News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 38848 times)

KaioShin

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
    • View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
Re: Your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2013, 12:53:31 pm »
I pre-ordered Bioshock Infinite (and got Spec Ops along with it as a pre-order bonus). So yeah, that means no Tomb Raider, I hope you are all happy now :P
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2013, 02:34:53 pm »
I pre-ordered Bioshock Infinite (and got Spec Ops along with it as a pre-order bonus). So yeah, that means no Tomb Raider, I hope you are all happy now :P
I'm not sure Bioshock Infinite is much better, but I suppose it can't possibly be worse than Tomb Raider... probably...

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2013, 02:43:41 pm »
I see they stuck with the frat boy approved cover art.

It's probably a fun action adventure game, but not one I personally would buy full priced.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2013, 02:50:20 pm »
I haven't even gotten around to the first one yet.  At this rate, I never will.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

granz

• View Profile
    • granz' corner
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2013, 02:54:34 pm »
(hopefully I'm not hijacking this into a Dragon Quest discussion)

I've committed myself to finishing DW1, so I'll probably try to approach the rest of the series from there. DW2 definitely looks interesting. I was looking over some details and noticed that the story seems to be a continuation of the events of DW1. In fact, the areas from DW1 are present in DW2, albeit in a smaller scale.

Now I'm curious - is there any continuity with the Dragon Quest series in general, or do some games take place in their own universes?
I'm no longer active on RHDN, but I keep coming back to troll, whee!

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2013, 02:55:00 pm »
I haven't even gotten around to the first one yet.  At this rate, I never will.

Just play System Shock 2 and don't worry about it.  BioShock might be prettier but it's dumbed down for the masses.

Spoiler:
AND YES I HAVE PLAYED BOTH I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

Now I'm curious - is there any continuity with the Dragon Quest series in general, or do some games take place in their own universes?

As I understand it...

DQ 1-3 are a trilogy with a continuing narrative.

DQ 4-6 are a trilogy of their own with a continuing narrative, but a break away from the first trilogy.  They are their own thing.

All DQ games after that (7-10) are independent stories unto themselves, with no narrative continuity between them.

Sarge can correct me if I'm wrong.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2013, 03:03:27 pm »
Dank's got it right.  The continuity is probably a bit stronger with the first trilogy, since everything ties into Erdrick's quest, the second is called the "Zenithian Trilogy", and pretty much finds you visiting the castle in the sky in all the games, but other than that, the second trilogy is relatively disconnected.  The others are pretty much their own beasts.

EDIT:  I'll also add that Dragon Warrior II is one of those games that I spent years looking for as a youngster.  Finding a copy of the game was a revelation at the time.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2013, 03:05:27 pm »
BioShock might be prettier but it's dumbed down for the masses.

It is not System Shock 3, but apart from that what's so bad about it? What does streamlining have to do with intelligence? I greatly enjoiyed Bioshock when it was released for the story and the fantastic setting. What else do you want from a FPS game?
All my posts are merely personal opinions and not statements of fact, even if they are not explicitly prefixed by "In my opinion", "IMO", "I believe", or similar modifiers. By reading this disclaimer you agree to reply in spirit of these conditions.

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2013, 03:11:32 pm »
It is not System Shock 3, but apart from that what's so bad about it? What does streamlining have to do with intelligence? I greatly enjoiyed Bioshock when it was released for the story and the fantastic setting. What else do you want from a FPS game?
It would be a good run-and-gun game if it just never had any story in it.  With the story it's pretty gross.  Still, the environments are interesting at least - not many videogames with an entirely underwater concept as their precept, much less underwater cities.  In all honesty, most FPSes would be fine if they were just about shooting things and not about trying to develop a reason for why you need to shoot them.  DooM pretty much proves this.

The Marathon trilogy is the only exception to the rule I can think of.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2013, 03:18:03 pm »
What else do you want from a FPS game?

You know damned well that System Shock 2 was more than just an "FPS game".

What do I want though?  Howabout difficulty for starters.  System Shock 2 was scary because you could die, easily.  But in Bioshock if you died?  No problem, just respawn at a Vita-Chamber ad infinitum, until you wear down all resistance by zombie attrition.  It's blatantly obvious this was done as a concession to make the game easier for people too unintelligent to handle actual difficulty.  Research and item synthesis is deeper in SS2, managing your inventory is tougher thus more rewarding in SS2, hacking was more interesting in SS2, the psi-power system was trickier due to the ability to overcharge and damage yourself... and let us not forget SHODAN.

