News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Thingy32 (text editor)  (Read 5871 times)

paranvoi

• View Profile
Thingy32 (text editor)
« on: March 08, 2012, 06:54:34 pm »
Anyone got experience with this program? I'm thinking of using it for translating a GBA pokemon game. But:

1) Is there an English version? I've got the Spanish version at the moment and seen screenshots of a German version, but no English...
2) Furthermore, are there any guides for this program in general? I've found one in German that I'm reading through with Google Translate, but the text is understandably clunky and difficult to understand.

What I need help with at the moment is inserting a line of text that is longer than the original. I cannot for example insert a 6-character word into the position of a 4-character word because it is 2 characters longer than the original. It looks like you have to write the text to a different location and then change the pointer that directs to it with Advance Map (a scripting program I believe). Help?

Azkadellia

• Forum Moderator
  • 提交向你的情妇!
    • View Profile
    • Princess Translations
Re: Thingy32 (text editor)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 07:01:51 pm »
1. Rarely anyone uses Thingy32.
2. There's better hex editors out there.
Current Projects: On hold indefinitely.
I do the Twitter thing now: https://twitter.com/MistressSaeko (expect lots of game streaming announcements)
Mistress of the RHDN Discord server.

paranvoi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 09:33:29 pm »
I've tried WindHex but it's far too complicated for me to use. Thingy32 is nice because you can change the text directly in the program without having to dump it to a .txt file first.

Malias

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 02:07:04 am »
I've tried WindHex but it's far too complicated for me to use. Thingy32 is nice because you can change the text directly in the program without having to dump it to a .txt file first.

You can edit the text in Windhex too, you know.  Just press tab and edit away.  Not that I'd recommend this method for translation.  Script dumping really does make text editing easier.
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

paranvoi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 12:39:05 pm »
You can edit the text in Windhex too, you know.  Just press tab and edit away.  Not that I'd recommend this method for translation.  Script dumping really does make text editing easier.

Oh well what do you know! I never knew you could do that with Windhex. There's still the problem with inserting text longer than the original, though. Is there a way to type in the text elsewhere (in a blank area where's there's nothing but FFFFFFFF, for example) and then change the pointers that a specific area of the dialogue points to, i.e. from the location of the original text to the location of the translated text?

Malias

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 07:17:55 pm »
You can do that, but pretty soon you'll end up with a disorganized mess of strings with pointers pointing every which way.  I'd recommend that you dump your script with something like Cartographer, do your translating and editing, and reinsert it with Atlas.  That way, your script is reinserted neatly, you don't have to worry about manually redirecting pointers, and any future edits to your script can be easily inserted.
The great achievement is to lose one's reason for no reason, and to let my lady know that if I can do this without cause, what should I do if there were cause?
     ~Don Quixote~

paranvoi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 12:09:03 am »
You can do that, but pretty soon you'll end up with a disorganized mess of strings with pointers pointing every which way.  I'd recommend that you dump your script with something like Cartographer, do your translating and editing, and reinsert it with Atlas.  That way, your script is reinserted neatly, you don't have to worry about manually redirecting pointers, and any future edits to your script can be easily inserted.

Aaaagh that's exactly what I was trying to avoid.

Is there a simple, non-complicated way of dumping a game's script? The game in question has what looks like 500 different pointer tables that, to the best of my knowledge, have to be sought out one-by-one, which is sooo tedious. Plus some don't even dump correctly, resulting in either empty .txt files or ones in which the text is incomplete... i.e. where the first 1-3 letters of every line is missing, etc.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 10:44:18 am »
Then it sounds like the game just doesn't store its text in a neat and easy to hack format.

Unfortunately, messy formats and tedious tasks are a pretty common thing in ROM hacking.
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

paranvoi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 03:14:10 pm »
Ok regarding the incomplete dumps. I asked someone for help and he told me they could be a result of 1 of 3 things:

1. They're actually substrings, which are pointed to from elsewhere in the game's coding (dictionary-packing or something like that?)
2. They're made up graphically of, for example, 16- or 8-bit pieces, and in between every 8th or 16th bit there comes an address in the "screen-/video-memory" (yay Google translate...) to which the text is then drawn, "or some other special type of coding"
3. Maybe WindHex is interpreting some bit as a line break, but in all actuality the bit is something else such as a change of speed or some control (change of colour, focus, or anything).

He gave me those explanations but didn't tell me a way to fix the problem.... does anyone know what I can do to fix any of those possibilites? :\

The problem text in question is the menu-text which gets dumped like this (here's an extract):
Code: [Select]
//ATUS P[LINE]
//ROBLEM[LINE]
//END[LINE]

That should read "STATUS PROBLEM" but the first 2 letters of "STATUS" are missing, plus there's an unnessecary line break after the first letter of "PROBLEM". The entire dumped .txt file looks like that.