News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Your most recent gaming purchase?  (Read 38957 times)

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
Re: Your most recent gaming purchase?
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2013, 02:55:06 pm »
Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen

I've seen you mention this game so often that I'm legitimately interested in playing it now.  But what version do you recommend of it, the SNES or the PlayStation?

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2013, 03:05:49 pm »
SNES version is recommended, being technical impressive for the system and having no loading times is imo superior to minimal better graphics and music on the PSX.
There are no real differences story- and gameplay-wise if I recall right.

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2013, 03:24:51 pm »
I'm not sure there's a huge difference.  I do know, however, that it's easier to get hold of a complete PSX copy than a complete SNES copy, if you're looking to go the legit route.  That's the version I happen to own.  I've never actually run across the SNES cart in the wild.
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

MegaManJuno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2013, 04:42:21 pm »
As for the music... Overall, I think it sounded better on the SNES. The PS1 soundtrack has the bass mixed in too heavy from what I recall, and it drowns out the rest of the track in some cases.

I do know of at least 1 glitch on the SNES one that I'm not sure is resolved on the PS1. There was at least 1 NPC whose dialog gets screwed up, displaying gibberish & blank pages... but doesn't really affect the game otherwise, to my knowledge.

The PS1 version adds waypoint capabilities when directing your troops. It's a nice addition, if ultimately unnecessary. If you're playing on real hardware, the PS1 version also adds saving mid-battle. If emulating, this won't really matter due to save state capabilities.

There are definite load times on the PS1 between battles, which can get old fast. Also, while I believe some of the spell effects may have been redone on the PS1, there's one thing during battle that irks me.  The full battle screen on the PS1 is slightly wider than the display. So it now scrolls a little back and forth as each side makes its attacks. This just serves to ultimately slow down battles even more, on top of the load times.

For my money, I'd stick with the SNES version.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2013, 07:52:42 pm »
Also, seriously, why are all the female characters in Persona 3 Portable written so much better that their male equivalents?
Because it's Persona. I don't know very much about P3, and I only know P4 from my friends rambling about it and reading hiimdaisy's comics, but seriously, the females are just too badass compared to the males.

I think the only males I actually like are P1's MC, Jun Kurosu, and from what little I know of him, Kanji Tatsumi.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

Pikachumanson

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2013, 08:49:59 pm »
Halo Reach

MisterJones

• :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2013, 09:30:27 pm »
I've seen you mention this game so often that I'm legitimately interested in playing it now.  But what version do you recommend of it, the SNES or the PlayStation?

You haven't played Ogre Battle? Oh man, you are misisng in a really fine strategy game. My only grieve is the lack of mouse support.
_-|-_

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2013, 10:04:06 pm »
You haven't played Ogre Battle? Oh man, you are misisng in a really fine strategy game.

No I haven't played it yet.  So many games, so little time, you know.  Considering its lineage I have no doubt it's great though.

And thank you MMJ for the detailed information, SNES version it is then.

Isao Kronos

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2013, 10:16:51 pm »
Last physical game: Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 and Dragon's Dogma from christmas
last general purchase: 360 VGA cable

MegaManJuno

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Robot Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2013, 10:36:03 pm »

No problem. I still end up naming PC hardware after stuff from that game. ;) Also, I did end up importing the Disaster game for Wii, based on your review. Haven't played it yet, but there's that...

Otherwise, I picked up Ys Seven for PSP used, fairly cheap and playing it now. Also, in that same trip, found a used copy of the Wii Godfather: Blackhand Edition. Lastly, picked up Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One for PS3.

Think that pretty much covers it for my acquisitions in the past couple of weeks.

granz

• View Profile
    • granz' corner
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2013, 01:01:18 am »
Dragon Warrior for NES. It recently occurred to me that I haven't completed a single game from the Dragon Quest series. I figured I may as well start with the first and see if I have any interest from there.

Talk about a grind fest. The plot details are scarce, and the only thing you essentially need to do to finish the game is collect a handful of key items. Reaching those items is another story. Every time you cross a bridge, you're slaughtered by enemies 10 or 20 times more powerful than you. You have to waste hours level grinding just so you can walk to the next town. Unfortunately, the grinding isn't limited to experience levels. Equipment upgrades are ridiculously overpriced, and enemies drop nominal amounts of gold. It took me probably two hours just to collect just enough gold to outfit myself with sub-par items at the beginning of the game, only to find out they're obsolete by the time I reach the next town.

