News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Some gaijin stuff...  (Read 10727 times)

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
Some gaijin stuff...
« on: March 16, 2012, 01:08:21 am »
There some lines in the game I'm working on possibly delivered by a foreigner... I would appreciate some clear translation of these, if anyone can...
1. アナタ ギブミ- クレル
ワタシ ヨッポルピ- アゲル/FF

2. ヒヒン スミになにかあるよ

3. アナタ スポッパ クレル
ワタシ アッチチ アゲル/FF

4. オウ スポッパ
ハイ アッチチ
アッチチハ ヤケドノクサ/FF

5. オウ コレゾギブミ- チョコレート<p>ハイ ヨッポルピ-
ヨッポルピ- ジッポノアブラネ/FF

6. オ- ビュ-チフルガ-ル!
アナタ カ-ミ シンジマスカ?/FE

7. ゲンナイ ヤケドノクサ カラ
ヤケドノクスり ツクル/FF

Thanks in advance!

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
Re: Some gaijin stuff...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 01:37:27 am »
Those are kinda hard to make sense of. If I knew what ヨッポルピー was, a lot of them would make more sense.

However, six is "Hey, beautiful girl! Do you believe in God?"

And seven, I dunno what ゲンナイ is, but it's a stupid pun about how you can make burn medicine from burnt grass.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 01:59:10 am »
Gennai is the name of the character, from what I can tell.
Yopporupi must mean some oil.
Gibumi must be some sweets. (although translated as "Give me"...)
Achichi - that's the burnt grass in the end...
Supoppa means a cigarette.
I just wonder how to translate those, as I dunno the origin of the words... I can only guess that "Achichi" must be sth like "HOOOOT"...

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 04:31:06 am »
It's full of stupid puns. I guess キブミー might be "give me". ゲンナイ seems to be some kind of pharmaceutical business, maybe that's referenced here.

The only sentence I can translate without totally guessing is

6. オ- ビュ-チフルガ-ル!
アナタ カ-ミ シンジマスカ?/FE

Oh, beautiful girl!
Do you believe in god?

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 09:09:39 am »
This character explains what they're talking about... It's not too hard to figure out if you just listen to what the character says.
They explain all of the words, which seem like nonsense at first... Just look at the grammar, and the meaning is as plain as day.
You're going to be kicking yourselves for not figuring it out yourselves it after I explain it. :)

1. アナタ ギブミ- クレル
ワタシ ヨッポルピ- アゲル/FF

1. You give me GiveMe.
I give you Yopporpy.

(Kureru is used when somebody gives you something... Basically, this character is asking you to give him (it?) "GiveMe."
You're not supposed to know what GiveMe is at this point.
Ageru is when you give something to somebody else... Basically, this character will give -you- "Yopporpy."
Again, you're not supposed to know what that is, either.)

2. ヒヒン スミになにかあるよ
Hee hee... Somethin's in the corner!

(This is pretty straight forward. Don't know why people can't figure it out.)

3. アナタ スポッパ クレル
ワタシ アッチチ アゲル/FF
You give me Supoppa.
I give you Acchichi.

(Again, it follows the same grammatical pattern as #1.
Acchichi is usually used when you get burned, but in #4 the character will tell you the real meaning.)

4. オウ スポッパ
ハイ アッチチ
アッチチハ ヤケドノクサ/FF

Oh! Supoppa!
Here's your Acchichi.
Acchichi's an herb for burns.

(Acchichi wa... "Yakedo" (a burn injury) no "Kusa" (grass, or herb)... An herb for burns, not burnt herbs.
The character himself actually translates here for you that Acchichi is his name for that herb item.
Hai usually means "yes," but it is often used to mean "Here you are..." You hand something to somebody and say "Hai," as in... Go ahead and take it.)

