News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Dai Kaijuu Monogatari... Any takers?  (Read 7742 times)

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
Dai Kaijuu Monogatari... Any takers?
« on: March 22, 2012, 12:36:13 pm »
This is just a heads up that I posted my work on this in the Abandoned section. I don't think it notifies anyone so I figured I would make a post. The translation is pretty much done and a LOT of the hacking. Some of the more technical aspects of byuu's work have gone past my time and expertise. If a more advanced hacker picked it up this game could be finished in a week probably. Any takers? If you have questions about the files let me know.

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
Re: Dai Kaijuu Monogatari... Any takers?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 12:53:52 pm »
It's so close but the technical aspect has gone beyond my (DaMarsMan) capabilities.

What exactly do you mean by this? If it's really so close to completion I might take a look.

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 12:56:49 pm »
I've never really done 8x8 VWF and byuu has about 3 different VWF implemented in this game. There are some menus he didn't finish the coding for. I coded an auto-wrapping formatter for the script. The script stuff seems to be good it's just some menu tweaks and grammar edits.

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 01:01:23 pm »
Okay, doesn't seem too bad. So if nobody else volunteers I'll give it a try.

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 02:36:35 pm »
Is it like almost done? I'm working on another Birthday game right now, but this is another one I want done sooner or later - I simply love these guys ).
What about those Sansara and GranHistoria games we were trying to take like a long time ago? )

DaMarsMan

• Bring DQV
    • View Profile
    • DQ Translations!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 02:45:23 pm »
Sansara 2 was an embedded pointer nightmare but I think I can finish it. GranHistoria was somebody else I think... I don't remember that.

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 02:50:20 pm »
Sansara 2 was an embedded pointer nightmare but I think I can finish it. GranHistoria was somebody else I think... I don't remember that.
Well, if automatic insertion is too tough I can try doing it string-wise... As I remember, there were lotsa menu problems and the game froze in places (probably due to insertion). As for Historia - we were talking about probable start of the game 2 or 1 ) Don't bother though)
Anyway, you should have my icq number and gmail somewhere)

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 01:50:52 am »
GranHistoria, I think was once one of Gideon's projects, but it seems it's long been abandoned (off the list, I guess, means he doesn't plan to come back to it some year. :) )
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

RedScorpion

• View Profile
    • Snes-Projects
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 05:09:59 am »
Has someone finished this project yet?!

I would like to know which things are note finished?!

thanks

red

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 05:28:16 am »
I intend to finish the project, but not without improving upon a lot of its flaws (both of the hacking's and the original game's). There are still some bugs in byuu's code (VRAM writes outside vblank, and some other stuff). Furthermore, there are some things I'd like to reimplement in order to improve the game's user experience. For example, a lot of things are very slow (e.g. transition to the battle screen) or not very responsive (menus). The game basically has the worst decompression routine ever to "grace" the SNES.

However, I have a lot of other projects to finish, so if someone wants take over I won't stop him and can even give him some advice.

Merta

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 12:00:39 pm »
I am one of those people who will be looking forward to the finished product, as a big fan of SNES console RPGs. I wish you good luck LostTemplar in the hopes that I'll see the game in a fully translated form hosted on the main site sometime soon. It's very good to know that someone is working on this.

Bongo`

• Hatred is an illness...I feel your pain.
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 12:29:57 pm »
I intend to finish the project, but not without improving upon a lot of its flaws (both of the hacking's and the original game's). There are still some bugs in byuu's code (VRAM writes outside vblank, and some other stuff). Furthermore, there are some things I'd like to reimplement in order to improve the game's user experience. For example, a lot of things are very slow (e.g. transition to the battle screen) or not very responsive (menus). The game basically has the worst decompression routine ever to "grace" the SNES.

However, I have a lot of other projects to finish, so if someone wants take over I won't stop him and can even give him some advice.
  I simply hate 8x8 VWF routines so starting from scratch would be a definite must hacking wise.
And if I am not mistaken, the script was inserted uncompressed and in an expanded  section of the ROM. Also things I don't like to bother with unless I did it in my way. But man is it tempting to work on...
R.I.P Rose Mary C. 11/20/1937 - 2/11/2007
Dynamic-Designs Over 30 years of video game experience!
Completed: Doraemon RPG, Fuzzical Fighter, Gulliver Boy, Just Breed, FEDA, Mystic Ark, Slayers ( Co-op ), Lennus-II
Current: Aretha-2 and many more...

Butz_san

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 12:13:59 am »
I can help with the spanish version of the game is someone else translate the game to english :)
@Dark Devils Translations Forever :)
Bringing you translations since 2003-2013 :)

Bongo`

• Hatred is an illness...I feel your pain.
    • View Profile
    • Dynamic Designs
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2013, 03:00:29 pm »
I can help with the spanish version of the game is someone else translate the game to english :)
  The game is already in english and done well. The script could be split into individual files as well and worked on. Maybe you can find a haker and you can release it in your own format.
R.I.P Rose Mary C. 11/20/1937 - 2/11/2007
Dynamic-Designs Over 30 years of video game experience!
Completed: Doraemon RPG, Fuzzical Fighter, Gulliver Boy, Just Breed, FEDA, Mystic Ark, Slayers ( Co-op ), Lennus-II
Current: Aretha-2 and many more...

kristigurl

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 10:58:28 am »
I know this thread is quite old, but I didn't think this warrented a new thread. I have been doing a bit of my own editing to the script, I hope no one minds. I originally just thought the stamp collecting segments needed more flair but now I might go through the whole script, also it would be great if some one with some hacking experience would pick this project up, I would love to see it finished, with or without my edits.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 11:54:04 am »
Dynamic Designs has been working on both the game and its sequel for awhile now.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

kristigurl

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 09:42:17 am »
Ah, I feel silly now, I some how didn't realize that Super Shell Monsters Story was this game... I think I might still edit this script though for my own amusement/practice, since I do want to get into editing scripts for readability.