News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: ROLL♥CHAN Evolution!  (Read 113372 times)

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
Re: ROLL♥CHAN Evolution!
« Reply #100 on: December 24, 2014, 01:49:56 pm »
Ah, so you read the color chart by the vertical number and then the horizontal. Gotcha. I've done the others too so I'll post them to see if we concur.

About Crystalman, I am somewhat undecided on which version looks best. Because Crystalman's body is suppose to be ultra reflective, his primary color changed depending on the official art, sometimes being greenish, sometimes being light blue, the Ruby-Spears cartoon made him the same blue Megaman is, and other times he's dark blue. Given all of those choices, I think the dark blue and the light blue options are the best.

None of the other robots have more than one ideal color scheme. Perhaps when you release Roll-Chan 5, you could offer both Crystalman's color options.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2014, 12:21:14 am »
Just noticed an update for Roll Chan 1 and 3 for minor fixes. Wondering what they are.

Zynk

• WIP Roll-chan: The Wily Wars
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2014, 11:19:14 am »
@SM: I can settle with color combinations that is good with the eyes. 3C & 1C are fine by me.

@RM: Roll-chan 1 (U) I forgot to change the face palette from 38 to 37, MM1 has 38 while MM2~6 has 37. The others may have that too so I fixed them. In Roll-chan 3, I missed Roll's Magnet Missile color, too many versions are easily overlooked hence minor fixes  :P

NES Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2014, 11:56:52 pm »
How about a LUA script enhancement that gives you a blonde Classic Roll and always makes her mouth red? Here is a YouTube playlist showing off the capabilities of LUA scripting, and http://retroshift.wikidot.com/scripts here's a list of them, including one for Power Blade that lets you add enemies from Ninja Gaiden and Mega Man.

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2014, 04:58:26 pm »
Okay, I'm done fixing the colors of the Megaman 5 bosses. Zynk, please use these colors for Roll-Chan 5!

Also, could you release a half step patch for Megaman 5 that leaves the same with Megaman, but includes these boss color corrections? Thanks!

Chargeman:

In his official art Chargeman is an orange-red, but since that doesn't really exist in the NES pallet, I think simply going with red is the best thing, so this was a simple change. Since his invincibility/attack animation was red, I changed the hue to the next closest darker shade.

Crystalman:

As mentioned before, Crystalman should be blue-ish. Two color schemes, one with a darker "ice" themed, the other with lighter colors going with the more "crystal" themed. Zynk, please offer players both choices so they can choose the color that they wish.

Gravityman:

Another very basic change. Gravityman's official art always depicts him with a pure red body, but his original sprite was this off-red shade. Simply corrected this to pure red. Done.

Gyroman:

Another case where Capcom gave the character the wrong primary color. The original Gyroman is an awful bright shade of Green that doesn't make the sprite look good at all. Centaurman in Megaman 6 also uses this terrible color, so when I get around to fixing Megaman 6's bosses, he'll be the new shade of green as well.

In addition, Gyroman's chest grates and belt have been adjusted to better match his official art.

Naplamnman:

Naplamman should be purple, yet his sprites were all originally blue! With a simple change, he regains the colors he should have. I also changed the red from that off-red that Gravityman was to a pure red for his head cannon and his red missiles.

Starman:

Starman is suppose to be brown and gold, not whatever orange shade he was originally. Single color simple fix.

Stoneman:

Stoneman wasn't terrible originally, but since he is suppose to be brown, I made him the same shade of brown as Starman. Too bad the NES pallet is rather limited when it comes to browns.

Waveman:

And finally Waveman. Waveman's colors should be left the way they are, but his attack, the Water Wave, needs to be darkened to make it resemble actual water. Likewise, when Roll gains the Water Wave, her color should match this deeper blue.

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2014, 10:39:37 pm »
I'm waaay ahead of you in terms of palette changing.  :thumbsup:

But I think Chargeman can have 26-16 then coal attack 16-06. But making him like that might lose the emphasis of the coal attack.

There's a miss with Waveman's harpoon color, shooting has white harpoon while the attached form has yellow. I attempted make the attached harpoon white, but I have too move the tiles of the sprite to make that happen, but it proves to be tedious, so making the flying harpoon yellow would suffice, I guess.

There's also a miss in Napalmman's bombs & missiles. In his art, he has red bombs on his arms, blue missiles on his shoulders. But in the game, flying missiles are colored red but at rest on his shoulders show them as blue, which is odd. Also his bombs in his arms are red, but launched bombs are orange.

I'll think about the boss pallete hack patch. Thanks for the suggestions.

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 30, 2014, 12:07:08 am »
Just had an LOL moment playing Rollchan 3. Didn't think at first during my first playthrough, but using Tango as Roll's partner was genius. When you beat Shadow Man and get the Tango Marine, the first thing that comes to mind is RENT. I started singing the Tango Maureen!

