News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROLL♥CHAN Evolution!  (Read 113380 times)

Midna

• Resident Panel de Pon Nut
    • View Profile
Re: ROLL♥CHAN Evolution!
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2014, 01:06:26 am »
The English versions of 8, 9, and 10 use the Rockman title format but remove the subtitles for consistency with the earlier games, if that helps you reach a decision.

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2014, 01:14:06 am »
I would remove the sub-titles also. I find them fairly unnecessary, and awkward when translated into English.

However, it's clear with the your choice of Batsu and Roll-chan over Bats and Roll, that you seem to prefer retaining more of the Japanese cultural presence over English localization, so I suggest doing what you feel is most inline with your view for the hacks.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2014, 10:25:15 am »
The English versions of 8, 9, and 10 use the Rockman title format but remove the subtitles for consistency with the earlier games, if that helps you reach a decision.
Yeah, maybe I'll just follow this, thanks. And it'll cut me some slack on dem logos.  :P

---

I'm just fiddling with Quickman's face. Wondered how'd he look like with a mouth? His portrait has one, but not his sprites.

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2014, 08:16:47 am »
Roll-chan 1 is now v1.2, as I edit MM2, I found some discrepancies found on MM1.  :banghead:
I'll update MM1 & MM2 for such discrepancies.

And now, little updates on Roll♥chan 2.

I changed the Items appearances with some background info-

Item-1 is now a flying support unit, I'll call these Drifters. Commonly household mobile platforms, their main function are loosely like ladders or elevators, or more like Footholders in MM1. They are now used to assist Roll and can now fly upwards with their feet propellers.

And a most common item canon to Roll-

Item-2 is now a flying jet-powered broomstick!

Item-3 is next! I have something (or someone) in mind as a support unit.  :happy:

32x1000

• "Welcome to my DOJO!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2014, 11:13:09 am »
Item-3 is next! I have something (or someone) in mind as a support unit.
How about the item 3 be a bow tie.
"Not safe for kids over 167"

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2014, 02:51:39 am »
Weekends are short & its humid like its already summertime! 1 month of cold season left so fast! The rest of the world should share their cool weather! :banghead:

Anyways, check out the Get Weapon Roll!

The GW sprites are also used in the ending animation which is tough but fun to draw, a lot of mirrored & shared tiles are there, also her face & body are two-layered like the player sprites. MM8 Roll is already done, too.

Back to Item changes. Item-3 is now a Tango Lift!

Anyone may have already known Tango is the cat that first appeared on the GB version, Rockman World 5. He is always tagged by fans as a support unit for Roll, so his debut on NES is on MM2 and not MM3 (and don't nag me at the timeline of Tango's creation, after all Tango might already be existing in the background, sorta...). Tango can also transform into other things like Rush, here he changes into a wall-crawling elevator.

I may look into MM 3-6 in advance because there are a lot of player sprite discrepancies that I should be aware of so that all of Roll's sprites are the same on the whole NES series.
I already tapped into Roll's sliding sprite.

I haven't done any Rush-to-Tango spriting yet. So that's the update for the week!

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2014, 11:37:09 am »
Update: Aside from Roll, I'm also trying to improve some Robot Master sprites.

*And I found some built-in bad sprite coding. Take for example Bubbleman:

Take note on Bubbleman's top, its misplaced (this is also present in the JP version). Also his official art has him with a green vest.
His sprites doesn't have any, just a green jewel on his chest. I added the vest as seen in the pic.

*Did anyone notice why Sparkman's face is black? It appears that only his eyes & open mouth were skin colored.

Then I tried putting his face on the black area of his face. He is surprisingly a good-looker. :P

*I had an issue with Crystalman's color of him being green. His official art of has him in light-blue:

Now Crystalman is now light-blue. Alas, his Stage Select portrait still has him in green. Oh well.

I would check Napalmman's color. He's supposed to be purple, but his sprite is blue.
Chargeman has red & orange, but his sprite is orange & white.

Now I should go back to Roll-chan 2. But seeing that most of the US versions of MM3-MM6 have their title logos compressed.
Maybe I'll try & work out a US Titlescreen logo for "ROLL-CHAN".

justin3009

• Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2014, 11:59:20 am »
REALLY love when people see details like that and tweak/fix them.  Seriously, absolutely great job!
'We have to find some way to incorporate the general civilians in the plot.'

'We'll kill off children in the Juuban district with an infection where they cough up blood and are found hanging themselves from cherry blossom trees.'

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2014, 11:27:41 pm »
I agree with all of those changes except Bubbleman's vest. Official art aside, I feel that removing the color contrast between his arms and torso really kills the legibility of the sprite. It's hard to forget that these sprites aren't intended to be viewed at a crisp 300% on a PC monitor, and as such, contrast of overlapping features is still very important.

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2014, 11:37:59 am »
I just finished replacing Rush with Tango.  :)

But I have a problem changing the weapon menu name:

I wanna replace RC/RM/RJ with TC/TM/TJ. Does anyone know how?  :-[

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2014, 11:46:37 am »
I assume you've done a hex search for those combinations to no avail?

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2014, 12:02:37 pm »
Yep.  :(

One hex search for RM and all I get is only one match (RM=1B16)

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2014, 01:31:01 pm »
I'm sure there are simpler ways, but you could find a hack that's changed it and look at the ips to scan for relevant hex addresses.

Also, maybe it stores the R once and the other characters somewhere else. You could try searches for combinations of CMJ or scroll through, looking for clusters of menu letters near each other.

RadioTails

• Holding the Mega Drive controller
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2014, 01:37:36 pm »
I just finished replacing Rush with Tango.  :)

But I have a problem changing the weapon menu name:

I wanna replace RC/RM/RJ with TC/TM/TJ. Does anyone know how?  :-[

With the NES, background tiles are stored like so:

X, Y, Tile ID

Using FCEUX Emulator and get to that point.  Then click on Debug -> Name Table Viewer...

Now if you see the tiles you want, then they are background tiles.  Simply make a note of the first "X, Y, Tile ID" and the second "X, Y, Tile ID".  Now providing the data isn't compressed, you should be able to find the data in the rom.

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2014, 12:33:48 am »
Thanks to kuja killer, I've easily replaced the R with T

Those menu letters are actually not compressed; IIRC they are listed like this:
PGNHMTSRSRSR EEAAOSCSMHJ
First letters listed then the second letters starting with the space, as P is only 1 letter not 2.

cj iwakura

• The Rhythm Rogue
    • View Profile
    • iwakura.productions
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2014, 01:36:30 pm »
You're doing MM2? :D Can't wait.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 26, 2014, 10:56:53 am »
Of course! Even up to 6 (I hope) ;)

Okay, so now I feel like revising Roll's palette. (Left is the old/Right is the new) Due to limitations, Classic Roll's hair is colored after her dress. Someone mentioned that her hair color should be like her skin color, so I tried it. I feel like its her natural color. I also changed MM8 Roll's yellow to skin color (she doesn't look.. topless , does she?...). What do you guys think?

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 26, 2014, 03:40:56 pm »
I'd say changing her hair to her skin color is an improvement. Roll having color changing hair don't make much sense.

How about a pic of it in-game?

Bregalad

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 26, 2014, 03:44:39 pm »
I'd suggest ditthering between the two (skin and red). She'll overal appear to have blonde hair. I do that with the heroine of my NES game which is supposed to be blonde but I lack the # of colours for doing it. You should just make some areas fully skin colour so it'll look like a highlight.

MathUser2929

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 26, 2014, 05:14:33 pm »
Red isn't always red, so you will be dealing with changing hair color still every time he equps a different weapon or item.