Here I am with the Broad Sword, Full Plate armor and Large Shield, (the best equipment options available at this point) and I still can't defeat that god awful Axe Knight guarding an essential key item in Hauksness. Looks like I'll have to waste about 4 more hours getting my warrior to level 15 or 16, even though I just finished a grind session merely so I could reach Hauksness in the first place.

Is the rest of the series anything like this?
I'm no longer active on RHDN, but I keep coming back to troll, whee!

Talbain

• Moo.
    • View Profile
    • et tu gamer
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2013, 01:09:25 am »
No I haven't played it yet.  So many games, so little time, you know.  Considering its lineage I have no doubt it's great though.

I'll also recommend the SNES version.  It's a game that really suffers when you start needing load times for stuff, same as Tactics Ogre.  Content-wise, the games are the same.  It was much more popular in Japan than it was here, which is why it got a Saturn and Playstation port (so many great Saturn games that never made it here...).

March 05, 2013, 01:23:18 am - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
Because it's Persona. I don't know very much about P3, and I only know P4 from my friends rambling about it and reading hiimdaisy's comics, but seriously, the females are just too badass compared to the males.

I think the only males I actually like are P1's MC, Jun Kurosu, and from what little I know of him, Kanji Tatsumi.
I rather like Akihiko's character, but he's seriously silly (though I've met some people similar to his character as written).  The rest of the males are pretty off-putting though.  It's not that they're written poorly, it's just that they aren't interesting as characters.  Anyway, again, really like Saori as a character, shows real growth and a lot of bravery.  I like that Persona 3 Portable also avoids the "women hate other women" trope.  Aigis is interesting too, but in the same way that Labrys is interesting in Persona 4 Arena.  There's an interesting discussion available about the human spirit in the face of circumstance.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 01:23:18 am by Talbain »

Lilinda

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2013, 01:53:40 am »
I got El Shaddai earlier today for three bucks.

Holy shit this game.
Retired moderator/staff member as of July 14th 2016

Dr. Mario

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2013, 04:05:06 am »
Blaster Master, and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 for the SNES. The purchase lead me to start actually putting together a small vintage gaming area in my apartment, which then inspired me to start building my NES collection. Right now it's sitting in at a modest 55 or so games, but I'm hoping to get my hands on a lot more.
What is a man? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me, no more.

vivify93

• Submission Reviewer
  • Guardian of Mystery
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2013, 06:53:58 am »
Not as bad, no, but DQ in general is kind of grindy. The GBC versions are easier and faster; I know it's too late now since you actually bought Dragon Warrior, but you might want to keep that in mind if you ever replay, or even if you want to play the GBC remakes for II and III.
All my life I've tried to fight what history has given me.

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2013, 08:25:31 am »
I did end up importing the Disaster game for Wii, based on your review.

Well I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  Even when the game falters under its own pretense, you can't help but admire its gusto.

About two years ago, I also chose to beat Dragon Quest I as my first Dragon Quest to finish.  However, I went with the Game Boy Color version of it due to these differences:  http://dragonquest.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Quest_I_%26_II

I must say, I had a fun time with the GBC remake of the first game, but I doubt I would have enjoyed the NES version as much.  Since you have a DS Lite now, if you're interested in trying the GBC version of II but not sure if it's worth the cash, there's always: http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/emulators/download-lameboy-ds-012-f5597.html

The series does IMO get better and better as you go on.  I had a great time with the remake of part IV on the DS.  Overall though, from my understanding, the best Dragon Quest game is part V for the DS.  Followed closely by VIII on the PS2, and IX on the DS.

Man where is Sarge when you need him, he is the resident DQ overlord.

I'll also recommend the SNES version.

Agreed once more then.  Liberation!

Zetshiro

• Rainbow!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2013, 08:44:40 am »
I bought Virtue's Last Reward very recently. It's still sealed because I want to play through 999 again.

Other than that, I bought a PS2 RGB SCART cable as Composite-to-HDTV hurts my eyes. The difference is so great!

SargeSmash

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2013, 12:26:55 pm »
Man where is Sarge when you need him, he is the resident DQ overlord.
Maybe...  I'm the Dragonlord;)

Dragon Warrior for the NES is probably the worst place to start.  I know it's the first...  but that's the problem.  There's not much to it, it's incredibly grind-heavy, and while it's amazing for what it did in the day, it has been surpassed by nearly everything on the system.  If you have to play a version, take either the GBC or SNES versions.  (All that being said, I still have a soft spot for the game, it was my first RPG.  But I'm not blind to its flaws.)

