News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: The worst translated N64 title - デンリュウイライラボウ  (Read 9444 times)

Zoinkity

• View Profile
N64 電流イライラ棒, or デンリュウイライラボウ in the internal header.
It's been translated as everything from "Fire Electric Pen", "lightning rod frustrating", "frustrating current bar", "Electric Current Iraira Rod", or the infamous "Irritated Rod".
What is it really supposed to be?

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
電流 = electric current
イライラ = irritation, gets on nerves, aggravating, causing impatience
棒 = stick, rod, staff

You can translate it a number of ways, and it wouldn’t be incorrect (the thing with words like ira-ira is that they are far more prevalent in Japanese than in English and are not the easiest to pin down and translate well). I would put this one down as Annoying Shock Stick, but that’s just me. From its concept, though, it might be better to say “anxiety-inducing” if not for the lack of euphony.

It’s really supposed to be 電流イライラ棒.
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Kiyoshi Aman

• RHDN Patreon Supporter!
  • Browncoat Captain
    • View Profile
    • Aerdan's Blog
I'd probably go with 'Annoying Cattle Prod' myself, but that's just one implementation of the shock-stick concept. (Admittedly, it's the only one in general production—to my knowledge, anyway—but...details.)

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Why not "Irritating Stick," like the PS1 version's US release? There's also an arcade version which GameFAQs lists as "The Irritating Maze."
In the event of a firestorm, the salad bar will remain open.

DarknessSavior

• Darkness.
    • View Profile
    • DS: No, not the Nintendo one.
Given that the game itself is about running a stick through a maze that gives the player electric shocks? You should probably try and make the title reflect that. Something like "Irritating Shock Rod".

~DS
Red Comet: :'( Poor DS. Nobody loves him like RC does. :'(
Sliver-X: LET ME INFRINGE UPON IT WITH MY MOUTH
DSRH - Currently working on: Demon's Blazon, Romancing SaGa, FFIV EasyType.
http://www.youtube.com/user/DarknessSavior

geishaboy

• View Profile
    • The Retro Underground
I'd scrap it an name it something else completely

"That game operation on crack" has a nice ring to it

Romsstar

• View Profile
Maybe "Electric Rod of Irritation", "Eletric Riled Rod" sounds kinda funny too D:
For such a stupid Title you would probably have to go with something stupid as a translation as well.
I favour Electric Riled Rod .xD

Zoinkity

• View Profile
Thanks, and didn't realize that the little duplicated emotives were so common.  Probably the only one I'd heard of until now was doki-doki.  Neato!

A horribly stereotyped variation on the literal name would be funny...  In fact, the layout and theme would cater to it, with increasingly larger and longer rows of gold letters.  After listening to some of the game's voiceover it seems they took it straight from the game show.  Is it a little over the top to use:
        10000 Watt
    Anxiety-Inducing
Super Electric Shock Stick

+_+

Oh, incidentally, the game has several hundred voice captures for all the bizare things they yell at you.  A lot more than most, and they're pretty clear for being midi-ish.  Besides that, there's maybe a couple dozen lines of text, all boring menu stuff. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:15:58 am by Zoinkity »

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
I still vote for "Irritating Stick."

Romsstar

• View Profile
Ok just thought of a even more ridiculous Translation.

Since a lance is used for earthing in
electricity,

how about the

"The 1000000 Volt Lance"  ? exaggerating a lot, but I was thinking of One Piece and the Rod Enel is always using and came up with this..xD

Jazz

• View Profile
    • Jetran
"Shocking Stick" sometimes it's better to not be so literal in your translation if you wanted to localise it to something english speaking countries can relate with.
"Electrod Labyrinth" would be something I would consider more localised. I've never played it so accuracy in my title my be a tad to the left-of-right.
Jetran Website
View for Gameboy english translation projects

Discord: Jazz#9202

Zoinkity

• View Profile
The lance thing is surprisingly accurate to the way this goes.  So everyone knows, the actual game consists of two sets of electrified rails along with a few trinkets to make things interesting.  You are supposed to move a rod through the maze to the end without shocking the snot out of yourself.  Home version is pretty much the same, minus the zapping.  Almost surprised they didn't add an electric shock adapter, concidering they made a heartbeat sensor for Tetris.

Crazy stupid game. 

Naturally, they try to be as overdramatic as possible.  Part of the reason I'm shooting for a very long name is to cover up no less than four lines of increasingly-larger gold letters, since it would be easier to just make a new backdrop than copying over that.  This is a game that has a couple hundred audio files for random commentary. 

Oh, looked up the cart ID and it reads NIRJ, presupposing "Irritated Rod".  That's up there with "Tube Slider".  So, the idea was to get at least some idea of what the title actually reads and try to stretch it out a little to fill the screen.

KingMike

• Forum Moderator
  • *sigh* A changed avatar. Big deal.
    • View Profile
This is a game that has a couple hundred audio files for random commentary. 
Been awhile since I tried it, so I can't remember, does that include, like the PlayStation version, the game SCREAMING AT YOU to break your concentration? :P (and quite possibly where the "Irritating" part of the title comes from)
"My watch says 30 chickens" Google, 2018

Flan

The seller of a copy translated it roughly as "Electric nervous stick" so I'll throw my 2 cents for "Lightning rod".
(and yes, the box art is... interesting)

Zoinkity

• View Profile
In single player they do; multiplayer not so much except when a player hits a checkpoint or passes another.  You don't think the insane banter gives it a special charm? ;*)

I think 'irritating' may refer to the strange excitation in the metal rod when holding it close to an actively charged electrode.  Kind of like if you're an idiot and hold a screwdriver next to an ungrounded light socket.  (Always flip the breaker before playing with wiring!)  Still, the anxiety thing is probably a better fit.

BRPXQZME

• じー
    • View Profile
    • The BRPXQZME Network
The reason it is so difficult to do a direct translation of these Japanese “sound effect” words is because of things like... in this case, it means both to lose your nerves due to frustration, and to lose your nerves in the sense of not having enough of a steady hand...

hands are shaking hands are shaking boom headshot
we are in a horrible and deadly danger

Jazz

• View Profile
    • Jetran
What about

"Zap Labyrinth"

"Zap-Rod"
Jetran Website
View for Gameboy english translation projects

Discord: Jazz#9202

Zoinkity

• View Profile
hands are shaking hands are shaking boom headshot
Cute ;*)

Jorpho

• The cat screams with the voice of a man.
    • View Profile
At this point it wouldn't make much sense to call it anything but Irritating Stick.  To do otherwise would be like, say, calling Secret Of Mana 2 "Holy Sword Legend 3".

Part of the reason I'm shooting for a very long name is to cover up no less than four lines of increasingly-larger gold letters, since it would be easier to just make a new backdrop than copying over that.
Maybe throw in some troll faces?  They seem appropriate, albeit perhaps too trendy.
This signature is an illusion and is a trap devised by Satan. Go ahead dauntlessly! Make rapid progres!

Ryusui

• It's the greatest day.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
At this point it wouldn't make much sense to call it anything but Irritating Stick.  To do otherwise would be like, say, calling Secret Of Mana 2 "Holy Sword Legend 3".

High five.

Seriously, there's already an official English name for the game, and it translates the important part of the Japanese title - are we really going to be so pedantic as to complain that "Irritating Stick" doesn't mention that it's electric?