News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROLL♥CHAN Evolution!  (Read 113368 times)

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
Re: ROLL♥CHAN Evolution!
« Reply #80 on: May 26, 2014, 08:50:01 pm »
Also, the area is rarely wider than 3 pixels, often only a pixel wide. A dither needs more area to read clearly.

I think the original sprites look better. IMO, too much flesh tone makes games look like hong kong pirates. Contrast is better. Also, she does look topless in that one, which is creepy.

Why would color changing hair make less sense than color changing armor? They're robots. Her hair is as artificial as MM's armor, or their skin. "This part of the fictional robot can be made of scifi color-changing material, but that part can't" is just ridiculous.

Vanya

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2014, 01:24:33 pm »
*I had an issue with Crystalman's color of him being green. His official art of has him in light-blue:

Now Crystalman is now light-blue. Alas, his Stage Select portrait still has him in green. Oh well.
[/quot]

He looks flat, like you just removed his shading. Maybe a slightly darker shade of blue would be in order?

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2014, 11:18:34 pm »
@Vanya: Noted.

About revising Roll's palette, I thought about sticking back with the original color with both Classic & MM8 Roll.  :-\

At the very least, anyone who would like to see Roll with the alt-color mentioned, here's a demo of Rollchan 1. Any feedback about this palette change is appreciated. This is for the (J) rom only.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2014, 01:34:35 am »
The only problem with the new Crystal Man is that the crystal and his armor color are now the same.

Even though the official artwork shows him with darker crystal than his armor, that doesn't work in the sprite because the color from his armor is also used as shading on the crystal. I would suggest going with 3C for crystal and 2C for armor to bring that contrast back.

Edit: Much of his official art shows him dark enough to even be shown as 1C, and the crystal in a lot of that artwork is blue. The problem with that, is that when you go that dark and bring in pure blue, his design reads much less as "crystal" and much more as "water."

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 01:55:08 am by M-Tee »

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2014, 05:46:37 am »
Two months later... an update! Roll-chan 2 & 3 are somewhat done with the titlescreen needs fixing, but before that... Roll-chan 4!  8)

Posted in another site, might as well post it here too.

Does anyone know how to edit this?
I need to know where the flickering colors on the Intro-train scene. The palette is located at offset 36975 (both for MMIV & RM4) .

Encircled 1 & 2 ; 3 & 4, where 1 & 3 are the flickering colors.

Megaman palettes on 1 & 2 are $11 & $01 --> Roll $11 & $16 OR $26 & $ 16
Megaman palettes on 3 & 4 are $2C & $11 --> Roll $2C & $28 OR $38(or $19 for bow) & $28

Changing the values only successfully affects 2 & 4.
Changing 1 & 3 from $11 & $2C to $26 & $38(or $19 for green ribbon) doesn't change at all.

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2014, 03:05:05 pm »
I'm looking forward to seeing how you updated Rock taking off his helmet. Maybe her ribbon instead?

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2014, 06:49:35 am »
After a few months... an update! Expect Roll-chan 2, Roll-chan 3 AND Roll-chan 4 to be released (when else?) on the 17th of December this year! Nothing much to say so here are some titlescreens!

8)

Korxroa

• Korxtendo
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2014, 12:26:23 pm »
US version of Mega Man 2 "Roll-Chan 2" (Screenshot Left)?
JP version Only, Not US version.
For Intro Scene in Rockman 2 Hack called Roll-Chan 2.
Change Japanese Text "ロックマン" is Rockman to "ロールちゃん" is Roll-Chan, edit text via FceUX's Hex Editor and Font Japanese Tile use YY-CHR or TLP.

Screenshot Roll-Chan 5 Title Screen?

Insectduel's Roll-Chan 4 Mobile Edition -> working in progress and Zynk's Roll-Chan 4 Original Edition -> Dec/17/2014  :)

Korxtendo's Create Roll Sprite from Mega Man and Rockman 1 (2007) Mobile for Two Games.
Darkwing Roll (Darkwing Duck, Tile via Matrixz's CSA) and Magical Roll (Magical Doropie, X/Y Position at ROM D1F1-D4C1 via Hex Editor).
New Two Hacks Darkwing Roll-Chan and Magical Roll-Chan released on early 2015  ;)
The Last Fun Life

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2014, 08:13:29 pm »
Yea Roll-chan 2 US version with JP title logo. I used YY-CHR for drawing the logo then manually inserted it with WindHex. The titlescreeen was not compressed.

Sadly, Roll-Chan 5 (AND Roll-chan 6) will be on hold. There's A LOT of things to edit there like Roll spinning animation & Roll fusing with Tango and stuff; I haven't even started doing that. And its a pain that the CSA editor does not support MM6.

