News: 11 March 2016 - Forum Rules
Current Moderators - DarkSol, KingMike, MathOnNapkins, Azkadellia, Danke

Author Topic: Phantasy Star Generations 1 and 2 PS2  (Read 13766 times)

Hiei-

• View Profile
Re: Phantasy Star Generations 1 and 2 PS2
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2014, 06:58:27 pm »
After Tryphon looked at the game and amazingly broke near all the limitations (VWF and such), I finally started to translate this game into french and I can now officially say that the text translation is over (100%) since a few seconds ago.

There is also an english translation in progress by Kyence, who translated the first one (though this one will look better thanks to Tryphon hacking, as the first one was very limited hacking-wise because of the lack of a talented (and with free time) hacker).

I suppose both we will be available sometimes during this year, as Kyence seems to be pretty fast for the english version (I personally was a bit lazy and it took me one year to translate the ~500 KB script, though this year also cover all the beta-test/debug of the tools. We did something like 20 versions of the SLPM before having something that was fully working with the original hardware and I'm glad I bugged Tryphon about that  ;D).

flyingclimber

• amateur rom hacker, translator, and developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2014, 03:05:57 am »
Great job guys. Do you have any write up of the tools and process you used? I'd love to see how it was done as I'm a huge Phantasy Star fan and I just got Generation 2 in the mail. Would love to tinker with it for this.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2014, 03:15:18 am »
I plan to release the tools I wrote along with French translation (I'm currently rereading it), and to write some stuff about the game code on the wiki (I started to write some things some time ago but it's far from complete).

The Generations 1 Brazilian translator found small bugs recently, I fixed them but there may remains some.

flyingclimber

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2014, 05:09:06 am »
Let me know if you need any help curating or getting that content ready. Happy to help out where ever.

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2014, 09:39:15 pm »
French translation, for the fews who might be interested here, will be released Monday on PSCave and we will then add the patch on romhacking.net too.

I don't have news yet for the english translation but from the last news I had, it's always in progress :)

contra

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2014, 08:41:48 am »
Thats so great! As a huge PS fan this is like the holy grail of translations to me.
Even though I dont speak french this is great news. Hats off to everyone involved! merci!  :)

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2014, 08:35:23 pm »
At least, waiting for the english patch, it'll still be easier to play in french than in japanese (lot of french words looks like english one, so it's easier for menus/items/etc...)  :laugh:

obscurumlux01

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2014, 10:37:44 pm »
First off, holy necro; two years later O_O

Secondly, here's Kyence's official page with the patches for PSG1:
http://www.kyence.net/PS1G1/

I have a bit of a dialogue with them so if people are interested in having the patch mirrored here officially, I can talk to them (or one of the admins here can contact Kyence directly).

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2014, 02:36:21 am »
First off, holy necro; two years later O_O

Yeah, it take time to do a translation. Though the text translation was finished since January, it took near this whole year to finish everything.

I just noticed the game was released on PS3 as a PS2 classic so I'll bought it tonight and try to apply the translation on it (would be neat to be able to play it on a PS3, though it would require a custom firmware, but as I have one, it's not a big problem).

flyingclimber

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2014, 02:21:51 pm »
That's so great. I'd love to see a write up/blog post/etc to see what it was like to rom hack this release.

thanks in advance.

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2014, 03:46:17 pm »
To summarize, I'd say it was epic. I don't think I'll try to hack a PS2 game, unless PCSX2 get an usable debugger some day (the debug version you can find on this site and others simply doesn't work at all on my computers).

Dashman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2014, 04:09:15 pm »
I think some months ago Kingcom finished a debugger for PCSX2. Did you try that one?

tryphon

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2014, 04:11:17 pm »
Last time I checked, it wasn't finished and you needed to compile yourself, and I never succeeded in compiling PCSX2. But I was done with the game hacking anyway. What took us so much time was the beta-testing and proof-reading.

I'm pretty sure it would have made the hacking much easier if I had it when I began the job though (provided I achieve to make it work)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 04:31:01 pm by tryphon »

Hiei-

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2014, 12:50:41 pm »
Managed to get the translation working on PS3 (seems normal it's working as the original game has been released on the PSN and I suppose they test games before releasing them  ;D)