News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: What's this SNES cart and can it be used for dumping roms?  (Read 6054 times)

RyanfaeScotland

• View Profile
    • My Brill Game Site
What's this SNES cart and can it be used for dumping roms?
« on: April 03, 2012, 06:35:37 pm »

I'm interested in the cart in the middle, to the right of SMW. My friend says it is an adaptor for playing foreign games which I accept given the foreign cart above it but why is there some sort of connector coming out of the side? Anyone saw this cart before and / or know what uses it can be put to other than playing games from different regions?

(I know I haven't posted in years but saw this and it flared up my interest again)

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
Re: What's this SNES cart and can it be used for dumping roms?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 07:28:56 pm »
Those help break NTSC lockout on a PAL console. However it obviously doesn't change video mode. The games will be forced into PAL they weren't intended for...

They usually do NOT work trying the opposite, because PAL games often block 60hz.

Also notice its narrow cartridge connector. That one doesn't support Super FX or other enhanced games.

RyanfaeScotland

• View Profile
    • My Brill Game Site
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 03:00:20 am »
Those help break NTSC lockout on a PAL console...

How so? Do you need to plug something into the side or does it's mere presence on the cart do it?

Even if it isn't the greatest of adaptors I'm going to trade it for a few games anyway since it looks like an interesting piece of kit.

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 03:20:30 am »
Lockout is loaded from the side slot. Put a cartridge matching your console region there. The import goes on top.

Either way I very much recommend getting NTSC games running. PAL SNES didn't get some of the good ones. :(

RyanfaeScotland

• View Profile
    • My Brill Game Site
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 04:39:08 am »
I thought that was how it was going to work but it looks like the weight of putting a cart in the side will snap the connector off. I guess not though since here we are, 20 years later and it is still attached.

Thanks for the info. :)

MontyMole

• No fun in the USA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 10:36:15 am »
Had one of those to play imports back in the day. Just as tc said, you put your import cart on the top, added your PAL SNES game on the side and hoped when you switched on that it would actually play.   

Either way I very much recommend getting NTSC games running. PAL SNES didn't get some of the good ones

Thats quite right even with an adaptor like that, FF6 would glitch like crazy.  I remember Superplay magazine putting a guide to the ending to FF6 in the magazine as even with the best ones it would cut out halfway through the ending and of course in those days they didn't port across RPGs to Europe (our first FF was FF7.)  I forget what other stuff would not play ball through import, I think Capcom stuff but that normally got localized here.
A log of some kind.
. Videuss (Youtube)
it's not the official way and relies on luck\randomized placement of bears. USC

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 11:27:15 am »
The card you have there is probably the Action replay version or Action replay 2 version (it is if it has a little switch on the left in that pic). It can be used to input cheat codes as well.

A youtube review in german...sorry

There some other versions around the world that do just what the other guys say.
What you say about the weight, is not really correct. The SNES cardridge has 50+ pins so the "fall off" thing is a bit difficult but actually there is a problem with the contacts. If you just touched lightly the snes or the construction on it, you get glitches or crashes and this more ofter if the adapter was plugged in and out often (older adapter).
To not have this problem, there was another famous adapter around without the cheat function called "Honeybee":

About the price, I would say it sells probably around 5-10$

RyanfaeScotland

• View Profile
    • My Brill Game Site
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 11:49:08 am »
Will let you know which it is once I actually get it and flip it over :)

I'm just trading a few duplicate's from my Master System collection for it so not that bothered about the price, the games are more use to him than me and this is more use to me than him so a swap makes sense. Saying that I met him today and gave him the games but he forgot the cart so not sure when I'll actually get it. ::)

marioxb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 12:40:35 pm »
I've actually got a simlar question regarding the Super Famicom Nintendo Power official blank cartridge. It was used in Japan for legal loading of roms from convenice stores, similar to the Famicom Disk System. There were Nintendo Power carts for GB and SNES (SFC). Anyway, I have the SFC cart (with I think Mario All-Stars, Mario Kart and Mario World Japanese versions loaded on it) and was wondering if there was any way with today's crazy technology, to rewrite to the cart? Anyone know?

tc

• Lum Fan
    • View Profile
    • Eon Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 02:52:25 pm »
Not sure, info likely isn't released to the public if known. Nintendo Power and Satellaview carts would be ripe for pirates once uncovered.

Auryn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 12:57:54 am »
I believe Nintendo made sure that the card could only be flashed with some special key.
It would be stupid to produce a product that allow to pirate the games on your console without any protection.
Anyway there are many home made cards or transformation guides in the net to make one yourself (without protection :p)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 01:03:26 am »
I recall that d4s once posted a pic of a hacked Satellaview setup he used for development purposes, but I don't think he ever released the details.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

ChronoMoogle

• Super Famicom all the way.
    • View Profile
    • SNESfreaks
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 05:49:02 pm »
The keymechanics for working, self-flasehd games on satellaview are already discovered by ikari and seru-kun from the snesfreaks irc channel.
http://wiki.superfamicom.org/snes/show/Satellaview+%28Meta%29

If you build yourself a setup for doing this, always make sure to dump whatever is on the cartridge first. You could probably destroy some undumped data if you overwrite the flashcard.

vx

• View Profile
    • SNES VX TRANSLATIONS
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 01:30:37 am »
@RyanfaeScotland I have the SWC DX2 copier and the Tototek Programmer to dump ROMs, though today I have no need for it. If you wanted a SNES ROM dumper then get the tototek card + programmer: http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=39&zenid=lqg8ao504eto9vga8sb2715p12

I've actually got a simlar question regarding the Super Famicom Nintendo Power official blank cartridge. It was used in Japan for legal loading of roms from convenice stores, similar to the Famicom Disk System. There were Nintendo Power carts for GB and SNES (SFC). Anyway, I have the SFC cart (with I think Mario All-Stars, Mario Kart and Mario World Japanese versions loaded on it) and was wondering if there was any way with today's crazy technology, to rewrite to the cart? Anyone know?

@marioxb with all the modern SNES Flash carts like the PowerPak etc. why bother? May as well buy a new and bigger flash cart unless I am missing something?
"A hack of all trades but a master of none"

VX