News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: How to present ROM Hacking Installation  (Read 2367 times)

DungeonShaker

• View Profile
How to present ROM Hacking Installation
« on: April 17, 2012, 11:49:29 am »
Hey guys,

So I have been working on some ROM Hacks for Castlevania and Super Mario Brothers for an installation at my college.  We have to present our projects for open studio, my project being a combination of the hacks and some image glitches.  How should I go about presenting the games?  I am working on a macbook pro with Nestopia, however I could always put them on a PC with a bigger emulator capable of fullscreen.   Should I leave them up and allow people to play them?  Or should I make my own videos by capturing video from the emulation?  What have you guys done in the past for showcasing your stuff?  Any ideas?

Gideon Zhi

• IRC Staff
    • View Profile
    • Aeon Genesis
Re: How to present ROM Hacking Installation
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 12:32:53 pm »
I would argue that you're creating a game, even if it's based on someone else's game, and unless you're doing something really different with your hacks, a game is meant to be played and should be treated as such in a public exhibit.

DungeonShaker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 06:47:17 pm »
Good point.  I'll probably set them up on a computer with a folder that people can chose which games to play and try to run them with a fullscreen emulator. 

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 09:17:17 am »
On the other hand, if you've done some really cool stuff that's even a little too far into the game, most people may never get far enough to see it.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Nerd42

• View Profile
    • DJ Nerd42
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 10:04:55 am »
There should be a way to make a shortcut that opens the emulator and loads a specific save state you've set up

DungeonShaker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 11:33:34 am »
Well I fucked with the entire game, but I swapped around the level structure, so I will probably let them run it from the top.

henke37

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 08:30:12 am »
You should probably also include some paper documentation that explains both the original game and your changes.