News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Some gaijin stuff...  (Read 9504 times)

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
Re: Some gaijin stuff...
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 03:18:45 pm »
This is a bit off topic, but just for the record, as an American ex-pat trying to move his way up through the ranks in Japanese society, "foreigner speak" tends to irk me a bit. McDonalds had an ad campaign here a few years ago revolving around an American named "Mr. James" who "blogged" about stuff using katakana for kanji -- because naturally as foreigners our ignorance of kanji is so strong that it disables kanji conversion in Japanese IMEs. 「外国人をなめてんじゃねえよ、このくそぼけ!」って言いたくなるよなぁ。
Ah yes, I must admit to being a little eye-rolly every time I see katakana-speak.

(FWIW, in high school, katakana was the thing that got the most complaints in the first year of high-school Japanese....)
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 03:34:34 pm »
That's understandable. Especially text that's almost entirely in katakana is a bitch to read. It's just that it usually is 'reserved' for single (often foreign) words so you don't get as much practice reading it, I guess.

While cliché foreigner speak certainly is quite exaggerated and face palm worthy, to be honest, most Western foreigners that I've met in Japan (mostly exchange students, though) really did suck at kanji. But their Japanese wasn't that good, either. Most people I know that are good/fluent in Japanese have no problems with kanji. It's just that a lot of Japanese people think that their language is pretty much unlearnable by non-natives, which of course is nowhere near the truth.

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 02:14:55 am »
I don't think that will ever go away. My Japanese isn't nearly as good as yours yet, but it's pretty good for a foreigner. Most Japanese people tended to be shocked when I could speak with correct grammar, let alone tell them that I could write kanji, or read about 800 of them.

I never get this reaction and I feel like I'm missing out on something. People never seem shocked or amazed that I can speak Japanese and read/write kanji. They just kind of accept it. I never get "Oh wow your Japanese is so good!", or "You can read Kanji? That's amazing!". I get no praise whatsoever. I just get memos dropped on my desk and documents that need handing in by the end of the week.  :-\

Just once I'd like someone to go all rock-star-groupie over me for stringing a basic sentence together.

Oh but my friends, family and workmates simply love it when I mispronounce something or use a word/grammar form in an odd way. I still get shit for stuff I screwed up months ago. Remember that time you said spider when you meant cloud? Or that other time you pronounced Tan-Tan Men that funny way? No? Well I do, that shit was hilarious!

And people wonder why I drink  :'(
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 02:27:24 am by geishaboy »

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 02:42:19 am »
Oh wow, you drink, that is so salaryman! ;D
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 02:48:39 am »
Oh wow, you drink, that is so salaryman! ;D

I know right. All I need now is a pair of glasses and a crippling pachinko addiction.

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 03:59:16 am »
In my experience, that's the best compliment you can get, when they start to actually correct/make fun of you, and stop telling you that your Japanese is so awesome. Then they think you're actually up to it. How often have I heard 上手ですね when all somebody did was saying こんにちは or something like that.

It's weird though that you weren't told at all. At least people you meet the first time are often surprised. But I can only speak from the perspective of an exchange student as I never worked in Japan. Maybe it's different then.

I can relate to that example, thought. I remember when I wanted to go eat カレー and somebody said "You mean カレー". "Didn't I say that?" - "No, you said 鰈(かれい)". Hate that accent stuff.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 04:04:46 am by LostTemplar »

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2012, 07:03:14 pm »
I never get this reaction and I feel like I'm missing out on something. People never seem shocked or amazed that I can speak Japanese and read/write kanji. They just kind of accept it. I never get "Oh wow your Japanese is so good!", or "You can read Kanji? That's amazing!". I get no praise whatsoever. I just get memos dropped on my desk and documents that need handing in by the end of the week.  :-\

Just once I'd like someone to go all rock-star-groupie over me for stringing a basic sentence together.
Be thankful. It always feels like they're being condescending. And it's usually only them being polite. I joined the Music Club at a local university when I stayed in Hikone, and NONE of the students acted that way. In fact, I always felt like I was an outsider and that only knew roughly 50% of what was going on. And my two friends that I brought with me had even less of a clue. T_T

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 09:52:18 am »
You have three options.

Laugh it off, let it make you bitter, or exploit it.  ::)

I'll take option three. :)
Sign THIS!