The series shows marked improvement in the second game.  Much larger world, more enemies, three party members, more spells, and so on.  You still may want to try the GBC / SNES version for that, I think they've adjusted the difficulty curve a bit.  I don't think the game was nearly as grind-heavy, either.  I'd say the original Final Fantasy is probably a touch better than DW2, but not by a lot.

DW3 is where the series really shines.  I love that game.  It's important to play the first, in retrospect, because it gives much more heft to the story, such as it is.  You've also got many more strategic options, as you can build your own party, and there are eight classes in total (Hero, Soldier, Fighter, Merchant, Pilgrim, Wizard, Sage, and Goof-Off).  It's just a great, great game, in any form.  I've played through the NES and GBC versions (which add new classes on top of those mentioned, and new weapons and personality stuff as well), but the SNES version is pretty.  You'd probably want to roll that way.

Dragon Warrior IV is also great, but at this point, it's another game that's a bit better on the DS, simply for pacing concerns.  Not that DWIV is bad, of course.  It's great, just the DS version helps with some folks that might not appreciate the slower pace of the NES version.

This advice holds pretty much true for Dragon Warrior V as well.  There are multiple ways to play it.  I wasn't particularly smitten by the SNES version, but the DS one was aces.  There's also a PS2 version that has been translated.  If I ever get the itch to play the game again, it'll probably be through that.  Everything's polygonal, though, which makes me miss the phenomenal spritework in battle.

You've got two options for DQVI, SNES and DS.  I really enjoyed both, and they exhibit the least amount of differences.  I'd probably roll with the DS version, though, seeing as how the translation for that is completely finished.

Dragon Warrior VII is long.  Really long.  There's a 3DS remake now, hopefully we'll get it.  I loved the game, but it's one of the slowest in level pacing, if not actual plot pacing.  That gets moving pretty fast beyond the opening sequence.

Dragon Quest VIII is PS2-only, and it's a really, really pretty game.  Great fun.  There's some reduction of strategic depth, ditching the class systems in V-VII.  But the localization is superb, and we even get rockin' British voice acting and a actual symphonic soundtrack.

Dragon Quest IX is...  well, it's fun, but it's also very different.  You can play traditionally, but there's also a push towards mini-quests along the way, and an almost MMO-lite feel to it.  It's a bit of a bridge between the previous games and the MMO they just released (curse their sorry hides!).  Fun stuff, but not as good as the DS remakes, in my opinion.

...wall of text.  Yeesh.  You'd think I liked Dragon Quest or something.

EDIT:  I should say which I think is the best, shouldn't I?  That's...  actually not easy.  I think for the most emotionally poignant tale, you have to roll with DQV.  For gameplay, I think DQVI ends up being one of my favorites.  For interesting characters, DQIV is great.  DQIII is great for delving into the backstory of the original trilogy.  DQII is good if you want a challenge, at least in the NES version.  For sheer mass of content, DQVII is tops, and for sheer spectacle, DQVIII is the one to roll with.  It's definitely the most modern.  And finally, if you like some of the MMO-ish mechanics (and more puns than you can shake a stick at), Dragon Quest IX is the best.

That leaves out the original, but it's still important from a historical standpoint.  Play the faster versions, and it becomes an enjoyable snack of a RPG.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:33:05 pm by SargeSmash »
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?  -- Mark 8:36

Zetshiro

• Rainbow!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2013, 12:41:00 pm »
...but the SNES version is pretty.  You'd probably want to roll that way.

Agreed! It's absolutely beautiful and very impressive considering it's a Super Nintendo game, and those enemy animations are so smooth it's insane! :laugh:

The music and sound quality is also fantastic, it really pushed the boundaries of the SPC700.

Dragon Quest III was my first Dragon Quest, and I really enjoyed it. I then finished 1, and I now want to tackle 4 next...

DankPanties

• retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2013, 12:46:12 pm »
That leaves out the original, but it's still important from a historical standpoint.  Play the faster versions, and it becomes an enjoyable snack of a RPG.

Exactly how I feel.  I beat the original DQ GBC version in like 15 hours.  I had a lot of fun with it, and it was quite charming. I know if I played the NES version I would have hated it though.