I'm not saying BioShock sucks.  I'm just saying I don't think it's as challenging or as deep as SS2 was.

KaioShin

• View Profile
    • The Romhacking Aerie
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2013, 03:32:17 pm »
You know damned well that System Shock 2 was more than just an "FPS game".

And I was talking about Bioshock and not SS2. Sure the devs kinda begged for the comparison with the name, but in the end I'd rather judge the game on it's own merits than only by the shadow of it's spiritual predecesor.

The respawn thing is a fair point. Though in the end, what's the difference to reloading from a save or a checkpoint? Not much. On higher difficulty levels you still need to make full use of your abilities and you still need to look out for every bullet. IIRC they also later patched in a mode with no vita chamber. I wouldn't be surprised if Infinite had one from the beginning.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2013, 03:36:40 pm »
what's the difference to reloading from a save or a checkpoint? Not much.

If you reload in System Shock 2 the enemies' life is reset to where it was when you saved.  The odds are still not in your favor.

If you respawn in a Vita-Chamber in BioShock, any enemies' life you've attenuated nearby stays attenuated, even though your life is now back up to full.  The odds are now artificially in your favor.

IIRC they also later patched in a mode with no vita chamber.

To me that sounds like an admittance of game design failure.

The reason I consider BioShock a spiritual successor to System Shock 2 is because Ken Levine said it was.  And if his opinion doesn't count than what the hell does for those franchises.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy Infinite.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2013, 03:45:01 pm »
That's a nice compromise at least.

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2013, 06:14:07 pm »
If you reload in System Shock 2 the enemies' life is reset to where it was when you saved.  The odds are still not in your favor.

If you respawn in a Vita-Chamber in BioShock, any enemies' life you've attenuated nearby stays attenuated, even though your life is now back up to full.  The odds are now artificially in your favor.

To me that sounds like an admittance of game design failure.

The reason I consider BioShock a spiritual successor to System Shock 2 is because Ken Levine said it was.  And if his opinion doesn't count than what the hell does for those franchises.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy Infinite.

I could have sworn the Quantum Bio-reconstruction Devices did the same as the vita chambers, except with an upfront cost.
_-|-_

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2013, 06:51:43 pm »
They did, but there use was finite due to being based on a scant resource.

Now hush up about all that.

Spooniest

• Ain't got no berf cer-fi-ti-cate on me now
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2013, 07:23:02 pm »
I got a new monitor for my computer from a guy on craigslist. It's so nice to be able to see the games I'm playing.
I never wanted to work in a pet shop, you know. I wanted to be...a lumberjack.

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2013, 07:28:00 pm »
Only game I'm looking forward to in 2013 is Secrets of Grindea at the moment.  I would preorder the game but there's no option to do that on Steam.  Secret of Mana in an online capacity sounds like the best thing.  The fact that it's using sprites is just icing on the cake.  A delicious, item-collect-a-thon cake.  And yes, I don't mind grindy, collect-y games, as long as the action's engrossing (Dark Souls argument invoked).

Next Gen Cowboy

• "People are like dice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2013, 07:46:13 pm »
I've beaten both Bioshock 1 and 2, and I've never used vita-chambers in either game. They're not forced on you, and there's options to turn them off in the PS3 version, as well as a patch for PC for 1, and it's a built in option in 2. Gameplay wise I vastly prefer Bioshock 2, but there's still something lacking for me. That said, I know plenty of people that thoroughly enjoy the series, who have played System Shock, so to each their own.

I'm looking forward to quite a bit, how much of it will I actually get to play? I'm not sure. SMTIV is probably a no-go as I lack a DS. New Disgaea is always a purchase for me. Yakuza 5 (assuming it gets released in the West) is a day 1 purchase. Last game I bought was Ni no Kuni. Why am I bragging? Because I feel like a little kid again, and if that doesn't excite you, that's fine, but let me revel in it!  :P
"Remember when we were in Japan? You said you were my gun, if you're the gun then that means I'm the bullet."

"All my life I've been waiting for the gunpowder to go off, you know what you need to ignite gunpowder? You need a gun."

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2013, 07:51:37 pm »
If SMTIV is good, I'm probably getting a 3DS.  Unfortunately, at that point I also have to get FE:Awakening, Etrian Odyssey IV, and probably Super Mario 3DLand.

I really wish developers would dump their damn platforms and just move to a PC everything model, so that you don't need to buy extra hardware just to play a game, and you don't need to keep extra hardware around to play the game again.  How is it that movie publishers figured this out so early but videogame publishers didn't!?  :banghead: