News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules, Mobile Version
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia

Author Topic: ROLL♥CHAN Evolution!  (Read 53566 times)

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
  • Roll-chan World (GB) COMPLETED
    • View Profile
ROLL♥CHAN Evolution!
« on: June 19, 2012, 12:10:52 pm »
Heys! This my first ROM hack and I'm a very eager newbie  :angel:

Here's my very first personal project. Welp, its just a graphics hack of a Rockman ROM (yeah, uhuh another Rockman hack) where---I replaced the Blue Bomber w/ his  ::)  sister Roll.
I'm doing this after work so this might take longer to accomplish. So far, I completely replaced all of Rock's sprites with Roll's. I took the liberty of gathering different sprites of Roll, esp. from Spriters INC; but I mostly made my own customization of Roll's sprites. Seeing that Rock has.. uhrm.. Man-ily postures..  :banghead: ..I just can't stand making a girly robot do those odd poses.

Do note that I'm aware of the Yuifa's Roll-chan hack and I do not intend on using those ROMs made by that person (and besides imho my Roll-chan is more ka~wa~iiiiii).  >:D >:D >:D
And I prefer doing my projects from scratch.

Here are a few snapshots, I'm using VirtuaNES and I haven't tapped the hex of the palettes and stuff. The colors you see on the pics are just edited from that emulator.

EDIT: fixed double entry pic  :P
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 01:22:52 am by Zynk Oxhyde »

tashi

• View Profile
Re: ROLL♥CHAN Evolution!
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 09:12:44 pm »
Very cool :D I'm a fan of hacks that replace male protagonists with cute girls. What game wouldn't be improved like that, I ask rhetorically.

Two of your screenshots are the same, though. I wonder if there is another shot?

Garoth Moulinoski

• Disliking that smoke.
    • View Profile
    • My Stuff including Super Smash Karts.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 08:48:41 am »
http://i.imgur.com/TXyAC.png
http://i.imgur.com/pWiWw.png
http://i.imgur.com/iv7jm.png

EDIT: fixed double entry pic  :P

I came in and...

At first I was like

=_=:

But then I saw the screenshots and was like*

//O∆O//

Good job on the sprite edit work! It really makes it seem like it's Roll who's in there instead of Rock crossdressing (although if that's what he's into... well, the more power to him?)

*I'm a manly man, alright. A man. That's manly. Who's a manly man. I'm entitled to admit when something's cute. Because I'm manly. And a man.
Who will quote me next?
Disclaimer: If it sounds wrong, I may have been posting while asleep.

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 11:09:45 am »
Here are a few snapshots, I'm using VirtuaNES and I haven't tapped the hex of the palettes and stuff. The colors you see on the pics are just edited from that emulator.

The screenshots are nice, but you really do need to get around to actually editing the palettes in the game. Your hack will otherwise be unplayable for anyone using any emulator that you're not. Your screens might as well amount to photoshop jobs as far as users of fceu or mednafen are concerned.

Dwedit

• View Profile
    • Dwedit's Website
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 02:12:49 am »
NES Palette Editor is easy to use, but its search feature is worthless, since you need to specify 4 colors.  But it's good for visually finding a bunch of palettes by looking at them.
"We are merely sprites that dance at the beck and call of our button-pressing overlord."

gadesx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 09:19:04 am »
Oh interesting see Roll in Rockman 1

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 08:39:52 pm »
Real-life work has taken its toll  >:(

I got little work done on my project. But I got some time in editing the Title Screen (TS).

With palette colors limited to only 3 (not counting the transparent color) The TS Roll has black, blue and light blue and her face has white, skin-tone and yellow.
I'm yet to fix her color, but I'm not satisfied with my drawing of her; I'm thinking of scaling her more based on the original Rockman TS.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 01:23:53 am by Zynk Oxhyde »

Tsukiyomaru0

• I have no regrets!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 03:06:37 pm »
Nice Roll in title... Fun Fact: Rockman Mobile (Jap only, maybe China) features a Roll Mode, where she has MM4 Buster that consumes 1/10 or 1/8 of an ammo bar per charged shot and takes somewhat more damage

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 07:51:34 am »

Good job on the sprite edit work! It really makes it seem like it's Roll who's in there instead of Rock crossdressing (although if that's what he's into... well, the more power to him?)

