News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: The worst translated N64 title - デンリュウイライラボウ  (Read 9456 times)

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
But the official English name that’s been done is “The Irritating Maze” :E
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
That's the arcade version, like I mentioned already. The PS1 version is "Irritating Stick."
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
But which one do we use?! \o.O/

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

Zoinkity

• View Profile
Why are you hating on "Holy Sword Legend 3"?

If you get right down to it the internal serial ID was NIRJ - Irritating Rod - despite NISJ not being taken at that point.  The real issue is the name is silly and certainly incomplete. 
You can certainly understand "The Irritating Maze", since it does at least convey something about what the heck the game is.  If it were a choice between current official translations it's the less accurate but better of the two.  "Irritating" is contexually lacking, and quite honestly it seems a complete and total rename would be better.  Keep in mind goodN64 stupidly translated it as "Fire Electric Pen" for some innane reason, and its hardly the only error they have in the set.

Probably just make something up in the end. 

On a completely different note all the audio and menu images have been dumped (plus some other stuff).  Amazingly, the game has no font.  Everything is handled through images.  First I've ever seen like that.  It also has an inordinate amount of empty space and no compression.  Seriously, over half the ROM is empty.  360 sound files, most of them speech.  Horrible music.  I'll probably go back through and dump all the telemetry as well.  Archive with the stuff, if you'd liek to peruse it:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ki9bazk952ofz

Paul Jensen

• View Profile
My suggestion: go for something catchy. Something that sprang to my mind is "Stick 'n' Shock".

Also, a little off topic, but "Holy Sword Legend" probably sounds bad because it's structually ambiguous -- it's unclear whether the Sword is Holy or whether the Legend is Holy. "Legend of the Sacred Sword" avoids the ambiguity, plus it has a alliteration and a better cadence.

HTH
Sign THIS!

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Amazingly, the game has no font.  Everything is handled through images.  First I've ever seen like that.

Sylvanian Melodies. Though it does use compression. (But not for the dialogue, bizarrely enough!)
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.