5. オウ コレゾギブミ- チョコレート<p>ハイ ヨッポルピ-
ヨッポルピ- ジッポノアブラネ/FF

Oh, this is it! "GiveMe" Chocolate!<p>Here's Yopporpy!
Yopporpy's Zippo Oil, see?

(Now you see that the "GiveMe" he wanted is actually something called GiveMe Chocolate! (Must be a special brand!)
Now that you gave him the GiveMe that he asked for, he gives you Yopporpy, which he explains is actually "Zippo Oil."
Zippo's spelled a little differently than the official Zippo... No vowel extension... Maybe to avoid using the real name?)

6. オ- ビュ-チフルガ-ル!
アナタ カ-ミ シンジマスカ?/FE

Oh, beautiful girl!
Do you beliiieve in God?

(Since extending the word God turns makes it look like Good, I would recommend extending beliiiieve to get the same effect.

7. ゲンナイ ヤケドノクサ カラ
ヤケドノクスり ツクル/FF

Gennai makes burn medicine
from that herb for burns.

(Not sure what Gennai is in the game, but I found online that there is an actual pharmaceutical company called Gennai.
Maybe this is a reference to that company. Gennai takes that herb for burns and turns it into a medicine...
Maybe the next step in the game is to bring the "Acchichi" to Gennai.)

Only one thing still remains unclear to me... What is Supoppa? Guess you'd have to play the game to know.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:19:50 am by Tom »

Romsstar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2012, 09:15:02 am »
it could also MAYBE refer to http://www.geneye.com/
At least there are some Maids and stuff, so there could be SOME Reference, I didn't really check any further.

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 09:22:54 am »
I doubt it's that "cyber comix" website, Romsstar...

It's more likely something to do with this...

http://www.gennai-seiyaku.co.jp/products.html

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 09:35:33 am »
Yeah, that's the company that I meant.

What the sentences mean in principle was clear I think, it's more a question of what ヨッポルピ-, スポッパ etc. are intended to be. Seeing that ギブミー, アッチチ and so on are obviously some puns, the remaining ones should be puns too, I guess.

Also, couldn't the elongated syllable in カーミ just be a fake gaijin accent? It doesn't seem to occur in the other sentences, but still.

Kinda reminds me of the gaijin guy in Shadow Hearts: From the new world.

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 12:46:13 pm »
That's exactly what I mean - I have no idea how to deliver those Yopporupi things, as they must be based on sth... By supoppa he means a cigarette, but I dunno whether he means a sorta branda or just distorts the word itself...

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 01:34:12 pm »
I found this:

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/hoshineko1041/35121889.html

That guy doesn't know what ヨッポルピー is supposed to mean either, so it might be something not so obvious, or nothing at all.

Hildebrande Glossop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 03:59:00 pm »
Sweet, foreigner-speak in any language is kewl ;D
Google image brought me to this page http://www.k5.dion.ne.jp/~tooboo/juubei_izin.htm Is that the game in question?
Looks like supoppa probably is cigarette, but still not sure about yopporupi.
 「シガレット(スポッパ)」をそれぞれ
 「ヨッポルピー(じっぽのあぶら)」
Google thinks I'm searching for ヨップルピー  so maybe that's related to the pun.

My admittedly bad guess is "Yopparai+Rupee" or booze money.

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 04:52:45 pm »
I found this:

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/hoshineko1041/35121889.html

That guy doesn't know what ヨッポルピー is supposed to mean either, so it might be something not so obvious, or nothing at all.
I would suppose that's a sort of a pun.. That's how I wanted to deliver it and that's why I wanna know the origin ot the stem... Paul Jensen maybe? )
PS: Supoppa=Smoke=Spoke???

LostTemplar

• View Profile
    • au-ro-ra.net
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 05:15:41 pm »
船着場でヨッポルピーを使うと船が出る。

So maybe it's something related to a ship, port, ...