I'm hoping you're referring to moe-fying Rock Man to Rock-chan or something  ;)  ;)

The screenshots are nice, but you really do need to get around to actually editing the palettes in the game.

I'm doing some progress on my own TYVM!

Your hack will otherwise be unplayable for anyone using any emulator that you're not.

I don't know what you mean here tbh...

Your screens might as well amount to photoshop jobs as far as users of fceu or mednafen are concerned.

Just try graphics modifying for once why doncha! I'm really working hard on this!  :banghead: And who're those fceu's or mednafen?

NES Palette Editor is easy to use, but its search feature is worthless, since you need to specify 4 colors.  But it's good for visually finding a bunch of palettes by looking at them.

As you say. And I'm sticking with finding the hex value of the colors from VirtuaNES's palette edit and used translhextion1 in manipulating the colors. The result is what you can see here:

http://i.imgur.com/4aI22.png

compared to the last pic I posted, I say I did pretty well  ;D

Nice Roll in title... Fun Fact: Rockman Mobile (Jap only, maybe China) features a Roll Mode, where she has MM4 Buster that consumes 1/10 or 1/8 of an ammo bar per charged shot and takes somewhat more damage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTmKICtBx58

I liked it.  8)

AOTM I'm trying this Rock and Roll Megaman editor AND WHOA I can make something out of this utility. I made something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/BkS8G.png

Maybe it'll take me awhile to create my own stages; I'm trying copying MMPU block designs but I'll just make my own.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 08:05:53 am by Zynk Oxhyde »

Easy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 04:13:05 pm »
WOW Very interesting. I like this. :)

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 04:36:36 pm »
Very nice title screen !

Easy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 07:29:11 pm »
Have anything update? ::)

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 05:36:46 am »
Have anything update? ::)

Ah... none. Actually I'm planning on a sprite hack replacing Megaman with Roll. It's just going to be a sprite hack from MM 1-6.
I'm still in the middle of tweaking with my current hack of Rockman 7. Good thing it was rejected (*sniffles*), so that I could submit a better hack of it.

Anyways, thanks for asking!  :thumbsup:

locolol

• That penguin sure looks pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 08:31:01 am »
That Roll sprite is very cute,i dig it  :)

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 01:48:26 am »
:angel: Necro-update! Seriously, this project is NOT dead yet! :angel:

Here it is! A preview of ROLL♥CHAN 2!

I'm still working on Rockman 1 along with Rockman 2 (and possibly, I hope, Rockman 3 thru 6) for consistency issues. AND I'm also working on the US version so that you can play Roll on any version and applicable to any hacks! I'm planning to release all versions from 1 thru 6 in one go!

M-Tee

• One pixel at a time…
    • View Profile
    • M-Tee Retro Graphics
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 02:59:06 am »
I'd like to see your palettes for each upgrade if you have them ready.

Easy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2013, 06:54:38 pm »
Cool!!! :D

Bisqwit

• Polite, but politically incorrect.
    • View Profile
    • http://iki.fi/bisqwit/
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2013, 02:06:43 pm »
If you are still struggling with the palette information, I can probably help with that...

Basically, the levels are stored in pairs, and the palette for pair component 1 of that particular page  is stored at 0CA0 relative to the beginning of the page and palette for pair component 2 is stored a 0CD0 relative to the beginning of the page. Palettes are 16*3 bytes.
- First 16: Background palette
- Second 16: Actors palette
- Third 16: Background palette after transition 2.

This applies to both Mega Man 1 and 2.

Satoshi_Matrix

• Retro & Contemporary Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Retro & Contemporary Gaming Archives
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 04:31:13 pm »
This topic has be excited. Hows the progress coming?

Zynk

• Submission Reviewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 09:29:40 pm »
I'm afraid its on hiatus ATM. I'm in the middle of a translation & a titlescreen request. And I think MM3 has the most chaotic sprite placements of them all.  >:(