, 12:58:41 pm »
Thanks for the vids. I know there are pre-rendered TAS recorded videos, like those .wav files that you load on emus such as FCEUX. Is that what the videos did? I may be erroneously presumptuous (idk TAS stuff). :P

Well, I pretty much record an input file and use emulation tools through it such as save states and slowdown. Once it's finished I replay the movie and dump an .avi file out of it at the same time, then encode the video and send to YouTube.

Seeing Roll on those four hacks would already be more than enough. Apart from those, the only other I'd be interested is Gray Zone (also among my favorites).
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 01:42:44 pm by Synnae »

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 10, 2016, 07:35:06 am »
I just released Roll-chan 3 Improvement. Be sure to apply patch Mega Man 3 Improvement first over a clean ROM before applying this patch.

Many thanks to kuja killer for helping me with this project!  :beer:

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 10, 2016, 09:46:50 am »
Yay! MM3 Improvement Roll-chan!

Thank you so much for this. ^^

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #170 on: April 14, 2016, 02:20:48 pm »
Excellent hack. I really enjoyed this. And the newly added intro! Did you do that work yourself? I'd love to see edited for Megaman, and placed back in a new version of Megaman 3 Improvement with regular Megaman. It always struck me as a rush job that Megaman 3 was the only classic game aside from the first not to feature an intro sequence. I love this new addition!

HVC-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 14, 2016, 05:35:08 pm »
I tried the J Classic patch, it isn't working properly. The screen with Roll riding Tango is broken and Roll's color palette is wrong at the title screen and in-game. I've tried Nestopia, FCEUX and the Everdrive FC. USA Classic patch works good though.

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 14, 2016, 11:43:03 pm »
^Fixed  :thumbsup:

HVC-Man

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 15, 2016, 01:24:58 pm »
Awesome, thanks! Fantastic work on the whole series, Roll seems like such a natural fit for this.

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 16, 2016, 02:06:18 am »
Zynk, just throwing this out there -- is there any possible way you could use a three sprite approach for in-game Roll? I realize this would probably cause sprite flickering when there's a good deal on the screen, but I'm just wondering about this. It would make Roll look so much better if this could be done.

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 16, 2016, 07:12:28 am »
Zynk, just throwing this out there -- is there any possible way you could use a three sprite approach for in-game Roll? I realize this would probably cause sprite flickering when there's a good deal on the screen, but I'm just wondering about this. It would make Roll look so much better if this could be done.

The reason I chose Roll's current player sprite design because you can't have too many tiles on a single sprite overlapping each other.

Megaman's idle sprite alone has 10 tiles; 9 tiles for the whole body and 1 tile for the face which is overlapping the body.

Based on your illustration, palette 1 has already 9 tiles + palette 2 would also have 9 tiles + ribbons about 1 tile = 19 tiles for the idle sprite alone. What if you add the other poses, how many tiles would those generate? Keep in mind that the PPU viewer can display $00 to $FF sprite tiles (256 tiles!).

tl;dr not possible and impractical to do on the NES ROM. You can probably do that on a Gamemaker game tho (or on MM7/8FC)

..I feel like I explained this already before...

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 18, 2016, 04:34:44 pm »
Ah this is very educational for me. I thought you could just overlap two sprites, since that's what Megaman does. So why not overlap 3?

How big is a tile? Using the Megaman idle sprite, can you show me how it's nine tiles in a image demonstration?

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #177 on: April 21, 2016, 11:31:08 am »
There are multiple reasons why that's a bad idea:

1. The maximum limit of how many palettes sprites on screen can use at a time, that limit is four, meaning that if you devote three palettes to the player, you then have only one palette anything else on screen can use.

2. There's a total limit of sprite tiles that can be in memory at one time, that limit is 256. Megaman overlays only 1 extra tile only per sprite. Apparently (I didn't recount), your mock up increases a single frame of animation from 11 tiles to 19. Expand that percentage out to the rest of MM's animations, and you're looking at like a 75% increase in tiles needed for the character. Considering that at any point in time, the remainder of the 256 available are allocated to enemies, projectiles, HUD elements, etc., you'd essentially have to remove half the other elements in the game to make room for them.

3. Moreover, there's a limit as to how many sprite tiles can be displayed on screen at a time, which is 64. Again, you'd have to remove other elements of the game to make room.

4. There's a sprite tiles-per-scanline (horizontal row of pixels) limit. That limit is 8. Go past 8 and cause flicker. (You can see this in Metal Man's stage when the spiked platforms on chains drop in front of MM and the drills rise through the ground. By having so many overlapping sprites,  you'd essentially be guaranteeing flicker anytime more than one enemy is at the same screen height as any part of the main character.

Tiles are 8x8. Open up Photoshop, set your grid to 16 px with 2 subdivisions, and then separate your desired palettes into layers to see how many tiles you're working with.

Open a MM ROM in FCEUX and go to Debug--> PPU Viewer. To see all of the tiles currently in use. Only half of the 512 shown can be used for sprites, the other half are the background.

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 21, 2016, 12:43:57 pm »
Seriously, the current sprites are fine. I don't see why some people are not satisfied with them and keep demanding for more.

Darkabomination

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 28, 2016, 11:05:46 pm »
I'd just like to thank you for creating the Roll-Chan hacks. Not just because Roll is my fav Mega Man Classic character, but because I'm visually impaired I've always found it next to impossible to use Mega's default sprite because many backgrounds share similar shades of blue and compared with Roll has less detail on his color palette. Her more distinct coloring makes it much easier to play as she stands out more and I've had some fun playing the Classic series because of it. If not for the hacks I wouldn't be able to, so again thank you very much.

As an aside, I've always wanted to play her in MMPU, but I've never gotten the downloadable save data to work. Shame, because beating the crap out of robots with a broom sounds like a recipe for a good time.