Satoshi_Matrix

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 30, 2014, 02:03:10 am »

There's also a miss in Napalmman's bombs & missiles. In his art, he has red bombs on his arms, blue missiles on his shoulders. But in the game, flying missiles are colored red but at rest on his shoulders show them as blue, which is odd. Also his bombs in his arms are red, but launched bombs are orange.

I'm aware, but I'm simply working within the sprite color limitations of the NES as the original game. Are you saying you can change the sprite layer of his bomb arms?

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 11, 2015, 11:21:59 am »
A little update. I'm still working on Roll-chan 5 AND Roll-chan 6. I hit a hurdle on Roll-chan 6, the palettes seemed to be compressed.

I managed to find a few many:  :woot!:
*Player sprite
*Power Armor (Standing still)
*Jet Armor
*Normal, Jet and Power Megaman in Menu screen
*Power Armor (Moving around)
*When changing armor (Megaman & Rush sprite colors)
*Titlescreen Logo color
*Intro where Megaman appears (there are 2 instances: one with Megaman & Mr.X and the other with Megaman & Rush)
*Ending with Megaman and Dr.Wily
*Get Weapon screen Megaman colors
*Stage Select screen
*Weapon colors
*Get Weapon screen weapon colors*Beat color (Seems to be shared with Normal Megaman)

I would like to find:
I can now look for the palettes thanks to rock5easily's tips, but I still need to find:
*Normal charging
*Power charging

Can anyone find those palettes mentioned? I'm stumped. :'(

That's all for now. I'll just leave this pic:

Spoiler:

It seems C. FLASH is misspelled as C. FLRSH (both in JP & US versions). I made a .tbl file & this is what I found.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 12:10:53 am by Zynk Oxhyde »

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 11, 2015, 01:43:42 pm »
That's awesome news. I'm curious about how Roll will look with Tango as a jet pack.

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2015, 05:53:16 pm »
Hey Zynk, since you enjoy messing around with sprites, I have a little something I'd like to show you.

Ever wondered how Shadow Man would look like with a ninja mask? Well, this is my best attempt:

I also gave him a dark palette swap to look more like a black ninja thing. This isn't actual black, but it's the closest palette I can use that would not interfere with his black outlines. If I used the actual black, he'd look like this:

o.O

EDIT

I have something else to show you too:

^ since turning Roll's hair yellow isn't possible due to palette limitations, I made it the same color as her skin plus with a black line to separate her face from her hair. Now it does look like she has cute blonde bangs. ♥ what do you think?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 09:14:10 pm by Synnae »

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2015, 11:43:35 pm »
You could try purple like what they used in MMBN

I made this before tho:

It looks good with her bangs separating her face. I added a boundary for her bangs.

This look is reminiscent to the Neo Geo Pocket game "Rockman Battle & Fighters"
Recolored with skin yellow

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2015, 12:34:03 am »
I think I prefer the blonde hair. The black line looks good to separate it. I think the whole series should be or have the option of blonde hair Roll.

Chpexo

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2015, 08:31:40 am »
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 07:49:41 am by Chpexo »

Synnae

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2015, 10:22:38 am »
It looks good with her bangs separating her face. I added a boundary for her bangs.

Woah, now it looks even better. I like it. ^^

I think I prefer the blonde hair. The black line looks good to separate it. I think the whole series should be or have the option of blonde hair Roll.

I agree with this. The whole series having an extra patch for blonde Roll would be pretty nice. :)

gadesx

• View Profile
    • Gadesx scene
« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2015, 04:47:51 am »
You can change Starman to Starwoman lol  8)

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #116 on: August 06, 2015, 07:20:47 pm »
I like that new sprite. Best yet.

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2015, 09:11:25 am »
Little update. A bit of text hacking.

I can't seem to find any control codes for the stage select text, so I used some squishy tiles.

Also, idk if Daniel Vallee had his name fixed in the credits in the other reprints of this game, but I did a touch up to it. And I changed the DWNB to DWN

That's all for now!

Zynk

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 08, 2015, 05:01:46 am »
Just want to announce that I will be updating Roll-chan's sprites, from 1 to 4, and 5 & 6!

Based on the image here, I will be using the 3rd design (the 4th one for reference to her blonde hair). She will replace ALL of the other versions (namely, Classic & MM8).

I hope everyone will accept her new design. Admittedly, she's the cutest.  :-*

Rodimus Primal

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 08, 2015, 08:15:46 am »
 :cookie: :woot!: Finally blonde haired Roll Chan!  :woot!: :cookie:

So the design will change for her hair, but is there still Classic and MM8 or just the one?