Korxtendo's Create Roll Sprite from Mega Man and Rockman 1 (2007) Mobile for Two Games.
Darkwing Roll (Darkwing Duck, Tile via Matrixz's CSA) and Magical Roll (Magical Doropie, X/Y Position at ROM D1F1-D4C1 via Hex Editor).
New Two Hacks Darkwing Roll-Chan and Magical Roll-Chan released on early 2015  ;)
Yeah! More Roll-chan romhacks! Looking forward to that! :thumbsup:

Korxroa

• Korxtendo
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2014, 09:40:50 pm »
Matrixz's CSA drop support Mega Man 1 & Mega Man 6.
No X/Y Position for Rockman 6 via Hex Editor.

In Roll-Chan 6 development, Rockman 6 doesn't change palette color hex like Title Screen or Rockman Sprite via FCEUX's Hex Editor.

Zynk's Roll-Chan 7 (RM7FC Mod) on Cutstuff(dot)net Board only, not RDHN or Board 2.
The Last Fun Life

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2014, 08:07:22 pm »
I absolutely love this project. Nuff said.

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2014, 09:27:08 pm »
This is super cute, I'm loving it! ♡

cute protagonists > manly protagonists. Always~ ^^

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 17, 2014, 05:37:52 am »

insectduel

• View Profile
    • Insectduel's Domain
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2014, 07:16:08 pm »
Since we are on the ROLL♥CHAN topic, I decided to release the prototype version of my own version of Roll Chan 4 Mobile after Zynk released it. It's incomplete but I REALLY need help because I cannot do this project by myself. I have NO experience in Sprite CHR ROM in Rockman 4. I did however, create a new Sprite GFX load for Primary and Scroll ID's. You can enjoy my prototype version but I am stopping the project for a little while because I have other things to work on. I may either contact PureSabe because he is the strongest in Sprite CHR ROM when is loaded during the RM4MI gameplay. I hacked RM4MI to see how the code is programmed when Rockman gets on the Sakugarne on Drill Man's stage when the PPU is loaded but it's WAY to customized to copy the code.

I need a code suggestion of how to run a Sprite CHR ROM for Rockman 4 like with PureSabe's code or attempt to modify the WIP version. It's much harder than it was. Also, she flickers when her sprites has more than 8 so it's meant for Emulator use than the cartridge version. I am really struggling for the mobile version and she's worked on since August and nothing is done.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:25:23 pm by insectduel »
Please do not send me RHDN's private messages to contact me, you must use Facebook and I'll be able to reply to you quickly. I AM NOT AN ACTIVE RHDN MEMBER!

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2014, 08:35:30 pm »
I've said before that I love this project, but I think original colors for Roll would be better as well. She is supposed to be blonde after all.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2014, 10:15:11 pm »
I think it was made pretty clear on the previous page that due to palette restrictions, doing that and having it look good is not an option.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2014, 11:57:02 pm »
Playing with both, the original sprite looks better with the proper color, but the MM8 sprite looks better in its current form. Just a personal opinion. However, I think using the MM8 sprite works better since Dr Light upgraded Roll into Roll-Chan to battle Dr Wily like he upgraded Rock into Mega Man. But having both options is cool nonetheless.

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2014, 10:06:49 pm »
After a few months... an update! Expect Roll-chan 2, Roll-chan 3 AND Roll-chan 4 to be released (when else?) on the 17th of December this year! Nothing much to say so here are some titlescreens!

8)

Wonderful news. Roll Chan X when? :P

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #98 on: December 22, 2014, 04:29:33 am »
Zynk, I've left you reviews of Roll-Chan 2, 3, and 4. Really love your work!

And actually, I'd like to help with Roll-Chan 5. I don't have rom hacking experience parse, but I am something of a sprite artist and am very familiar with the Famicom Rockman games.

In the case of Rockman 5, seven of the eight robot masters are improperly colored in game compared to their official artwork counterparts, the worst being Crystalman and Naplamman. Their primary colors are just simply wrong in-game. I am aware of the three colors per sprite limitations of NES graphics as well as the NTSC color pallet. Taking those into account and specifically how the Megaman bosses are constructed using three sprite layers, here's an example of my work with Crystalman: 

This shows two possible coloring solutions that work to make Crystalman more dynamic looking in game. I have colored all sprites to show what he would look like in each pallet.

The first uses a darker pallet imitates the green of the original sprite, while still retaining some blue traits.

The second uses exclusively light blues and closely matches the original, official artwork of the character. I feel this is the better choice, and no offense, superior to the concept of a light blue Crystalman posted earlier.

What I am not sure about is the proper names for color pallet addresses, so included in my image is the NES color pallet. I've listed the new color changes according to an X-Y grid format. For example, the dark greenish blue primary color of the first Crystalman is listed as C-1. That means it is C in the horizontal column and 1 in the vertical column.

I'm working on fixing the others as well, but Crystalman is the most extreme example.

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 23, 2014, 05:20:02 am »
Thank you very much, Satoshi.  :thumbsup:

I've already implemented Crystalman's body color to 1C like what you did. Also changed Stoneman=17(body), Napalmman=12(body), Starman=28(bands), and Gyroman=19(body) color. I'm thinking about Chargeman having red & orange (16 & 26) but 16 is what he turns into when blowing out his charcoal, so maybe I'll just leave him like that. But I fancy him in 0C & 1C to make him more steam powered train-colored.