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 05:57:35 pm »
So maybe it's something related to a ship, port, ...
))))) That I know ))) Zippo Oil is used there ) I just don't wanna spoil the game until it's done and it's still too far from being done )
Another guess - it could be the way he pronounces "Zippo Abura", but it's too different... I doesn't sound like a slang or any "-ben" either...

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 06:23:24 pm »
Seems to be a whole lot of gobbledygook.

You could still give things a foreign flair by using less English-like orthography (like accici and jopporpij).

(Not sure what Gennai is in the game, but I found online that there is an actual pharmaceutical company called Gennai.
Maybe this is a reference to that company. Gennai takes that herb for burns and turns it into a medicine...
Maybe the next step in the game is to bring the "Acchichi" to Gennai.)
Hiraga Gennai was an 18th century polymath whose prime field was pharmacology.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

aishsha

• View Profile
    • Blog
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 06:27:03 pm »
Seems like "Gibumi" IS "Give me"... That seems to be a cafe network - never heard about it though...
http://www.living-gallery-furumachi.com/areablog/item-72.html

March 16, 2012, 06:28:53 pm - (Auto Merged - Double Posts are not allowed before 7 days.)
You could still give things a foreign flair by using less English-like orthography
I've got an idea of how to make it sound "foreign" - it will probably be a mix of two languages in the end ;)

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 10:09:28 am »
Another guess - it could be the way he pronounces "Zippo Abura", but it's too different... I doesn't sound like a slang or any "-ben" either...

Sounds reasonable to me.

This is a bit off topic, but just for the record, as an American ex-pat trying to move his way up through the ranks in Japanese society, "foreigner speak" tends to irk me a bit. McDonalds had an ad campaign here a few years ago revolving around an American named "Mr. James" who "blogged" about stuff using katakana for kanji -- because naturally as foreigners our ignorance of kanji is so strong that it disables kanji conversion in Japanese IMEs. 「外国人をなめてんじゃねえよ、このくそぼけ!」って言いたくなるよなぁ。

HTH
Sign THIS!

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 10:26:42 am »
Quote from: Paul Jensen
This is a bit off topic, but just for the record, as an American ex-pat trying to move his way up through the ranks in Japanese society, "foreigner speak" tends to irk me a bit. McDonalds had an ad campaign here a few years ago revolving around an American named "Mr. James" who "blogged" about stuff using katakana for kanji -- because naturally as foreigners our ignorance of kanji is so strong that it disables kanji conversion in Japanese IMEs.

You have three options.

Laugh it off, let it make you bitter, or exploit it.  ::)

Hildebrande Glossop

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 10:39:26 am »
You have three options.

Laugh it off, let it make you bitter, or exploit it. 

Well said, Tom :D

Amazing what you can accomplish when you play to people's expectations...Example A: Detective Columbo
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:31:08 pm by Hildebrande Glossop »

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 02:20:18 pm »
Sounds reasonable to me.

This is a bit off topic, but just for the record, as an American ex-pat trying to move his way up through the ranks in Japanese society, "foreigner speak" tends to irk me a bit. McDonalds had an ad campaign here a few years ago revolving around an American named "Mr. James" who "blogged" about stuff using katakana for kanji -- because naturally as foreigners our ignorance of kanji is so strong that it disables kanji conversion in Japanese IMEs. 「外国人をなめてんじゃねえよ、このくそぼけ!」って言いたくなるよなぁ。

HTH
I don't think that will ever go away. My Japanese isn't nearly as good as yours yet, but it's pretty good for a foreigner. Most Japanese people tended to be shocked when I could speak with correct grammar, let alone tell them that I could write kanji, or read about 800 of them.

Their expectation is that if we come to Japan, we're likely just there to visit, not to learn their language. And that their language is so difficult to learn that most foreigners wouldn't bother. Many Japanese people I met who were studying English also explained that many Japanese people spend 10+ years studying English in school but never reach the level of fluency that some of our Japanese-language students had in two or three years, which also leads to their surprise.

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior